Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Discovery for HFT
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:00 pm 

I read a thread recently where Keyrigger stated that the Discovery would need "detuning" ~ 100 fps in .177 and ~ 150 fps in .22 for use in FT.... I understand that the gun is rated at 1000 fps in .177 (which is about 18 FPE) and 900 fps in .22 (which is about 26 FPE).... I assume the factory ratings are with "normal" weight pellets (AT MOST).... :lol:

I can understand why the .22 might need detuning to keep it under 20 FPE.... but what about the .177.... Did I miss something?.... :?

While I'm asking, what would be the opinion of the FT crowd on the Leapers 4-16 x 50 AO on the .177 Discovery for an entry level HFT gun?.... We're talking about $500 for the combo.... 8)

Would there be a better choice for a scope for this rifle in HFT, cost being a major consideration here?.... :oops:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:18 pm 

No, you actually didn't miss anything about the Discovery needing a bit of a detune in either calibre. The main reason is to keep the pellets well under 1000 fps so that it remains as stable as possible. Now, if you take your chosen pellet at the factory setting, it drives tacks at 50+ yards, and is under 20 fpe, by all means go for it. In most cases, velocities over 925 tend to be a bit squirrely when trying to get the smallest possible groups. As to the .22 needing to bleed off 150 fps, that is correct, so you have a margin below 20 fpe. You could also try shooting CPH's or JSB Heavies in the .177 and it might end up just around 20 fpe, maybe a bit lower, but if memory serves me right, you must be at 915 fps with CPH's or you will be over 20.

The 30 mm 4-16 would really be your best bet of those scopes, as I have seen a few reviews on the Yellow forum about the fact that the scope is decent glass for the money. You might ask there if there are any shooters that have personally used the scope, if you are talking about the 1" 4-12. I wish I had a lottery win, as I would not bother worrying about what the cost of something was so that I could order it in to evaluate the product. Such is not the case. You will certainly not have to worry about recoil knocking the scope out of kilter. Take care.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:20 pm 

someone with HFT experience will chime in, but wouldn't a scope with a smaller bell be more suitable for FT or HFT?

my thoughts being that if you go for a 50mm objective you need higher mounts which puts the centre of the scope higher off the centre of the bore. Would this be an issue over a 44mm or 40mm objective which can be mounted closer to the gun?

Just some thoughts. With added size comes added weight, something also to consider when setting up an HFT rig for various unsupported shooting positions.

the Leapers 30mm 4-12x44 is a great scope for the money

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:37 pm 

The drawback to what you say, is the quality of the scope must be a lot higher with the smaller objective so that you have the bright sight picture you get with the larger objective and tube diameter. You do want the brightest and most clean sight picture you can get, as your estimation is going to be very critical. You can even use your mildots to estimate how far a target is away, buy using the number of dots it takes to fill the KZ, just as you would use them to estimate how far a man in standing from you.

As to unsupported positions, there are very few that are classified as that, and it usually means that all shooters are forced to use it (kneeling and standing). Not all large objective scopes weigh in over 2 pounds, lol. Mostly, what HFT shooters are using, are mildot reticules, and I know that some scopes have a few more mildot positions than the "Military Spec" mildot reticule. I think that it might be called an "Enhanced Mildot 2" reticule. I think it has two, or more, extra dots below the horizontal crosshair so you have more elevation points available, and that can be very important for a sub-500 fps air gun. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:50 pm 

OK I got it.... in .177 you "may" have to detune for accuracy.... I was thinking that with JSB or Crosman heavies it would be VERY unlikely to be over 900 anyway.... I guess I'll have to wait until more info is available on what the Discovery does in the real world with heavy pellets.... :lol:

With another look over the Leapers scopes, I now realize that it is ONLY the 30mm scopes that have the sidewheel focus.... so that brings the choices to the 4-16 x 56 AO or one of the four 3-12 x 44 AOs (the Mini, Full size, or Full size with red only or red-green illumination).... Prices run from $137 to $167, so still not too bad.... :shock:

This brings another question.... since you have to cover the distance markings in HFT.... does it make any difference if you have a sidewheel?.... :?

Anyone with opinions on the above scopes or others in a similar price range, feel free to jump in.... :D

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:21 pm 

No, it doesn't make any difference if you have a sidewheel or not. Your estimation of range is done by eye, and the wheel or front bell is only used to get a clear image. If you get a great price on a sidewheel scope that you can't pass up, and you feel you might step beyond HFT in the near future, go for it. Honestly, a sidewheel scope on 16 power, is not going to be able to range find like a 24 or 32 power scope. My recomendation of the 30 mm tube scopes, is for their brightness of image, not for the sidewheel.