Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:16 pm 

Hey Everyone,

I have been thinking of getting a BB pistol but was wondering what trap is good because of ricochets. I currently only shoot pellets and use a silent pellet trap.

Thanks for the ideas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:21 pm 

I picked up the .22 cal rimfire capable trap from Goble's Firearms a couple of years ago and it works great. I just clamp a piece of 12"X12" cardboard to it, then tape various types of targets to that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:26 pm 

BB's don't ricochet off the trap?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:11 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Do a search for "Duct" Seal. Can be picked up in the electrical department of Home depot. Stick it on the back of your trap or plywood, etc. It Will suck up those BB's. no problem. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:21 pm 

for bb's what i use is my standard wooden backstop but i place about 4-5 bed sheets over top on the outside.and then i got it hollew in the center and the bb's stop int the box/trap and collect em from the bottom afterwords. always works for me no richochets.just make sure you have enough sheets etc. closer you are the more you will need.at 5-10 yards i use 4 or 5. its been working great for me and not to mention cheep to make and use.

crosman phantom 500 .22 modded
colt 1911 a1 .177
crosman 150 .22
beeman p17
crosman 38c .22
benji 397 .177
soon benji disco .22
too many powder burners to list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:27 am 

I'm using a wooden box, replaced the cover with a piece of cardstock that slides in, on which I can tape A4 size paper targets. The inside is stuffed with layers of cloth.

The wine that came with the box was great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:57 am 

Phonebook.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:27 pm 

Thanks for the great ideas. I guess I will try and use my silent trap with duct seal. I just picked up the crosman bb trap today at LeBaron. LeBaron is having a no gst or pst until Nov 14th btw but you need to have a membership.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:19 am 

I have a target trap lined with duct seal. And I use a flattened 4 feet by 4 feet cardboard box (used to be the box for the BBQ) behind the trap. In case I miss the trap, the cardboard absorbs the energy from the BB.

Aim Small. Miss Small.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:43 pm 

Good Idea Doc. Thanks for the idea. I have a small basement range I almost get 10yards but will be shooting the BB guns probably at 10-15ft.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:18 pm 

I've found that a strong sheet or fabric or canvas that's loosely hung so it had a "j" cross section will work really well for most non pal airguns, (haven't tested any pal airguns, so no promises there) the idea being that because the fabric can move quite a fair distance, it can absorb the energy of the pellet and then it falls softly with gravity into the trough formed by the cloth. I'm sure this would work for bb's from most guns, provided you set it up right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:18 pm 

backyard blaster
Quote:
I've found that a strong sheet or fabric or canvas that's loosely hung so it had a "j" cross section will work really well for most non pal airguns, (haven't tested any pal airguns, so no promises there) the idea being that because the fabric can move quite a fair distance, it can absorb the energy of the pellet and then it falls softly with gravity into the trough formed by the cloth. I'm sure this would work for bb's from most guns, provided you set it up right.

Can you post a pic of your setup if possible? I keep getting BB's flying back at me so the crosman bb/pellet trap is not doing it's job i guess. ty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:13 pm 

187_cuteness wrote:
backyard blaster
Quote:

Can you post a pic of your setup if possible? I keep getting BB's flying back at me so the crosman bb/pellet trap is not doing it's job i guess. ty

Sorry, no pics, didn't put it up this year, since I was volunteering in Africa all summer and then had school to worry about, almost no time for shooting this fall :( but I've drawn up my setup here, it consists of 2 trees, which I've fastened to little turned "L" shapes of wood to, mine were made out of wood found and processed there, and then rope (blue) was tied across the top, tightly, and then loosely t the end of the L. green is a large piece of fabric, which in my case was just an old pair of sheets we never used, and then I had a large wire frame to hold it the target a few feet infront.

Attachments:
target 1`.JPG
target 1`.JPG [ 29.95 KiB | Viewed 1135 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:10 pm 

Very cool design. I am going to try and set up a similar backstop in my basement. Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:10 am 

don't know if it works for BB's but carpet remnants in a box I made work great. The more the carpet gets hit the better it works. It is easy to retrieve the spent pellets for recycling!!