Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: HW50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:02 pm 

Personally, i and a number of other pest control Buddies go with the Hw50 over the 95, 80 and 77.

I think there wasa trend for huge nad heavy Airrifles back in the 80s and 90s but lost sight of the fact that most .22 (firearm) pest control was done with 6.5 LB weapons.
Typically, Rook shooting was done while enduring hours in hides, and then shooting up into the tops of trees, while most other forms of hunting small game involves lengthy stalks.
Thus, provided we are getting the required 10ftlbs or so, i believe that weight limitting is the outstanding consideration, espeacially if are fitting Scopes.

My all time greatest springer....the BSF 55 at 855 fps .177 for 6.2lbs

Post subject: My 2 cents
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:42 pm 

Hi Todd

Since you're looking for opinions, my choice between the two would be a 95 in .22.

I'd want tha shortest, lightest yet most powerful and I'm assuming (don't have the specs in front of me) that the 95 (especially a 95carbine) is the shortest and lightest an they are both pretty similar power wise. The 80 is definately a bigger gun.

As to the other suggestions, the 50 is nice (just picked up one) and cocking is no big deal but if you are just going to have just one gun I'd go for a more powerful gun.

As for .25, they do hit HARD but what is you availability of pellets. I know a guy who sold his .25 because getting pellets was a PITA . It might not matter to you but it's something to think about. I've got a Patriot in .25 and it's a keeper but if I could only have one I'd go with something a bit smaller and lighter and in 22 or .177. Course you could always get a 95 in .22 with an extra .25 barrel.

Other guns to consider...a Supersport but the HWs are done better in my opinion. If you could get the latest incarnation of a Webley Vulcan that would be a serious contender but aftermarket or factory parts are much more accessable if you get a HW. Another option would be the Chinese version. They are supposed to be good and are the same size as the 95 I think. You could also use the extra money you save for some accessories. But again, if I could just have one I think I'd get a HW.

As I said that my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:39 am 

I would look into the HW90 in .22cal if I were you.
I've had both the PAL rated HW95 and the Beeman RX-2 (HW90),I find the HW95 to be really twangy out of the box and alot more hold sensitive compared to say a HW50S.I think the R1 (HW80) would be even worse then the 95.
But I find the gas-ram to be quite reasonable in recoil (no twang) and hold sensitivity,just a quick jolt and thats about it.Feels more like a low cal firearm then any springer.HTH

S&W M&P 9mm
Mossberg 590 12g
Winchester 94 30-30
Webley Radier 10 .177cal

Post subject: Test results
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:26 pm 

Heres my set of test results with an early HW80 versus my 1 year old HW50.
For completeness, i should state that the 80 used was not my gun, and as such, some unfamiliararity must be taken into account for the 80 fan side but to help minimize this, the Guns were fired from a shooting bench, and my friend swears by the smoothness, and accuracy of his well run in 80.

Pellets used are Crosman Premier @ 30 yards fixed bench with Hawke 4x 40 duplex reticule scopes. 5 shot groups

HW80 HW50

1.35 INCHES CTC 1.25
1.25 1.30
1.40 1.30

Clearly, the more powerful HW80 has matched my HW50 but i might claim less consistantly.
It was certainly a lot of gun to arrest, and i noticed a big differance when i lifted the guns off the bench.
Its a shame i couldnt get hold of the less common 95 but im happy with my HW50 choice, currently hitting 11.2ftlbs

Post subject: My two cents
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:58 pm 

Todd, I think you should go with the HW95 instead of a HW50. I have both and, since the are Weihrauch products, they are perfect but if you intend to hunt, you should have some extra power/range. With a less powerfull airgun, everytime you don't have a clean kill, you will ask yourself if a more powerfull airgun would have made a difference. Of course it's not the case all the time but just to clear your mind you should take the HW95. Now about the HW80; there is not much difference in power with the HW95 but there is a big difference when it comes to weight. That's why I would prefer to go with the lightest of these airguns.

