Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Rifle opinions.......
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:56 pm 

I have a bone stock Daisy 853C chrono'd at 471 averaged. A leapers MD scope. Is this something that could be considered for FT? Obviously there are much better selections, but just wondering if the power level of the Daisy is adequate. The accuracy (in my opinion) is there. Trigger needs attention also. Have a 6X20 Simmons scope with all the trimmings on my 10/22 bench gun which could be swapped out. Anyway, am I on the right track for a beginner gun, or is the velocity too much of a hinderence?
Thanks for opinions.....

If everthing went smoothly, just think how boring it would be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:59 pm 

snooker wrote:
I have a bone stock Daisy 853C chrono'd at 471 averaged. A leapers MD scope. Is this something that could be considered for FT? Obviously there are much better selections, but just wondering if the power level of the Daisy is adequate. The accuracy (in my opinion) is there. Trigger needs attention also. Have a 6X20 Simmons scope with all the trimmings on my 10/22 bench gun which could be swapped out. Anyway, am I on the right track for a beginner gun, or is the velocity too much of a hinderence?
Thanks for opinions.....

You will be able to shoot in the Hunter Division, but your power will be a hindrance. You may not have enough power to knock down any targets. Some of the close ones MAY fall down if they go over with light pressure, but you will not have any hope of knocking over the long ones likely. We have guaranteed that targets will fall with 5 foot pounds of energy, yet your gun will be well below that. Some of the targets may fall with as little as 2fpe, but they are the exception.

The good news is that in the Hunter Division you get one point for hitting anywhere on the target, and two points for knocking the target over. So you can still collect some points with the gun you have.

Your Daisy will be fine to start with, but will slow you down in finding your potential as a shooter. When buying your next gun, try to buy one that shoots in the 750-900fps range in .177.

I hope to see you out shooting with us in 2009!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:04 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Hey snooker take the rifle and shoot in the Hunter division... You'll still have fun smacking different shaped targets at different distances and sizes ... Hard to not have fun when you have your guns, ammo, a place to shoot outdoors with other folks who enjoy the sport...
Come on out and see for yourself....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:25 pm 

I would highly recommend going and getting your PAL right away (if you don't already have it) so that you can purchase something with more power before spring.
The Benjamin Sheridan Discovery would be a great rifle to consider as it is relatively inexpensive, and has the power and accuracy to get you started in the sport.
Which Leapers scope do you have?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:00 pm 
Supporting Member 2010

Or buy a qb and train with it. And after you get you PAL you can up the power. That way your already familiar with the feel of the gun.

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:27 am 

The QB's are good for hunter class assuming you get a good barrel on it, some of them group well and some don't.. Power wise, yes you can definitely up the power so you're not just knocking the targets down, you're also denting them :lol: