Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Pistol FT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:33 pm 

Any idea when the first Pistol FT match will be held.

Beeman P17 with Tasco red dot

Post subject: Re: Pistol FT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:01 pm 

CAFTA governors and Port match directors will be discussing this on the weekend.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:27 pm 

Thanks. :)

Beeman P17 with Tasco red dot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:22 pm 

Hey MAC,

If the air pistol was legal, a person could try it out at the fun match??? No???

Just to see how things performed before the details get ironed out???

I am still working out my rifle for the hunter class, but I am sure some people would be interested to see how they do with an air pistol.

Daisy Powerline 717 (in bits and pieces LOL)
Daisy Powerline 953
2289G Lightly Modded
AR2078 - HPA with DFG Valve Stem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 pm 

tyerant wrote:
Hey MAC,

If the air pistol was legal, a person could try it out at the fun match??? No???

Just to see how things performed before the details get ironed out???

I am still working out my rifle for the hunter class, but I am sure some people would be interested to see how they do with an air pistol.

Sure, you can try it out. Anyone can bring and use a legal pistol at the fun match this weekend.

Just remember the targets will not be all full size KZ's like it would be in a Pistol "only" FT match, and rifle targets are going to be used at this fun match as most people will likely be using FT rifles. So not all will fall with a sub 5fpe pistol.

See you Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:01 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Is there a way you would like to see those that bring pistols to the fun shoot carry their shooters from lane to lane?.... TIA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:36 am 

Parker_101_ wrote:
Is there a way you would like to see those that bring pistols to the fun shoot carry their shooters from lane to lane?.... TIA

Just like Doc Holiday, lol.

We have not discussed that actually, but likely will at the shooters meeting before the match. The obvious things, muzzle must be pointed away from all human form. Keep it point at he ground when walking if not cased. And if rested (laid) on the ground between lanes, it is a good idea to point them in the down lane direction if possible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

CJN wrote:
Parker_101_ wrote:

Just like Doc Holiday, lol.

We have not discussed that actually, but likely will at the shooters meeting before the match. The obvious things, muzzle must be pointed away from all human form. Keep it point at he ground when walking if not cased. And if rested (laid) on the ground between lanes, it is a good idea to point them in the down lane direction if possible.

All sound advice.... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:16 pm 

I'll just throw this out there - I personally would like to see all pistols in a case or even holstered when traveling between lanes. I feel that this would ensure a level of safety that everyone would appreciate. I've been around far too many shooters who are very safe with a rifle, but tend to let the muzzle of a pistol "wander", especially when walking. JMO.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:00 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
I'll just throw this out there - I personally would like to see all pistols in a case or even holstered when traveling between lanes. I feel that this would ensure a level of safety that everyone would appreciate. I've been around far too many shooters who are very safe with a rifle, but tend to let the muzzle of a pistol "wander", especially when walking. JMO.

This is not official by any means, but this is what I will be pushing for.

The pistol must be carried in a hard case or zippered soft case. It will be taken out of the case once you are on the firing line and muzzle pointed only down range or downward. It would be put back in the case using the same guidelines for the muzzle as soon as you finish taking your last shot. I do not want to see pistols carried around at all. I would be absolutely opposed to any kind of holster. These same rules would apply to the sight in range.

This would avoid any possibility of pistols being pointed at others or in an unsafe direction. This is the way I envision it happening.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:13 pm 

X2 Mac. sounds like pumpmaster hasn't been to many shooting ranges.

No Holsters. I don't want to have to worry about somebody accidently discharging their pistol and the pellet flying by my son when the pistol should have been put down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:20 pm 

:? :? :? I am a bit confused about the holster issue. When I belonged to the Red Deer pistol club (27 years ago) holsters were considered a safe way to carry. After your turn at shooting the gun was holstered (unloaded of course) until your next turn to shoot.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with carrying my pistol in a case through the coarse, I'm just a bit surprised that for some reason holsters are not considered safe on the FT range.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:11 am 

larrys1022 wrote:
X2 Mac. sounds like pumpmaster hasn't been to many shooting ranges.
No Holsters. I don't want to have to worry about somebody accidently discharging their pistol and the pellet flying by my son when the pistol should have been put down.

Sounds like larry hasn't been to many FT courses. There is generally a fair bit of walking to/from/between lanes, and quite often shooters are carrying additional gear. The pistol can't always just be "put down" as at a traditional shooting range.
My initial post was completely in the spirit of safety, and avoiding any possible injuries.
I'm glad to see that there is an agreement on the need for pistols to be put into a case between lanes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:23 am 

Pumpmaster wrote:
I'm glad to see that there is an agreement on the need for pistols to be put into a case between lanes.

There certainly is a need to have pistols encased and more importantly ONLY LOADED when you are standing in the box facing down lane (just like the rifles). I just don't understand how anyone could consider an unloaded gun holstered with the muzzle pointing to the ground unsafe. :? :? :?

I get the feeling that the anti gun crown within the general population is now somehow influencing what goes on at shooting clubs with their propaganda. It makes me wonder what will be next,,, trigger locks between lanes for the rifles???

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:30 am 

DoctorFrankengun wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:

There certainly is a need to have pistols encased and more importantly ONLY LOADED when you are standing in the box facing down lane (just like the rifles). I just don't understand how anyone could consider an unloaded gun holstered with the muzzle pointing to the ground unsafe. :? :? :?

I get the feeling that the anti gun crown within the general population is now somehow influencing what goes on at shooting clubs with their propaganda. It makes me wonder what will be next,,, trigger locks between lanes for the rifles???

At more than a couple venues in the States, even the rifles have to be unloaded and cases between lanes. I always do that with my rifle and this year I am even going to bring my case alongside the lane box to limit the amount of time I carry it. I also like to shade my gun and scope from the sun as it can cause shifts in impact. We have people from about eight years old to over sixty on the course and from my way of thinking, ensuring their safety is paramount. I never really considered anti gun groups etc.

However, now that you mention it, a bunch of people walking around with holstered pistols could very well raise some eyebrows of the general public who have always been welcome to come to the club and see what goes on during a match. To lose the use of our venue just because we want to show the anti folks that we can carry these pistols in holsters, seems ill advised. Just my way of looking at it.

Tim