Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:25 pm 

ok keyrigger i defer to your greater experience :) i just wait and save up a bit longer lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:09 am 

All I have is a couple of shot to bejeepers, ho-hum, Gamo squirrels with a quick and dirty 2 colour repaint - black on the squirrel, orange on the paddle.

Hey, wait a miniute..... I still have one of Hans' original targets from about 15 years ago, and it's never had a pellet strike. Now it's just a matter of remembering which box it got put in when we moved out here.....10 years ago.... :roll: :lol: . Gotta' do some diggin' tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:25 am 

You got enough to set up a lane, lol. Get diggin, hehe.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:30 am 

Parker_101_ wrote:
Where's the sea food target?.... :P :lol:
That bugger was challenging..... :shock:

He still has a case of the grey measles, lol. I have not got to him yet.

cfraser wrote:
I guess I won't post the pic of my Otten raccoon again

Come on, a bit of touch up paint and get its picture in here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:41 am 

Wish I could add something to this topic, but I don't own any targets yet. I'll probably order a couple of the Gamo squirrels to practice on, then maybe make a couple of my own once I have an actual FT in my hand to *ahem* borrow the design...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:09 am 

Suprmatic wrote:
All I have is a couple of shot to bejeepers, ho-hum, Gamo squirrels with a quick and dirty 2 colour repaint - black on the squirrel, orange on the paddle.

Hey, wait a miniute..... I still have one of Hans' original targets from about 15 years ago, and it's never had a pellet strike. Now it's just a matter of remembering which box it got put in when we moved out here.....10 years ago.... :roll: :lol: . Gotta' do some diggin' tomorrow.

Solid colours and simple repaints may be the preferred choice once we get rolling this season. Hunter class should produce a spray of abuse to the target faces. Fancy painted targets may get more shelf time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:47 am 

Don has already shown one of my favorites, the Vulture.

There are so many nice FT target designs out there, and its quite difficult to choose favorites, but here are a few of mine that I like:

Otten Weasel:

Otten Porcupine:

Otten Quail:

Otten Woodpecker (side mount):

Pounded Paddle Crab:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:56 am 

Nice!

And yeah, that buzzard/vulture sure looks pretty...now.

Can somebody clarify that tape thing Keyrigger mentioned? I've heard of it, but don't follow it...

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well. - Murphy's Other Laws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:31 pm 

I found it! A "vintage" field target.
This is one of Hans' first designs, and dates back at least 15 or so years back. I had hoped to get one of his original vultures, but I missed out, and this was the only one left at the time for sale. This design was short lived, due to the tendency for them to trip with a solid face hit from the more powerful guns in use at the time.

These are the battered Gamo squirrels, ready for a new season of pounding. After one of the fun shoots, the reducer ring on the left hand squirrel had close to 1/4" of lead splatter built up on it it, all around the kill zone - LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm 

cfraser wrote:
Can somebody clarify that tape thing Keyrigger mentioned? I've heard of it, but don't follow it...

The usual procedure is to paint the paddle a bright colour, so that it can be seen through the kill zone hole in the face of the target. After a few shots, the paint is basted off the paddle, making it hard to see.

With the "tape thing", rather than worry about the paddle, the bright coloured vinyl tape is stuck to the back of the target face, covering the kill zone hole. The vinyl tape tends to "self heal" after a pellet passes through it, to strike the paddle. It takes a lot more shots at the target before the kill zone starts to become difficult to see.

An unexpected plus of using the tape that has been observed, is that when the sunlight hits the back of the target (and thus, the tape) at just the right angle, it backlights the kill zone, making it very visible to the shooter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:48 pm 

cfraser:

In some dollar store, Mac was able to find some rolls of semi-transparent tape that was plastic, rather than cloth (or paper) based. The paint on the paddles is very quickly removed by the constant hammering by pellets, and only the first few shooters on a target, has the best sight picture possible. Covering the paddle had been tried with materials that have colour but let pellets pass through with the ability to self-heal, much like a cutting mat. We then tried covering the paddle with cloth tape, and that helped make things last a bit longer, but never much more than 4 or 5 shooter's worth. Mac was the first one, here (maybe anywhere) to find this tape and use it on the back of the target faceplate so the pellet would pass through the hole, then the tape, and finally hit the paddle. The huge advantange is the tape would part with the round nosed pellet, then close up behing it. We have had targets that have been shot at all day, and they would still last another day out on the line. Nothing will help small holes like the 3/8", but I have seen colour there after many have taken their shots at it.

Suprmatic:

I see what you mean by the mechanism. That sort of reminds me of a slightly beefed up Troyer mechanism. Oh, you have the target backwards on that stand, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:04 pm 

Keyrigger wrote:
Suprmatic:.... you have the target backwards on that stand, lol.

Bass ackwards !! :shock: :oops:
Duly noted..... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:56 pm 

what about using tinted bedliner spray for the paddles? or anodizing the paddles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:05 pm 

No matter what is applied to the paddle, the pellet impact ususally blows it off within a few shots. Even if the anodizing might still be there (first you have to get an aluminium alloy that won't crater from the impacts), the splattered lead will have it covered with each passing shot, so you are no better off than you were before. Another suggestion may come to some people's minds, it has been tried with very dangerous consiquences, and that is a clear plate of lexan attached to the paddle. It will bounce the pellet back with as much energy as it had when the pellet struck the paddle. DON'T TRY IT. It was a very dangerous attempt by a few to try and solve the problem and the tape over the back of the faceplate seems to be winning more and more clubs to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:31 pm 

To those that have added their target pictures so far, thanks. For those that have yet to post, what's keeping you? Forgot to touch up the misses from the last time out (like I have anything to brag about, took me two months to get those three done, lol)?