Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm 

My father and I have the ball rolling to get out and shoot some FT this year. We will be writing our PAL exams soon so that we can purchase the rifles we want.
He has a nice big piece of property (60+acres) where we will be able to practice.
My question is - how do we practice? My assumption would be to grab a couple of Gamo targets and start shooting, but I know it can't be as easy as that :lol:
How should we go about challenging ourselves so that we really learn how to use our rifles/scopes so that we'd be somewhat prepared for an actual FT competition? What targets/equipment should we purchase?
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:24 pm 

I never fired a shot at an actual Field Target target until the first shot of my first competition. I would spend the time zeroing your rifle and then getting to know exactly where it will shoot at any of the distances you might encounter during a match, from the shooting position you plan to adopt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:36 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
My father and I have the ball rolling to get out and shoot some FT this year. We will be writing our PAL exams soon so that we can purchase the rifles we want.
He has a nice big piece of property (60+acres) where we will be able to practice.
My question is - how do we practice? My assumption would be to grab a couple of Gamo targets and start shooting, but I know it can't be as easy as that :lol:
How should we go about challenging ourselves so that we really learn how to use our rifles/scopes so that we'd be somewhat prepared for an actual FT competition? What targets/equipment should we purchase?
Thanks!

Why don't you come on down to the FT shoot in Port Colborne this Saturday? You will get to meet a lot of the local FT shooters, and I will bring my HW97KL along for you to give a hands on inspection, and a few shots to see how it feels. You'll be able to see some of the targets, how the lanes are set up, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:29 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
Why don't you come on down to the FT shoot in Port Colborne this Saturday? You will get to meet a lot of the local FT shooters, and I will bring my HW97KL along for you to give a hands on inspection, and a few shots to see how it feels. You'll be able to see some of the targets, how the lanes are set up, etc.
What time is it at? I'm actually writing my PAL exam this Saturday in Brantford, so it likely won't work out.... :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:45 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Suprmatic wrote:
What time is it at? I'm actually writing my PAL exam this Saturday in Brantford, so it likely won't work out.... :(

Nope, definitely won't work. Good luck on the exam !!!!! I'm sure that you'll ace it!! :supz:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:24 am 

Suprmatic wrote:
Nope, definitely won't work. Good luck on the exam !!!!! I'm sure that you'll ace it!! :supz:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! So any more recommendations as far as practicing goes? Are the Gamo squirrel targets that D&L sell a good thing to practice with?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:16 am 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Suprmatic wrote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! So any more recommendations as far as practicing goes? Are the Gamo squirrel targets that D&L sell a good thing to practice with?

Yes the Gamo squirrel is a great target. We use them in competition some. Bass Pro stocks them, and LeBaron may as well. Gamo is in the process of expanding their line of Field Targets. I look forward to seeing what they come out with.

If you ever want more target selection, these target are super heavy duty are work real well:
- http://fieldtargets.com/id33.htm
- http://poundedpaddletargets.com/Glossary.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:07 pm 

CJN wrote:
Yes the Gamo squirrel is a great target. We use them in competition some. Bass Pro stocks them, and LeBaron may as well. Gamo is in the process of expanding their line of Field Targets. I look forward to seeing what they come out with.

If you ever want more target selection, these target are super heavy duty are work real well:
Thanks for the info! So it sounds as though I just need to buy the gear and start shooting!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:15 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
CJN wrote:

Thanks for the info! So it sounds as though I just need to buy the gear and start shooting!

I think you will really like it.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:01 am 
Supporting Member 2009

Well, you can spend a fair amount of time setting up your rifle, if you wish, but it's not totally necessary to get started.

The most important thing is to know where you point of impact (POI) is for ranges from 10-55 yards. There are software programs such as ChairGun that will get you started, but nothing beats shooting to see.

There's tonnes more you can do, but this is a start. If you're really gun-ho, let me know and I can detail a bunch more for you.