Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:39 pm 

velocity wrote:
Any paper will do as long as it makes full contact with the backing used. There must be no space between the target paper and the backing or the holes will be ragged.

If you shoot half decent, the center of the backer will be destroyed fairly quickly. I don't like to use a huge target holder and keep moving the targets. For 10M accuracy, you should have your target in the same place all the time.

Today, I used a small Gamo cone type target with the Gamo paper targets that come in the box of 100. The targets were dry and gun velocity ranged from mid to high 300s to close to 500fps, depending on the gun I used, and all holes were clean and round with no backer. I even shot a fairly tight five shot group and you could identify each hole or part hole.

You can use any paper, but with the price of these targets, it is not much more than the printer paper and ink from your printer. For 10M shooting, I will use the commercially made targets for ease of use and scoring accuracy.

Good paper and dry is what you need, regardless of velocity.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:12 pm 

Just received a shipment of targets from Jocelyn at Cibles and they are the best I have used. They are 103T Heavy from Germany. Highly recommended. Crisp clean holes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:05 pm 

If you are making up targets on a photocopier, ask your local print shop which kinds of paper or light card stock they find gives the cleanest holes for their spiral bound books. The whole idea with wad cutters is that it is a ten meter hole punch.

Another consideration is that wadcutters are really not the ideal pellet. Lots of "hunter" pellets actually fly better, but they tear a ragged hole.
If you go to the Haendler @ Natterman site you will see a listing of many variants of their match pellets. These are subtle variations of ALL the pellet's variables, and finding your ideal pellet takes some experimenting. Ten meter rifles give virtually flat trajectory for that distance....as you increase the range...stuff happens. If the pellet is not ideal for your gun, it hits sideways and makes a "keyhole".

Most of my practising with my Daisy 853c I use Beeman coated hollow points because they are locally available in my backwater and they fly better than the wadcutters that come in a milk carton. I get my Sunday go to meeting wadcutters either from D&L or Eric....but lead tends to be a pricey thing to ship.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:03 pm 

Maybe the crown of the barrel is not true causing the pellet to wobble or tummble in flight, and the pellet is hitting the paper sidewats abit.

Diana 350 Magnum 22 cal
EunJin Sumatra 22 cal 500cc
AirArms 410 22 cal
Telly .177
BSA Mercury 177 cal
Salavia 618
Shinsung 201 9mm
AirArms Tx200 .22 cal
Diana 54 Airking .22 cal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:12 pm 

backyard blaster wrote:
Does anyone know which of those variables could be causing it to just tear? Maybe a change in paper or backing it has could help? I have yet to try card-type paper but if you guys think it would help then I will try it...

Thanks!

-Nick

http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17304 post number 4

Selfmade targets rules

Baikal 38 (for my kids)
Baikal 46M

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:37 pm 

When printing targets from computer (those I've found online) I've used 20, 24, 32 and 110 lb paper. Right now, I'm using the 32lb variety, purchased from Staples. With a good cardboard backer (I cut up cereal boxes and use the larger flats as backers) you can get better results.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:52 pm 

duct or masking tape on the back. 2 inch wide be hind the bull should be enough.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:34 pm 

Reviving an old thread but still applies. Heavy gauge paper, photocopy your targets on them and then spray them with laundry starch let dry, works great

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:49 pm 

Best thing to do is to invest few bucks into proper targets.
Even then You are never 100% guaranteed to have a nice clean penetration.
I used to double up with used target behind new one every time even with quality targets and using FWB 601 for RT training.
In general
thicker the paper , nicer hole
so back whatever you use with thicker paper and try to keep them tight together.
Gamo targets mentioned above do fair job, but they are glossy and have 10 and 9 rings in white. marker can fix 10/9, but glossy is not my preference due to my old, used up eyes.
Just dont put the light source too close and they are ok.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:09 am 

light sprat with contact cement on backer- just saying- if you have it around.

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 am 

try using 110 lb paper (card stock ) I have no problem with tear outs since I started using the heaver paper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:36 pm 

Nikkonos sells the heavy Kruger 10m pistol targets on ebay canada @$16.25/250 plus shipping $10.25.
or buy from Cibles at the 2012 Canadian Airgun Grand Prix. These are excellent and no more fussing with do-it-yourself target preparations.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:45 pm 

Competition grade targets are made of a thick put easily "punchable" paper. They are expensive, but they work really well. They are usually serially numbered and they have the ISSF logo on them. Higher velocity also works, but with the actual competition grade targets you won't have that problem. If you contact the Shooying Federation of Canada they can tell you where they get them. They (the targets) are used at the National Matches every year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 am 

Try rotating the targets and shooting again. If the tear is in the same position on the clock on rotated targets then it is not the target, it is the pellet as previously stated. Try a different pellet brand or weight. Try turning the gun upside down too to check if it is the barrel crown causing the wobble/tumble.

Air Pistol
Air Rifle
Powder burner
Hunter, Compound bow, Crossbow
Ah heck I shoot 'em all!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:36 pm 

There was a magical figure tested by Feinwerkbau when they set the velocity for the 65 pistol.
Seem to remember it was 460fps at the muzzle when shooting at 10mtr standard cards. Any greater merely meant it made no difference, any lower and the card gets effected according to how much lower.
Its interesting that the regular 65 ran around 460fps to 480fps with most pellet types. When asked the velocity for the 65, they described it as adequate!

It formed the basis for me experimenting with my FAS and HW75 to home in on this ideal figure.