Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:21 pm 

There have been a number of postings in the Yellow saying nothing but praise for this pistol. The 22's are under 500 fps. Any chance of finding one in Canada?

Post subject: Dont do it
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:32 am 

Buy a HW45 instead.
The BSA is overrated for sure. We had many here in England but it was problematic and does not perform aswell as some its opposition.
Reasons.
A common complaint (which also occurred with mine) is that the breach seal is prone to fall out or not seal, and certainly requires regular replacement but without any spares being made now that BSA have dropped it.
Barrel too short. My tests suggested that the barrel was just a little too short to get any great accuracy going and TR.ROBBS own tests also proved similar. BSA would have done much better running the barrel out further into the Plenum chamber because this chamber didnt work that well at killing noise.
Finally, the guide rod which is the cheapest you will ever see, relies on clamping the spring as it relaxes to its fullest extent.
It seemed like agood idea, in that it would kill all vibration but it starts to get damaged on its leading edges as the spring bites down.
I found a nice slide fitting guide worked best but had to machine my own up, i also noticed a slight increase in velocity.
The HW45 is much better on power and the HW40 or Gamo Compact much more accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:47 am 

i owned a 240 in 22 cal...as said above it was not very accurate and is hard
to shoot ,it vibrates a ton even tuned...it is a pure collectors gun not a shooter.
if you want a gun that has power and shoots well get the hw-45 ,also as said
already in 22 mine shoots the rws super h-points as well as some rifles at 20 yard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:14 am 

I would buy the the bsa only for collecting as far as shooting there both tanks but thats just my opinion.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:49 am 

lauchlin wrote:
I would buy the the bsa only for collecting as far as shooting there both tanks but thats just my opinion.....

well the hw-45 is large but so am i-lol
i love shooting 1911 guns so it is my favorite pistol to shoot.
and the fact that it shoots well is a bonus!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:28 pm 

The BSA 240 is a most interesting collectible, but, I share the same opinion as already expressed by the other gents that responded.

From my perspective, the grip was large, and not particularly user friendly, at least to my hand - it felt very awkward. The second thing that I didn't care for was the height of the sight line above the grip - seemed to me that it was higher than any other air pistol I had shot. This no doubt contributed to some degree to the inaccuracy problems that have been alluded to. There were a few other design features of the BSA 240 that I didn't particularly like, for instance, the formed wire cocking link, but given the absence of any reports of these failing (TMK), it seems that this feature was never a concern.

IMO, for an everyday shooter, a Webley Hurricane/Tempest, or an HW45 are your best options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:01 pm 

Thanks guys. i kind of get the feeling about the comments. My interest in the BSA 240 had died sometime ago until it was stirred up in the Yellow last week where everybody said it is a darn good gun and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Post subject: Good Guns
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:06 pm 

I kind of get the impression that many of the dudes on the Yellow forum are quite inexperienced (i just looked in)
Maybe they havent compared the BSA against other models.
Supr makes a good point about the cocking link.
It looks like a piece of bent wire which i also fully expected to break but it lasted while i had it.
TR ROBBS findings were that the tiny short barrel would cost some accuracy and his own experiments favour guns with atleast 7.5 inches of barrel.
I re-worked my grip to get around some of the issues also mentioned by Supr but altogether it was something of a disappointment to me.
HW40s and stuff trounce it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:52 pm 

Bit of an old thread but I'm wondering if there's somewhere these can be found in Canada?