Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:16 pm 

sniper wrote:
...hmmmm I see that guy is not smiling...

Photoguy2910 wrote:
...and it looks like most of you had fun (there are a couple that need to learn how to smile in a picture :wink: ).

I think it's safe to say everyone had a great time! Perhaps a very fashion conscious person realized just before the camera clicked, "Oh Crap! This is the exact same out fit I wore at a match last year! Busted!" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:35 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Great photos, thanks for taking the time to shoot them as well as post them!!

I'll give my opinion about the hunter division because I had a chance to shoot with Mark who did quite well.

Yes, the rifle he was using is a very accurate rifle, even though it is not super powerful, but that day was the very first day he was using it!

We talked throughout the day, and I learned that he has quite a bit of past experience hunting, which is an obvious help when it comes to shooting sports in general.

But the most important factor (in my opinion) with his success, was his ability to accurately determine the range of the target.

I am horrible at range finding. period. That match was the first time I tried to determine what range I was about to shoot at before I looked through my scope, and I was way off most of the time. Sometimes by more than 10 yards!

Remember, as a general rule (depending on how powerful you rifle is of course) at 50 yards, for every extra 1 yard you pellet travels, it drops .25". So if you guess 50 yards and the target is really at 55, the pellet will strike 1.25" lower and you will most likely miss the kill zone.

The same goes for the very close ranges -the amount of rise is much less then .25" per yard, but you're often only shooting at a .375" kill zone

So if you can't accurately range find 'by eye' you could have the most expensive/accurate FT rig of them all, and you could shoot it very, very accurately and still the pellet will still be missing the kill zone.

I firmly believe the most important thing about the sport of Field Target shooting is to be able to find the range of the target you're about to shoot at. Only then can you have a chance to knock it over.

I think that the Hunter division is a great division, but I also think it presents challenges that are unique to it. It is really an equalizer of equipment, as you must rely on your skill to shoot straight without aids such as a harness, and know how far the target is without a range finder. It is not an 'easier' division in my opinion. Without my fancy equipment and my 'bench rest of a harness', my scores would be much, much lower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:43 am 

pirellip, thanks for our insight on the importance of range finding. It is going to help me to find the right direction in my target practice.

I haven't really got to "know" my rifle yet (top on my list of tips for good shooting) but I hope to put a couple thousand rounds through it in the next month. With your insight on range finding I won't be wasting lead. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:02 am 

Well said pirellip, I like all the variables that FT has to offer. I was there as a spectator(with no rifle-ouch!) and was impressed with every rifle and setup, from QB,s to Steyr,s I like them all. I have been shooting powderburners for 20yrs and I am a regular at our club, and I have never seen so many good shooters in one place as I had seen there. Knowing the extreme trajectories that pellets have and the effect wind on has on them, I was impressed to see everyone knocking or even just hitting the target. You guy,s have definetly convinced me to come out on the next one and have some fun! Currently all my rifles are 22cal., but I am motivated into buying another rifle and I am thinking about a Discovery in 177 and maybe a scope. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 am 

mac100 wrote:
I am thinking about a Discovery in 177 and maybe a scope. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)
The Discovery combined with a Leapers 8-32x56 scope might be the best "bang-for-the-buck" set-up for somebody starting HFT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:11 am 

Forget the discovery, get yourself a nice Remington 22-250 and do some real "HFT" , from like 300 yards instead of 50 haha

All joking aside, that discovery actually caught my eye, if it turns out to be a nice shooting rifle maybe I'll pick one up, i've been thinking about trying a PCP in the future anyways.. I wouldn't mind shooting FT once in awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:33 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

mac100 wrote:
Well said pirellip, I like all the variables that FT has to offer. I was there as a spectator(with no rifle-ouch!) and was impressed with every rifle and setup, from QB,s to Steyr,s I like them all. I have been shooting powderburners for 20yrs and I am a regular at our club, and I have never seen so many good shooters in one place as I had seen there. Knowing the extreme trajectories that pellets have and the effect wind on has on them, I was impressed to see everyone knocking or even just hitting the target. You guy,s have definetly convinced me to come out on the next one and have some fun! Currently all my rifles are 22cal., but I am motivated into buying another rifle and I am thinking about a Discovery in 177 and maybe a scope. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

For sure Mac100, next time bring a rifle along and join in on the fun.... Nice meeting you there....

Here are some more pics ....
A couple of the pics are of the lanes... 3 targets per lane, you might have to follow the strings to spot your targets...LOL
More pics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:06 am 

Pumpmaster wrote:
mac100 wrote:
I am thinking about a Discovery in 177 and maybe a scope. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)
The Discovery combined with a Leapers 8-32x56 scope might be the best "bang-for-the-buck" set-up for somebody starting HFT.

I agree Pumpmaster.

The lower priced best choice option would likely be the QB.

Good to see you on Saturday Pumpmaster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:11 am 

mac100 wrote:

MAC100: We would love to see you at the next match. Thanks for coming out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:13 am 

Parker101:

Super pictures of the lanes. Usually we have a hard time bring out as much detail of the target setup as you did. Good job.

Thanks again for coming out, and hope to see you again soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:23 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
mac100 wrote:

That sounds good to me, any idea what rings would be best. I just ordered the discovery today from SSS in .177 , but no scope yet or rings. Got to pay for this first :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:28 pm 

CJN wrote:
mac100 wrote:

MAC100: We would love to see you at the next match. Thanks for coming out!

I will be there, especially since I have to travel the least distance there. Is there an award for that :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:42 pm 

If you can wait until the next match on the 14th, it will allow some of us to have a look at the rifle and it may be easier to figure out what rings will work the best on that receiver. I don't think that there is one of us that has seen the rifle in the club, yet, so it will be learning experience for us. Most likely a reasonable set of rings, like those from Centre Point and one of those scopes on top, will make a good combination. Take care.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:31 pm 

Keyrigger wrote:
If you can wait until the next match on the 14th, it will allow some of us to have a look at the rifle and it may be easier to figure out what rings will work the best on that receiver. I don't think that there is one of us that has seen the rifle in the club, yet, so it will be learning experience for us. Most likely a reasonable set of rings, like those from Centre Point and one of those scopes on top, will make a good combination. Take care.

Thanks Keyrigger, I will have it there in stock form and probably shooting with the iron sights, should still be fun though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:04 pm 

mac100 wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:
mac100 wrote:

That sounds good to me, any idea what rings would be best. I just ordered the discovery today from SSS in .177 , but no scope yet or rings. Got to pay for this first :!:

Way to go on the Discovery order!!

Thats two FT shooters who have Discovery' on the way. Likely they will be a Hunter Division favorite in time.

Super news.

If you are to buy the Leapers 8-32x56, I would also buy Leapers Accushot rings, 30mm, 2 piece, HIGH. I'm almost sure you will need high mounts for that low receiver. More people than not have had good luck with them.

If you don't go with the Leapers scope, and are fine with a front adjustable objective, I would look for a Bushnell Legend 5-15 or a used Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-30x44. Both great scopes what will hold up well even on spring guns. If you want any high dollar scope recommendations (500 plus), let me know.