Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:52 pm 

When I started FT I bought reasonable quality guns, and skimped on the scopes. My scores were quite low and I thought it was about me, or about pellet selection, or perhaps a gun issue...anything but the real culprit, the scope!

At the end of last year I bought a Bushnell elite 4200 8-32 and my scores started to go up.

Of course it took a while to get the scope dope right. I was using an Air Arms TX200. Next I put a Leapers 8-32 on my Logun Solo and suddenly I could shoot it equally as well as my Air Arms.

At the US Nationals in September I had the opportunity to buy a used Bushnell 8-32 from Brad Troyer, I have always been leery of used scopes but Brad seems to be a stand up kind of guy. I put the scope on my HW97k. Lo and behold now it shoots well also!

The point is that a wide range of guns is accurate and capable of doing the job but scope selection on a budget seems to be where the real difficulty lies.

If I was starting over I would be inclined to save some money by buying a used gun and spend what I had to on the real accuracy item...the scope.

I am posting this in the hope that it will help newbies at least start thinking about the whole package and not just what gun to buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:20 pm 

I hear ya!

I got into my AG and was pretty happy, until I realized that I actually couldn't see the target very well, well not in focus. I don't wear glasses and never have, but at 25 yds I couldn't actually make out the rings.
For better or worse I got on ebay and bid on a scope or two , accidentilly won both. and when I mounted them, by gosh now all my shots, {except for fliers} are in the rings at 30yds.

I was all in my eyes son, all in the eyes.
now After properly sighting in the scope and a little practice to use it better, and I now hammer tacks , with my little ole 2289 at 25M. This is fun.

crosman 6" .357 magnum
Beeman 2001 Dart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:00 am 
Admin-2-IC

I notice alot of shooters in an average, not only airgunners, would buy a
scope at the price of 50% of their gun's price.
I guess most of the problem is that we spent so much in to the gun
then we ran out of money ...lol...

4200 8-32 is certainly a nice scope. The 6500 series is beautiful too ....

Canshooter is right, the scope is very important if not the most
important, to be able to see accurately where to shoot is a good thing ...

May be we should buy a good scope first before the gun ......

Excellent suggestion, buy used gun and buy really good scope .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:46 am 

So Dan, how do you feel about the Rex scopes you have ?
I Took my Rex 3X9x40 off my Benji 392 recently (I have not found what pellets it likes yet) and put it on my Winchester 9422 and was getting 1" groups at 50 yards at the BRRC with cheap Federal ammo so Im happy with it.
So one is still better off spending $200 and up to tighten up the gouping?
Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:52 am 
Admin-2-IC

Buggie wrote:
So Dan, how do you feel about the Rex scopes you have ?
I Took my Rex 3X9x40 off my Benji 392 recently (I have not found what pellets it likes yet) and put it on my Winchester 9422 and was getting 1" groups at 50 yards at the BRRC with cheap Federal ammo so Im happy with it.
So one is still better off spending $200 and up to tighten up the gouping?
Just curious.

The Rex 3-9x40 is ok for plinking and general target shooting.
As long as you're happy and that's what it's really count.

Canshooter is talking about scope for FT with airguns.

The spending over 200 or what ever it is , it's for better equipment to
do the job in airgun FT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:02 pm 

Thanks Sniper, I apreicaiate the info.
FT is starting to interest me, Would my HW80 .177 be ok for this sport?
Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:41 pm 

Buggie wrote:
Thanks Sniper, I apreicaiate the info.
FT is starting to interest me, Would my HW80 .177 be ok for this sport?
Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread.

Canadian Field Target is broken up into three Divsions:
- Hunter
- Limited
-Open

Information about these Division can be read at: http://www.caftahome.com/

Pay special attention to the rules section for clarifications on the rules in each Division. It's a lot to digest, so reading it a few times will help in having it sink in.

Your HW80 will work great for FT, especially in the Hunter Division. As he Hunter Division has a maximum scope magnification of 15x and the scope cannot be used as a range finder, the concern about a quality scope is reduced somewhat. That said, you have a heavy recoiling gun, so you will need to make sure you are using a strong set of mounts that will not move as a result of the recoil and use only a scope that will tolerate the recoil of your gun. What to look for in a scope for the Hunter Division is repeatability. You want the scope to say zeroed shot after shot. If the scope internals are moving with recoil your point of impact will also be moving.

If you are interested in coming out to one of our FT matches, you are most welcome. I am on your way to Port Colborne, so if you want to catch a ride with me, feel free to ask.

There are also a number of others on this forum who frequently shoot FT, and they will also be more than happy to help out.