Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:40 pm 

Keyrigger wrote:
CJN, I know you were pulling my leg about it. I have not run it over the chronograph since last fall, and I think the velocity might even be lower than that, as my clicks were a bit different to what I had on my click chart. Hey, something to do tomorrow........

Don't we love playing with our guns!!

I enjoy the tinkering and testing nearly as much as I do the shooting.

Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:56 pm 

Thanks for the info fellows. :D What weight of pellet do you recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:22 am 
Admin-2-IC

DoctorFrankengun wrote:

Now this one is even easier answer than the last one .... lol....
I would recommend the weight of the pellets that suitable for your gun's
barrel to hit a nice accurate grouping.

Truly my last statement is still held true without any elaborating in detail.
If 700 fps is the best your gun can do to hit bullseye on the killzone and
that would be the best speed for your gun.
any other people's recommended speed for your gun and can't hit the
killzone would be so USELESS ..... (confusius 101) ..... LOL .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:52 am 

I understand what your saying Dan :wink: I just have no idea about where to begin. Not much use practicing with the wrong weight or type of pellet.
My gun shoots well with the H&N pellets that Denis got for me and the JSB Preditors that I found in the bottom of my ammo box but I don't know if either of those would be the right pellet for the type of targets and distances in FT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:56 am 

From what I have surmised, round nose pellets are the usual choice. Besides that, you simply need to purchase a few different ones and see which is most accurate in your particular gun. Try a few different brands, skirt sizes and weights.
I just placed a couple of orders and have about 6 or 7 different pellets coming to try. Once I find which of those seems to group the best I will use that for my HFT shooting.
HTHs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:42 am 
Admin-2-IC

DoctorFrankengun wrote:
I understand what your saying Dan :wink: I just have no idea about where to begin. Not much use practicing with the wrong weight or type of pellet.
My gun shoots well with the H&N pellets that Denis got for me and the JSB Preditors that I found in the bottom of my ammo box but I don't know if either of those would be the right pellet for the type of targets and distances in FT.

Perhaps to start, I would try out meisterkugln, r10, jsb exact at 50 yards,
group of 5 shots and see how well the gun can do. Usually if I can't get
good grouping out of a gun with 5 - 10 different type of pellets then I
move on to the next gun ..... or perhaps in your case you can do your
magic with the barrel. I saw the amazing job that you did with
parker's barrel ..... congrats ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:29 am 

DoctorFrankengun wrote:
g

What gun are you planning to use again?

Do you know roughly what energy or how many FPS it is shooting at?

The huge majority of FT shooter are either using JSB (Exact 8.44/Express 7.9/Heavy 10.2 all .177 or .22 Jumbo 16g) or Crosman Premier (Lights 7.9g/Heavy 10.5g .177's or 14.3g in .22). I would start with either of these brands, or better yet, both. Of course most FT shooters are using a .177, but I wanted to include the .22 weights for some who will be using that calibre.

If your gun is shooting below 800fps, I would try JSB Exact 8.44g, JSB Exact Express 7.9g, and Crosman Premier 7.9g. I would buy a pack of all three. If you want to try a couple of others, try Beeman FTS and Beeman Trophy. This is a great starting platform in my opinion.

Regarding determining the best pellet for YOUR GUN (remember each barrel has its own preferences): Paper testing is essential. My first group comparisons starts between 20-25 yards. I usually shoot around 20 pellet of each brand. Then switch to another candidate. You will likely find two or three that are almost the same, producing great 20-25 yard groups. That is when I move the paper target out to 50 yards and group test again to see what is the best of the 20-25 yard top picks. In the end you will end up with likely one pellet that groups best, and maybe one or two others that are nearly as good. You can see where a good rest and scope can help with pellet testing. You need to keep all variables the same if possible. Test on the same day, same time, same rest, same scope, etc.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:09 am 

I have never seen anyone use flat, match type pellets with much success beyond 25-30 yards. They tend to destabilize once beyond this range. They were created to shoot at 10m and are hard to beat at that distance. Pointed pellets often have a very erratic path as well.

With the rig you had pictured in another thread, CJN' advice for the pellets is very sound. The lighter JSBs, CPL, FTT, etc. would be a great place to start. These are all domed or round nosed pellets.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:51 pm 

Ok, Thats the info that I was looking for. I have had good success with H&N pellets so I'm going to order some Silhouette Diabolo for a start.

Round nose, ribbed skirt, 8.49 grain,,, 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:08 pm 

While you are at it, get one tin of Field Target Trophy. They will work a lot better at long range, than the semi wadcutter edged Silhouette. I have run both in my 410 and the Field Target Trophy was the clear winner in ease of loading and long range accuracy. BUT, try both to be certain.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:15 pm 

Keyrigger wrote:
While you are at it, get one tin of Field Target Trophy. They will work a lot better at long range, than the semi wadcutter edged Silhouette. I have run both in my 410 and the Field Target Trophy was the clear winner in ease of loading and long range accuracy. BUT, try both to be certain.

Thanks, I'll do just that. :wink: