Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:41 am 

Is the Leapers 8-32x56 Illuminated Rifle Scope a good quality scope? or should I just get one of these Bushnell 4200's? I cant seem to find them anywhere online........

-Joel.G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:49 am 
Supporting Member 2009

jgoodz420 wrote:

Thanks for all that info, Ill try to address as much of it as possible......

Price: I would like to spend $900-$1000 on the gun, and maybe $150-$250 on the scope. I have a Leapers 6-24x50mm that has adjustment on the bell, maybe this would work for FT? I would prefer to spend as little as possible, more emphasis on the gun than scope for right now. I figure I can always get a better scope for less than a new/better gun......

Gun: I personally do not like the looks of the HW100, not that that is the reason to buy a gun. But it is also a little bit more than I want to spend. I am thinking of getting an Air Arms, either the S400 MBR FT or the S410. I would like power adjustability, and the option of having a repeater. Maybe the S410 with MBR stock would be perfect, maybe I can find one used from someone........

I was also wondering; I should get the gun in .177cal right? I'm assuming .22cal would just make it harder when shooting FT??

Another option I was thinking abut was springers, TX200 Mk3 or something like that very high end. Are they worth considering? I know Tom Gaylord and just about everyone speaks extremely highly of the TX200.......

Thanks again.
-Joel.G

Okay, I have a better idea of what you want, I'd recommend a .177 S410 in a MPR stock. This will give you the best adjustability, in both power and ergonomics. You can choose your size, from the classic or the ERB. Personally, I'd go with the classic size, as it's more manoeuvrable. You can choose bolt action or the newer lever action. The only other difference between the action's is their shroud size, with the leaver being a larger diameter. You'll be able find MUCH better deals on the bolt action (both new and used) than the lever action, but there have been a few used lever actions for sale on the US forums for a great price.

You could go with a TX200 or HW97k, I own springers and love them, but they are a beast in themselves. They can be super accurate, but you have to really be patient, and learn how to shoot them well. And some days, no matter what, you'll just not shoot them well. Also, from a power level, once they get above 12ftlbs, they become even more difficult to shoot, so if you want a 20ftlb springer, the Diana 54 in .22 is really you're only option. You can purchase a uses HW97 or TX200 for about $450USD.

Since you live in Windsor, you may also consider calling Jim from Precision Airguns http://www.precisionairgunsandsupplies. ... epage.html as you could drive to his store in MI, he's a GREAT guy btw.

For scopes, I FULLY AGREE with Suprmatic, stick with your 6-24 for now, and when it's time, get a Bushnell 4200. The more you shoot FT, the more you'll realize you need good glass. You *could* get a hunter specific scope that only goes up to 16x, but there's nothing wrong with using a 6-24 or 8-32 set at 16x, and if/when you go to the other class, you'll be ready.

Also, perhaps have a look in the US to see what FT matches are near you, I know you were at the last Port match (and hopefully you can come to the Elmira match Dec 12th, it's closer to you) but perhaps there's some US matches that you can go to as well. Ask Jim at Precision, he'll know.

take care

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:01 am 
Supporting Member 2009

jgoodz420 wrote:
Well I would probably like to shoot -12ft/lb, I cant remember all the class designations though :oops: But I think power adjustment may give me options to go into different classes? I just don't want to get destroyed all the time by people who have shot longer than Ive been alive :lol: But whatever, that is not my main concern, harder competition will just raise my skill, hopefully :lol:
-Joel.G

Don't worry about getting destroyed by others, it's not really that kinda sport. It's more of an individual sport in that you are the only person who affects your outcome, no one else can. I always try to top my personal best, and while on the course, the other shooters are very supportive, not competitive at all. Some times people have good days, and do well, sometimes they don't. Everyone seems to have a great time though.

jgoodz420 wrote:
Is the Leapers 8-32x56 Illuminated Rifle Scope a good quality scope? or should I just get one of these Bushnell 4200's? I cant seem to find them anywhere online........
-Joel.G

