Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:00 pm 

The discussions from the threads below about match rules and class variations like all standing matches, low powered match, Red Rider match, pistol match etc. may leave the impression that anything goes and nothing is officially organized in Canadian Field Target.

I think it’s important to remember that all of these suggestions are for fun matches. RVD has been kind enough to offer his place to shoot fun matches, but what RVD is offering is not actual Field Target matches, rather they are fun matches. That is why the rules seem so open and flexible.

Field Target was founded in England in 1980. You can read more about that at: http://www.airguns.net/ft_overview.php

Since that time 22 countries representing thousands of shooters have officially joined the World Field Target Federation. Canada is one of those countries. Each country has one Field Target Federation, and CAFTA (Canadian Field Target Association) is it for Canada.

CAFTA is lead by six governors. There are only two official clubs in the country now (Port Colborne/Elmira).

Like the other countries in the Federation, CAFTA has a Constitution and Bylaws that govern this organization. Some of the highlights of the constitution are:
- A member shall consist of a club with at least two members, which applies for membership and is accepted by the Board of Governors.
- Member clubs must attend or host one field target match per year following the CAFTA rules and guidelines to remain in good standing.
- To insure that participants may compete in regional and national completions in a manner that is fair to all, a set of rules and guidelines will be established by CAFTA.
- To provide these rules and guidelines to affiliated clubs in the interest of creating a common standard among all members.
- One can read the entire Constitution at: http://www.airgunforum.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19083

As mentioned above, rules and guidelines exist to create a common standard among all members. Every county that is part of the World Field Target Federation has it own rules. Many of the countries have followed the leadership of this sports mother country, England, and write their rules very closely to the rules of the British Field Target Association (http://www.bfta.net/).

Once a year one county in the Federation is selected to hold a World Field Target Championship. These prestigious matches are governed by the World Field Target Federation rules (http://iconic.ie/nifta/index.php?option ... &Itemid=33). Such a set of rules is again necessary for creating a common standard among all shooters. Host country rules may not override or contradict the WFTF Core Rules for this Championship match. Most countries in the Federation are already shooting under a set of rules that are nearly identical to these rules. Such is the case with our Limited Class here in Canada.

As was mentioned above, individuals who are not members of CAFTA, or even CAFTA match directors may offer to host fun shoots, or even fun matches that offer awards although not official CAFTA divisions or classes. For a CAFTA match director these fun matches are the exception, and not the standard. They are rare, and more recreational. Most matches will be set up under the official CAFTA rules, and the shooters come prepared to shoot under the rules of the class or division of his or her choice.

I hope this post will help someone who are not in the "know" understand what Field Target is, and what the CAFTA (Canadian Airgun Field Target Association) does.

Whether you choose to simply shoot for fun, or compete in one of the official CAFTA matches, I'm just happy that we can enjoy and promote a sport/hobby we all love.

Happy shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:24 am 

I don't why but this is feeling like some kind of defense towards the whole rvd sniper ft shoot.. I hope I'm reading into this wrong, I usually don't read into things wrong but it is late and I've had a couple cold ones with the boys tonight..

The whole RVD/SNIPER FT thing came up awhile back, to come up with something different.. It wasn't a shot at you cafta guys.. I'm not in this to compete or make enemies.. If I was, I wouldn't be hosting shoots at my range and even more personal like having them at my house.

How about we all have a fun match but everybody has to use the same rifle.. That would be interesting to see... All offhand, no shooting aids, 3-9power scope MAX, with 5 seconds to make the shot..

Or we can really make it interesting... Set up a target at 50 yards with a 1/2" killzone and everybody gets a turn to shoot at it with a RedRyder.. Each shooter has to keep shooting till he knocks it down and the total number of shots are recorded.. We better get a tractor trailer full of bbs and put aside a week for the match hahaah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:05 am 

hey im in for both but all i really have to compete with is a qb79

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:02 am 

gammawolf wrote:
hey im in for both but all i really have to compete with is a qb79

That is exactly the spirit of airgunning I feel and try to promote.

One activity is not replacing another, it is complimenting it. I know RVD feels this way as well. What could be bad about a bunch of people getting together having a blast with airguns?

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:28 am 

rvd wrote:
I don't why but this is feeling like some kind of defense towards the whole rvd sniper ft shoot..
I don't want to speak for anybody, but I don't think that is the case rvd. My opinion is that certain people have worked really hard to promote FT in Canada, and they simply want to ensure that CAFTA is recognized as a solid organization to the rest of the worlds' clubs. A distinction simply needs to be made between "sanctioned" events and other fun shoots.
When it comes down to it, we all love to shoot, so whether it be FT or a fun match, most of us would love to be involved.
I think doing a QB only match would be a hoot. Practically everybody already owns one (or can get one cheap) and they're accurate enough to make the match very interesting 8)