Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:25 am 

I understand that you need to pick the most accurate pellet for your rifle by testing a bunch to see what groups the best.
Let's assume you find 2 or 3 that your rifle likes, so you start testing with a chrony by shooting 10 shot strings.
What attributes/measurements would cause you to choose 1 pellet over another?
ex:lowest standard deviation, highest average velocity etc, etc.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:42 am 
Admin-2-IC

I usually would pick the one with the most consistent velocity and
the tightest grouping at the certain range.
... lol ... perhaps that sounds too obivious ... lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:59 am 

Tom, it's very simple like Dan said.. You pick the one that groups the best, all out velocity doesn't matter, for shooting targets you want accuracy.. Always go for groupings..
As long as you're getting a tight group, velocity is really not important.. Your QB is obviously shooting in the high 700 range in .177 with the mods so you'll have enough pellet speed with almost any .177 that you'd be using..

I notice these days things tend to get WAY out of hand, way over analyzed when there's no need..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:24 pm 

I always test for pellet accuracy at longer distances (50 yards if possible). That's where you can really see the differences with inherent accuracy. Once I've found what my rifle likes best, I may chrony it out of curiosity or to trouble shoot if group sizes start to let go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:46 pm 

I tested a couple of pellets recently to see which was the most consistant as far as velocity...I took the Crosman .177 10.5 and the JSB 10.2 using my HW100T...the deviation with the Crosman's was 5.79 with the average of 3 strings of 10...the JSB's came out the winner at 2.87 deviation...These pellets were weighed and sorted prior to the testing...so the way I see it, the better of the two would perform at the longer distances...Myself, I am not that terrific a marksman to actually see the difference at 50 yd, although I did end up shooting better groups with the JSB's...Now I just stay with the JSB's based on the results of my testing..So for whatever that is worth for you, there it is...

Dadwilson

"WE Fight For The Right"

http://www.nethomebiz4u.com

AA EV-2 MKI
HW100T .177
AA S400 ERB SL .177
Rapid MFR .20
AF Condor .25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:37 pm 

there's some posts missing... a couple of mine and snipers are gone.. what's up with that ? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:48 pm 

I did a bunch of testing with JSB Exact 4.53s and found my groups at 25 yards were tighter than my groups with the JSB Exact Heavys in 4.52 that I shot my last match with.
However, at 55 yards the lighter pellets were getting blown all over the place.
Standard deviation and muzzle energy are both better with the heavier pellet as well.
Because of this, I am unsure which pellet would suit my needs best...
Anybody know if they make the JSB Exact Heavy in 4.53???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:21 pm 

On a perfectly calm day, I found that jsb 4.53 outperformed baracuda's, CP lights and JSB heavies. wind drift has to be compensated for in any case, but in both my main FT guns, the Logun and the TX200, the JSB 4.53's were the clear winners.

I later ran them over the chrony so that I could create proper data with chairgun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:41 pm 
Admin-2-IC

I would think it's also good to find pellets with the most flat trajectory,
perhaps won't be easy but would make it easier to find the hold over.
Perhaps can be achieved by increasing the muzzle velocity.
I just hope they still have 4.53 in the coming production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:10 pm 

If you want to use the chrony for a place to start then look at the standard deviation...the smaller the number the better..although that will not tell which is the right pellet..If you have it narrow down to 2 or 3 pellets then it is test test...shoot 5 shot groups...say with one type of pellet at perhaps 10 bulls...do the same with the next pellet and so on...You will see a pattern develop that will steer you to the right pellet..It isn't easy...I have a HW100T and I have been comparing 2 pellets for probably 2000 shots or more and I cannot convince myself which is the better of the two..maybe they are both as good...I just keep checking the 2 of them out...

Dadwilson

"WE Fight For The Right"

http://www.nethomebiz4u.com

AA EV-2 MKI
HW100T .177
AA S400 ERB SL .177
Rapid MFR .20
AF Condor .25