Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:19 am 

A buddy of mine and I have been having friendly 10M shootouts for about a year now.Recently he became the proud owner of a Tau 7.Simply put,an outstanding pistol.The problem is I continue to outshoot him with my IZH-46M and for some reason he thinks this just should not be.At first he was a good sport about it but now it`s starting to bug him to the point where he is hesitant to want to shoot with me.I did suggest that he probably just needs to get used to the Tau but he did`nt buy that.Any suggestions on how to handle this without hitting some raw nerves?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:25 am 

Maybe tell him to try something, that doesn't insult his shooting skills. What I mean is maybe the gun wold be more accurate with different pellets, maybe not, but suggest it. Suggest different shooting styles, and different types of targets................

If all fails just tell him its not your fault your a better shot with a cheaper gun :lol: j/k

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:29 am 

i would say just throw a match, ,so he out-shoots you, but make it look like your trying. hopefully that works.
if it comes to it, and you have to say something, just be honestly-blunt, and tell your friend he needs to practise with his knew gun if he expects to outshoot you.
(although, it kinda makes sense--its not the gun that defines your shooting ability, its your ability)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:35 am 

Switch gun next time you shoot if he still shotting bad then your just a better shot than him

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:23 pm 

There's nothing you can or should do...the problem is entirely his. He just needs to grow up!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:37 pm 

A better(more expensive) paintbrush does NOT create a Masterpiece, A better(more expensive) Camera can only capture what the photographer SEES, remind your friend of these fundamental facts & one other one. - It's a NEW gun, - SO You GOTTA "Break-Er-In" Too.
Pass a thousand pellets through it & see how it behaves.
By the way, was the competition usually close before ? What was he Using ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:42 pm 

Thank you for all the words of wisdom.I actually considered throwing a shoot and if I was dealing with a child I would not hesitate but damn it, this is an adult.We did exchange pistols for a round as he is used to shooting my IZH-46M but his scores were about the same.So I agree that It`ts not the pistol and if he thought the Tau would give him an advantage,well he`s just going to have to get over it and start some serious practice sessions,or go back to shooting his Avanti 747 Triumph Match and make me a deal on the Tau that I could not refuse.Sure could get used to that pistol in a hurry!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:47 pm 

Rolf wrote:
...go back to shooting his Avanti 747 Triumph Match

Tell him to try H&N High Speed Finale Match in 4.51mm from Cibles in that gun. It shoots those like a laser!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:49 pm 

Both of my TAUs like the ammo for rifles, around 8gr. So if he is shooting light ammo in the TAU, you may want to suggest he switch to the heavier stuff. I am using the H&N match-Kugeln for rifle.

I'm pretty sure Windbag was talking about the 747 when he suggested the High Speed FM ammo. Is that correct Windbag?

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:45 pm 

Let him get thoroughly disappointed in the TAU and then as you indicated he will sell to for a song :)

I love my TAU and if I do my job it is amazing. in .22 it will digest near anything I feed it. Are the .177s different?

Walter...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:35 pm 

Mac wrote:
I'm pretty sure Windbag was talking about the 747 when he suggested the High Speed FM ammo. Is that correct Windbag?

In my best Ed McMahon voice, "You are correct Sir!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:41 pm 

windbag wrote:
There's nothing you can or should do...the problem is entirely his. He just needs to grow up!

x2 It's nice that you're so concerned about your buddy's feelings, but it sounds like you're either a better shooter, or he isn't able to (yet?) get the most of of that slick pistol. I do recognize that it can kind of suck to be out-performing your friend (the type/grade/price of the guns should be left out of it) on a constant basis...but only because he is being a suck about it dude. To be totally blunt. As I see it, you have 3 options..in the order I'd choose;

1.Encourage your buddy, and ask if he would be offended if you offered him some pointers. (only if you think this would help)
2.Tell him that, like him, you're simply trying to be the best YOU can be. You're not scoring better to piss him off, suggest he lighten-up.
3.If 1&2 don't work, your friend is a little b**ch. :shock: You might be better off, if you want to save the friendship, to NOT shoot together. Make up some BS
about scheduling if you want to protect his feelings, but don't shoot with the guy.

BTW~I have the same problem with fishing most of the time. I usually out-fish the guys I'm with, and one of them gets more frustrated with every hook-up. I'll often "take a water break" and watch what he is doing, check his presentation etc. etc. Most times, he is receptive to advice and ends up catching more fish as a result. The other guys have better senses of humor, and we rub it in when one does better than the other. (sometimes..the tide changes direction, LoL)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:36 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Let him get thoroughly disappointed in the TAU and then as you indicated he will sell to for a song :)

I love my TAU and if I do my job it is amazing. in .22 it will digest near anything I feed it. Are the .177s different?

Walter...

George Padgington, a former dealer from Hamburg, NY did quite a bit of testing for the .177 TAU7 and found they had the best accuracy with the rifle ammo. I use to use the R10 for rifle in mine, but they have changed the weights and the price is ridiculous, so I switched and found the H&N pellets to up to the task. If I do my part, as you said, it will shoot 10s all day.

I also use one of them for Pistol FT and shoot JSB light pellets at 8.4 gr and they shoot real well too. So as you say, probably most decent pellets would hit the 10 ring if the shooter does their part.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:35 pm 

Well that's disappointing if he is genuinely getting upset at you beating him. I wonder if his tattered ego could handle the knowledge that there are some people in the world that can beat even you? (I assume)

I say outshoot him every opportunity you get but don't act like it's a big deal. The sooner he's made to deal with the fact that he can be beaten the better. :mrgreen:

It's a big world, there is always someone better, faster, stronger, smarter, etc, etc, etc,

Blow ye winds like the trumpets blow. But without that sound!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:29 am 

And I thought that the topic was about your friend getting hit in the nose by a pellet.

I'm no competitive shooter, heck ya'll are talking about air pistols far more "sophiscated" than I got (Beeman P3, Crosman 1377, 1008, 357, Daisy XT15). I grew up more interested in handguns than long guns. I'm not that great a shot. The last two months, I participated in the Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum Monthly Competition. I finished *Dead Last* but it wasn't like I was disappointed. Heck, if you saw how much I shake and tremble when I shoot, you'd be like the young lady who watched me shoot my 9mm one night. "How'd you hit the target shaking like that?" My response. . . "Luck". I've been studying how I shoot my Target Pistol, currently a Crosman 1377 (only "mods" being replaced breech screw, replaced trigger spring w/ guide and lighter spring and Mellon pump pin). My shooting technique is more questionable than the accuracy of the 1377 (confirmed by benchresting @ 5M). Never seen a target shoot right where I wanted it to w/o having to change sights right out of the package, so it instantly became "the target gun".

When I used to shoot my other handguns a lot, I went to an indoor range. Fellow that I learned from has two 1911-pattern pistols, set up differently from one another. One had fixed sights and a heavier trigger pull, the other a Bo-Mar rib and lighter pull. If he wasn't shooting well that night, he'd get me to shoot a couple/three rounds, just to make sure the gun was ok. If neither of us could hit where the pistol was aimed, we gave up. Period.

What it boils down to :

Your friend needs to evaluate everything he's been doing. If his scores are not changing, even with a change of pistol, then he's meeting his own abilities as a shooter. Just because you continue to out-shoot him doesn't mean squat as a result. If he wants to "beat" you, then he needs to step up his "game" a bit.