Since you already have a Leapers 6-24, I don't suggest getting this scope, it's enough of an upgrade to warrant the cost. A brand new 8-32 sells on eBay for $449USD with free US shipping. There's a used 6-24 at $210 right now too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:24 am 

pirellip wrote:
jgoodz420 wrote:
Well I would probably like to shoot -12ft/lb, I cant remember all the class designations though :oops: But I think power adjustment may give me options to go into different classes? I just don't want to get destroyed all the time by people who have shot longer than Ive been alive :lol: But whatever, that is not my main concern, harder competition will just raise my skill, hopefully :lol:
-Joel.G

Don't worry about getting destroyed by others, it's not really that kinda sport. It's more of an individual sport in that you are the only person who affects your outcome, no one else can. I always try to top my personal best, and while on the course, the other shooters are very supportive, not competitive at all. Some times people have good days, and do well, sometimes they don't. Everyone seems to have a great time though.

jgoodz420 wrote:
-Joel.G

Since you already have a Leapers 6-24, I don't suggest getting this scope, it's enough of an upgrade to warrant the cost. A brand new 8-32 sells on eBay for $449USD with free US shipping. There's a used 6-24 at $210 right now too.

yeah im not really focusing on getting "destroyed" just a thought consideration for which class I shoot

I believe airgun source has the 8-32x56 for 279 or are you saying that score is not much of an upgrade from my 6-24x50?

-Joel.G.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:36 am 

jgoodz420 wrote:
pirellip wrote:
jgoodz420 wrote:
-Joel.G

jgoodz420 wrote:
-Joel.G

yeah im not really focusing on getting "destroyed" just a thought consideration for which class I shoot

I believe airgun source has the 8-32x56 for 279 or are you saying that score is not much of an upgrade from my 6-24x50?

-Joel.G.

Haven't read all the posts but not much of an upgrade. I looked through both before I bought and went with the 8-32 becasue I didn't have neither at the time.

If FT is all you're going to use it for then go .177 but if you plan to hunt with it as well I'd say go .22cal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:37 am 

Forgot to mention that if you're in Hunter Div. 16x is all you are allowed so 32x is a waste.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:45 am 

Quote:

I found that confusing too, but I think he meant the Leapers 8-32 was not enough of an upgrade.... I think the prices he gave were for the two Bushnells he recommended earlier (8-32 and 6-24).... Just my interpretation.... :wink:

I agree with most that if you already have a Leapers 6-24 you stay with that whatever rifle you get for the first year or so.... After you have a chance to look over other equipment you'll be able to make a much better decision.... If it's like most sports, it will take you at least a year to understand what's important and what isn't.... :mrgreen:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:03 pm 

RC wrote:
Forgot to mention that if you're in Hunter Div. 16x is all you are allowed so 32x is a waste.

Yeah I was thinking about that too.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:09 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Quote:

I found that confusing too, but I think he meant the Leapers 8-32 was not enough of an upgrade.... I think the prices he gave were for the two Bushnells he recommended earlier (8-32 and 6-24).... Just my interpretation.... :wink:

I agree with most that if you already have a Leapers 6-24 you stay with that whatever rifle you get for the first year or so.... After you have a chance to look over other equipment you'll be able to make a much better decision.... If it's like most sports, it will take you at least a year to understand what's important and what isn't.... :mrgreen:

Bob

Good points rsterne, thank you.........

I think your explanation of what was said is accurate, it was just slightly confusing to me, but what you said makes sense........

I think I will just work with my 6-24x50mm for now, it is a good scope and as you said after a while I will have a better idea of what I actually want in terms of a scope...........

-Joel.G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:42 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I meant to say it's NOT worth the upgrade, I missed the 'not' and those prices are for Bushnell's.

using a 32x in hunter isn't a waste, as you just turn it down to 16x.

As others have said, if you buy a Bushnell, you can sell it without taking much of a hit. I found a GREAT deal on mine in the US, and ended up selling it for EXACTLY what I paid for it. The buyer was happy too, as he received a great deal also. When I sold my Leapers 8-32, I lost 50% of my purchase price..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:31 pm 

pirellip wrote:
I meant to say it's NOT worth the upgrade, I missed the 'not' and those prices are for Bushnell's.

using a 32x in hunter isn't a waste, as you just turn it down to 16x.

As others have said, if you buy a Bushnell, you can sell it without taking much of a hit. I found a GREAT deal on mine in the US, and ended up selling it for EXACTLY what I paid for it. The buyer was happy too, as he received a great deal also. When I sold my Leapers 8-32, I lost 50% of my purchase price..

