Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:05 pm 

On the CAFTA schedule page, its indicated that there may be a special 'spring' match - when will it be announced whether or not this is happening?

Thanks

QB-78
Remington Airmaster 77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:46 pm 

If we do end up having a spring match, it will probably be announced during the week just prior to the match. We will be looking for favorable weather conditions, combined with the course not being ankle deep in mud. I will actually be looking for a good Saturday starting as early as the last couple weeks in February. It may be easier to have a match with the ground still frozen and a decent weather day, sunny and up around the freezing point.

The match directors and some of the other CAFTA governors have been working out a format for the match and exploring the possibility of having a hot meal after the shooting is done. We have been thinking of downplaying awards and just have a great shooting/social day. I cannot promise a match, but we are just as anxious to get out there and shoot as anyone.

Thanks for your interest.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:09 am 

In the past, when you've had matches in colder weather, are there any special considerations or concessions for CO2 shooters? What do you recommend for those who are shooting with CO2?

QB-78
Remington Airmaster 77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:07 am 

I have never shot CO2 in a match so my experience is only what I have seen other do. Some use the little hot packs to keep the area where the CO2 is warm. I have been told that bulk CO2 is affected less by the cold. I have seen guys wear the battery powered socks to keep their feet warm, so I suppose the same could be done with the CO2 area on the gun. If it is a tank, such as the 88gr ones or larger, keeping that warmer would be easier than the small 12gr cartridges within the action of the gun.

I always keep my gun in a soft case between turns at shooting, so a combination of keeping it in a case and something to keep the CO2 warm, might be the way to go. The warmer could be in the case which you also keep closed and you just put the gun in there as soon as you finish shooting a lane.

Some others may have first hand experience at this and may chime in.

Tim