Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:55 pm 

it's weird quiestion.. but is there any rule to use a scope with a rangefinder reticle?... how can i estimate the range between the line and the dots? ... any help?

N.B: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=204723

scroll down the site to see the reticle im talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:25 am 

I do not actually understand the question, but if you are looking for rangefinder reticle scope, you should know that it is too important to buy only original airgun parts. There are a lot of certified products at any taste. Traditionally, I use the search to find reviews for products to understand what exact thing suits me best. For a long time, I use the help of such resource as https://gearexpertguides.com/best-ski-gloves/ where I can find everything from hunting gear to Shooting & Archery. You can find all the necessary info out of that resource.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 am 

I think Wes (wesb2007) carries some of these hunting scope under brand 'Discovery'...

But I don't good at maths and no go hunting plus no high power long range guns, so I don't know too much about it, but it looks a but complicated to me to calculate out the distance by the picture target size and the dots... Image

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:17 am 

From what I remember the range lines are for a specific height of an object, for example if it was set for something 12” tall you would line up the object until it would fit between the range marks and you would know it’s approx distance from you. Now I can’t remember what height the range marks are actually for and it may be something specific to the manufacturer or i’m completely out to lunch on this.

Also it matters if the scope it first focal plane or second focal plane as it is probably set to a specific magnification for a second focal plane scope.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:24 am 

It depends on the reticle. Your link is a gateway to a sporting goods store and does not show a specific scope or reticle....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:25 am 

Here’s an example using the discovery scopes reticle

Attachments:
409F4422-19DA-4FAD-ABE2-AB82C90F6A0E.jpeg
409F4422-19DA-4FAD-ABE2-AB82C90F6A0E.jpeg [ 363.97 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:38 pm 

That is complicated - for me. Same with mil dot separations. I find the easiest is MOA slashes, approx. 1" for each 100yards.
This is the scope I like best for this, a 4-16X with 30 minutes of angle between the centre cross hairs and the vertical post.
Each line is 2 moa, or 2" at whatever range. Fro example, if you know something is 10" high, and it fits between the cross hair and the first line,
it is 500yards away.
I still prefer using a laser range finder, and check the markings I have on my scope for the correct mil dot or moa mark to use.

Attachments:
Vortex MOA Scope Reticle.jpg
Vortex MOA Scope Reticle.jpg [ 79.73 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]