Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Mac wrote:
A couple of Pics

To look at many more pics go to the following link.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/m ... s+Pictures

Tim
Congrats fellows!... 8)

Nice uniforms...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:39 am 
Admin-2-IC

Nice ... Congratulation to everybody there .... especially for the two from Canada.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:59 pm 

Thanks for the good wishes guys. And thanks to Tim for starting this thread and updating it.

George and I are back safely.

Here is my report on the 2010 US Field Target Nationals.

The trip went well. It is started at 3:15am Friday. Flew into Houston and arrived just before noon Texas time. We drove north-west to Somerville Texas, checked into the Inn where we were to stay, then drove off to the Yegua range. The club is situated on 40 acres of land. Simple open structures for cover, and a few portable toilets were on the premises. The organizers were busy preparing for the competition and lots of shooters were on the practice range.

Shortly after arriving at the club I checked my zero on the range. The scope was 20 clicks high and the gun was shooting 20-25 fps fast. Who knows why. I had to take the gun apart and adjust the velocity down, and after I did I was still 15 clicks high at my zero. I reset my zero and all the clicks seemed to match up again. There was a fair bit of wind so I was not 100 percent sure I had my windage set right.

The courses were really nice. The Aggie course had more extreme angle shots but slightly larger KZ's on average. Some of he angles were quite extreme. There were large washout areas in the bush which made for interesting angles. We even shot over a pond at ducks that were placed among duck decoys. At one stage in the competition a decoy got stuck in front of the actual target and Scott York, the match director, dove into the pond and swam out to correct the problem! What a guy. The Longhorn course was more like our Port and Waterloo course layout. There were at least a half dozen 45-55 yard targets, but many more 10-30 yard targets with small KZ's. The Longhorn course definitely had more pucker factor as the KZ's were smaller than the Aggie on average, but less angled shots, so the difficulty rating will likely be similar. Each course only had one forced positional lane. Standing on the Aggie and kneeling on the Longhorn. The KZ's were very fair on the four positional targets. Quite manageable, although I only averaged 50% on them!

I shot the Aggie course on Saturday. This was a really neat course to shoot. All started normal but after about four good lanes I started to experience misses on targets I would never usually miss. I had a few issues with the equipment, so my score was much lower than expected. The Aggie course was quite interesting. I think I would have scored in the mid 50's if all was normal, but I ended up with a 44. That took away my chances for the top position as the top three shooters scored 54, 51, and 48. It was too much distance to make up over two courses.

The second day I shot the Longhorn course. I really liked it too. Reminded me of home. Unfortunately I started on the kneeling lane and was not mentally focused, treating the kneeling shots like a fun match at home. I missed two on that lane and should of made all as they were quite easy. After that I buckled down and went to work. The wind was up, but I was able to compensate on the long ones by reading misses on the face of the targets. I believe one of my other three misses was due to heavy set Otten target. The paddle went half back and just stayed there. That is really rare for a Otten target. I also missed a .50 at near 30 yards. The wind was blowing pellets left, clearly seen by the misses on the face, but I still thought I would not have much drift at 30 yards, so did not compensate by aiming on the right of the KZ. I split it on the left and it did not fall. The other miss was a 3/8 that was out there as well. Likely 20 yards or more. Not sure where I split that one, but it did not go over. I could have ended up with a 58 on that course I think, but my final score was 55. Good enough to tie for the high score that day in the WFTF Division.

I did nearly as well as I could to make up for a bad first day, but that brought me up to fourth position overall. I was happy with my second day, so it ended well.

The courses will likely average in the high 30's. That number is somewhat misleading as there were a number of gimmes in the mix, that had very large KZ's, and they will drop the averages considerably. I only heard positive remarks about the courses. Not too hard, not too easy. Not too many forced positional targets. The organizers did a great job. The environment was very positive. The food was great. We had smoked chicken and beef, and lots of great Texan side dishes. Scott York and his team of helpers did a GREAT job setting up the match and treating us like we were at home.

George had good first day and slightly below average second day. No real reason as of yet for his lower score on the second day, but he thinks he was just not as focused and serious as he needed to be. His gun seemed to behave well.

I had many good conversations and strengthened a number of friendships. All went very smooth. A good number of shooters said they were going to try to make our 2010 Nationals here in Canada. I hope they do.

Since returning I checked my guns velocity and zero. Velocity is right, but the zero is 31 clicks off to the left and 3 clicks high!! I'm not exactly sure why this happened again. Either the case was thrown around big time and it shifted my components, or the scope is reacting to the altitude and pressure change at 36 thousand feet.

Hope all is well with you guys.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Talk to you soon.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:27 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Thanks for the great report CJN, glad to hear you both enjoyed the experience and congrats on a very respectful finish.... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:41 pm 
Admin-2-IC

Interesting report ..... Thx.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:44 pm 

Great report CJN and thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:19 pm 

Great pics, nice & sharp. Congrats to both guys on your scores, -& thanks for sharing, it was all interesting. 8)