OK, thats what I was thinking you meant........

I would like to get Bushnell if possible, but I am not allowed into the USA, and I am not too concerned about trying to change that either :roll: So if I can buy one in Canada, or have one shipped to me I will get one, if not I will just have to get something else. What about Hawke scopes? are they any good? any recommendations

-Joel.G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:09 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Another bit of advice - buy the best scope you can afford right off the bat.

This is what I love about Field Target. Ask for help and experience and knowledge comes pouring out of the woodwork! Great advice from all but Pumpmaster sums it up for me. I think most get fixated with rifles and the scope becomes a secondary thought? I've wasted time on cheap scopes chasing false leads when diagnosing problems. For the frustration alone it's not worth it to me!
You mentioned Field Target and some hunting/pesting. I think my present rig fills the bill pretty good. I have an:
HW100S in .177, tuned down to 20ft/lbs for FT (yes, the FAC models in Canada are easily tuneable) topped off with a Bushnell 6500, 2.5-16 X42 in Millett Angle Loc rings.
What I like:
-from a bench, it can shoot sub 1/2" 10 shot groups at 50 yards
-impressive overall build quality (butter smooth action etc.)
-magazine won't interfere with sidewheels (and mags are less expensive than a 410's)
-regulated power output
I considered the 410 and wouldn't feel cheated if I had one but I liked the HW100 better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:26 pm 

windbag wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:
Another bit of advice - buy the best scope you can afford right off the bat.

This is what I love about Field Target. Ask for help and experience and knowledge comes pouring out of the woodwork! Great advice from all but Pumpmaster sums it up for me. I think most get fixated with rifles and the scope becomes a secondary thought? I've wasted time on cheap scopes chasing false leads when diagnosing problems. For the frustration alone it's not worth it to me!
You mentioned Field Target and some hunting/pesting. I think my present rig fills the bill pretty good. I have an:
HW100S in .177, tuned down to 20ft/lbs for FT (yes, the FAC models in Canada are easily tuneable) topped off with a Bushnell 6500, 2.5-16 X42 in Millett Angle Loc rings.
What I like:
-from a bench, it can shoot sub 1/2" 10 shot groups at 50 yards
-impressive overall build quality (butter smooth action etc.)
-magazine won't interfere with sidewheels (and mags are less expensive than a 410's)
-regulated power output
I considered the 410 and wouldn't feel cheated if I had one but I liked the HW100 better.

Very good info, thanks windbag.........

I do like the HW100, it is just a little bit more than I would like to spend, and personally I don't like the look of the stock. No offense meant to anyone, and I know you don't buy a gun for looks, but I just cant drop $1200+ on something I don't like to look at......That being said it does seem to have some great features like being regulated, and its clip not being in the way, and excellent overall build quality.....Just a little pricey, I wish SSSO still had some for sale ($300 cheaper than D&L :shock: ) and I would definitely consider one......

Maybe i can just use my 6-24x50mm for now until i get a feel for what i want on the gun. I am a newer FT shooter, so for all I know I may not even know what I actually want in terms of a scope......Until I get a bit more experience under my belt anyway....

PS- where could I get a shooting jacket? I see you have a very nice one :shock: ..........

-Joel.G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:37 pm 

UPDATE: The S410 fits into MBR FT stock, which I can get for $150. So I think I may get a S410 and the S400 FT stock, use one stock for hunting, one for FT :lol: Then I can also just get Beech stock (ill save $250, -$150 for other stock though, so ill still be saving $100....) as I will have another stock all together for FT....

Now another main question is; how crucial is the caliber? I would really like to get the gun in .22cal so it can be used for pesting. Is this a terrible idea? I obviously understand that .22cal may be harder as it is bigger in diameter; but how much harder is +0.021" on each side???

-Joel.G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:39 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:
I am a newer FT shooter, so for all I know I may not even know what I actually want in terms of a scope......Until I get a bit more experience under my belt anyway....

Best advice in this thread so far! :wink:

jgoodz420 wrote:
PS- where could I get a shooting jacket?

A few of us got ours at Creedmoor Sports. I think Sniper may have a line on a couple too depending on size. I'd hold off on a jacket until the very end. The gun and scope combo is much more important for now...JMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next