Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:01 pm 

I did a quick search for FT Shoots in Nova Scotia. Nothing came up. Anyone know of anything past or future re: FT shoots in Canada's Ocean Playground?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

I don't know of any .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:06 pm 

zenarcher wrote:
I did a quick search for FT Shoots in Nova Scotia. Nothing came up. Anyone know of anything past or future re: FT shoots in Canada's Ocean Playground?

Someone has to get it started. Someone set up a date and a place and you may be surprised at who will show up. For the first time, targets can even be paper or better yet spinners, which are quite easy to make.

If Ft could catch on in NS and BC, that would be great. Eventually, I hope every province gets something going.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:36 pm 

Using Archery 3d range would work :) would be a minimum effort to setup

BSA Superstar Magnum 2
umarex 92fs x2, Sig 225, S&W m&p
crosman 1322

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:40 pm 

levi garrett wrote:
Using Archery 3d range would work :) would be a minimum effort to setup

That is exactly what we did in Port Colborne.

We have since made some improvements to the course that are good for the archery guys and the FT guys.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:29 pm 

I'd show up.... 8)

I'd also offer some of my time to getting a club set up.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:45 pm 

I will talk with a local Archery Club and see what issues might be about, I am doing a clinic with some of them this week so I can bring it up then. Mac if you could provide some info re: Do we need to formally register a club and how should we approach liability insurance? It may be wise to connect with an established Gun Club? I can check with the Shooting Federation of Nova Scotia and see if they have anything to offer. Based on my time constraints I am a little leary as to how deep I am prepared to go. Maybe others are more "in the know" and can make this a reality. Regardless I will look into what I have mentioned and report back. Any thoughts would be welcome :)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:50 pm 

The archery range was at a local conservation club that also has skeet and trap shooting.

My buddy and I joined the club and with the membership, we are covered for 2 million liability during our events. Membership in OFAH, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, came with the club membership and a subscription to Ontario Outdoors magazine. It was a real good deal for well under $100 for a family membership.

The club asked the police if it would be OK for airguns to shoot on the property and they gave it the thumbs up. That was it.

We give the club a percentage of the match fees we collect and the rest goes towards expenses like awards, prizes, drinks and food at some matches. We have also spent some money upgrading the course. We pretty well spend what we take in and just maintain a small balance just in case we need to buy something for the club or to buy awards and food before big matches. We have had the same balance at year's end, give or take $20, for the last three years.

The sport seems to be growing thanks to the efforts of many that help out at the matches and by spreading the word. Normally, at least five guys set up lanes, so no one has to set up more than two lanes, six targets. We have a great bunch in this area and it makes for some real fun times and everyone's work load is reduced since so many are willing to help out.

I hope you can find a suitable venue and get something started. It will be well worth it once you get rolling.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:10 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I'd like to try it.. Milford is not to far either