Post subject: Re: HW80 or HW95???
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 pm 

Hi guys , Frank Todd , long time...
I'm chiming in because I've been looking for a .25cal for 6 years. I mean I tried to find a used .25cal in HW80K , HW85K , Tomahawk England ) , Patriot , Sting Ray , BSA SS , and even just a BSA SS barrel in .25 would be good. The BSA's have a huge performance advantage being very light weight and so powerful.
So I can't figure out after all these years the differences between the HW85 .25cal and the closer cousins HW80 , HW95 ??
Also all these models can be ordered now before their next order in November. Expected date of arrival is March. Or July the latest.
So far I asked for the HW80K in .25cal. If anyone here has a HW85 in any caliber I would love to see a pic.
Thanks for your help,
Captain Air

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:04 pm 

Captain Air wrote:
Hi guys , Frank Todd , long time...
I'm chiming in because I've been looking for a .25cal for 6 years. I mean I tried to find a used .25cal in HW80K , HW85K , Tomahawk England ) , Patriot , Sting Ray , BSA SS , and even just a BSA SS barrel in .25 would be good. The BSA's have a huge performance advantage being very light weight and so powerful.
So I can't figure out after all these years the differences between the HW85 .25cal and the closer cousins HW80 , HW95 ??
Also all these models can be ordered now before their next order in November. Expected date of arrival is March. Or July the latest.
So far I asked for the HW80K in .25cal. If anyone here has a HW85 in any caliber I would love to see a pic.
Thanks for your help,
Captain Air

Here's my HW85 from 2016, in .22 caliber. 18'' barrel and Rekord trigger, beech stock with checkered grip and excellent original iron sights. Very accurate with H&N FTT. Same action as an HW95 I think.

Attachments:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 85.6 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 54.43 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 66.64 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:08 pm 

Hi Todd ,
I just relieved today my new Beeman R9 in .22cal . I made the decision by scrapping my idea of the R9 in .25cal from AOA . But I shot my Proxima in .25 cal at our cottage and it was hitting louder and harder then all my springers. And it was under powered. So the /25cal in my opinion is more fun. But a good .22cal is necessary .
Captain Air

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:26 am 

I love the smooth stock and the dark brown. It's a beauty. I'm not sure if the action is the same as the HW95/R9 .
My likes to shoot the Predator GTO 11.75gr and the .18gr JSB .
Captain Air

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 pm 

Boys - about the Taylor knockout values - John Taylor, the originator of the Taylor knockout formula, was an Ivory and Horn poaching Englishman in Dutch East Africa in the 1930's to 50's(maybe into 60's) I think the period was. This knockdown formula was all about game, not police use against criminals. Other forumla were applied to that, as in momentum- pounds/feet, fpe and perhaps knockout values as well, although in 40 years of being in that line of work & study, I've not heard of knockout values used on humans.
In pure momentum, the .45 col 230 fmj out-did the favourite .357 mag loads of 125HP's and 140gr. HP's.
Edward Marshall, retired cop went around the usa gathering stats from policemen who had been shot on their vests and what their reactions were.
That was interesting.
9MM, .38 SPL, .357 mag. all felt like getting poked hard with a finger & remained standing and shooting back.
.45 Auto 230gr. FMJ, .44spl, .45 Colt and .44 Mag. all took the feet from under the cop, sat him down, most vomited & all were too sick to continue to fight.

John Taylor's Book, "African Rifles and Cartridges" is a MUST READ, if at all interested in this sort of think - guns and the actual knock down power they had. This book explains when and why he devised the formula. None of the other power formulae took into consideration bullet size, which he found was VERY important to actual stopping power. They also gave double credit to velocity, which he found was in gross error. The book is also quite interesting for those with interest in African game as it covers a lot of that.
Your local library should have it and if not, can get it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:43 am 

I found the same results with rats in a barn years ago. My Airsoft 6mm shooting 20s was 700fps. but I used 40s . It was a quicker dispatch than .177cal traveling I believe 585 fps out of a HW30S. My Airsoft was a AR10 variant I dropped $2000 for this beast. I was told it would only last a year but it lasted 2. Anyway so the bigger plastic Airsoft ball was more effective. I said then , Wow ?
Captain Air