Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:08 pm 

Here on Vancouver Island, the south end, I don't recall hearing about a FT club. I don't believe the range up the Malahat does it.

So if one was to start one, what would be required to do? Insurance? Permits, etc...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:52 pm 

I suggest that you pose this question in a pm to either Keyrigger or Mac from this forum. Mac is the president of CAFTA, and Keyrigger has just rewritten all the rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:23 pm 

The best place you can hold an event, would be at a gun club with lots of land available beyond where you can set up some lanes for shooting. It can be done on private property, but you really need a lot of land to do so, and also be able to discharge firearms on the land, without being in violation of any ordnance rules. Not as big an issue as I thought it was, but it is still there and you can get some grief over it.

Once you have found a club that will let you scrape out some lanes, you will need to think about either backstops that will stop pellets that miss (we don't miss, well, rarely miss) the target completely. It is a good idea to have the officer that approves the range, have a look over what you are doing and give his blessing. If you have a good one, you will not have a bit of trouble, unless he sees something that you might have missed during your setup. Think about looking on Google Earth for where your range is going to be, and look to see that you have at least 400 yards beyond the end of the lane, clear of buildings and roadways.

Under normal circumstances, you will never need to worry about pellets leaving where you are shooting, but just in case a gun malfuntions at the wrong time, you are covered. Look into what ever insurance the club is using and join with that outfit. I have used the CSSA for many years (Ontario Handgun Assoc. before that) and that insurance covers me anywhere I shoot, at any time. The club will have liability insurance for the rest of the place, but you can get in contact with an insurance provider, like the CSSA, and see if they have riders available for a group gathering at a private place, is you go that route.

Start with that, and see where the information gets you. Your most difficult thing might be getting enough targets and shooters for your first event. When the rules are launched on the new web site, the Hunter Division should be the runaway favourite of all new shooters. Take care, and Merry Christmas.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?