Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:34 pm 

I have read/heard many shooters say that to get to the next level it is important to stick with one gun to really hone your skills. Changing the equipment simply introduces too many new variables.

Knowing myself, I will eventually upgrade my rifle. I just like new toys :lol: However, the next step I would take would be a full match gun, so that would most likely be the last "upgrade" for quite some time.

My question is, does it makes sense to do it sooner than later so that I have more time to spend with the new gun, or does it make sense to keep shooting with what I've got, then upgrade when my skills are at the point where a better gun is needed to progress?

I can see good points either way, however one option lets me have a shiny new toy :lol: Guess I'm just looking for more rational second opinions!
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:00 am 

When I was shooting .22 LR Indoor 30 years ago, I set myself a goal, with a reward.... The goal was to get my Silver Shield with the gun my Dad used when he was shooting 40 years earlier.... It was a Winchester Model 69, bolt action with clip, with factory peep sights.... It weighed a whopping 4 lbs. or so, and I was shooting in the Sporter class, which was up to 7.5 lbs, no slings, no scopes, otherwise anything goes.... Lots of the people shooting in my class had the top of the line Anshutz Sporter of the day (can't remember the model) which weighed 7 lbs 7.5 oz.... Man they felt like a rock compared to my lightweight when shooting standing.... I decided that would be my reward, so that I could go on to my Gold Shield.... 8)

I plugged along, eventually realizing that I probably couldn't afford that Anshutz.... and along came a Russian made Vostok sporting target rifle, used, for $100 with no sights.... I snapped it up, cleaned off all the bear grease, bought a pair of Williams front and rear peeps, and tried it out.... It literally added 5 points to my standing score, and made every prone and kneeling an easy 100.... My Dad said "oh, sure.... now you'll get your Silver Shield with the new gun".... My reply was "nope, I'll get it with yours, you never did!".... Sure enough, I did just that.... and you know, that was reward enough.... It meant a LOT more to me than if I had done it with the best gun around.... I got interested in other things and ended up selling the Vostok before I got my Gold Shield.... :roll:

I think sticking with my lightweight, old gun until I was getting everything out of it that I could was a good decision.... I think it made me a better shooter, competing with (and beating most) others who had obviously superior equipment.... I learned enough that when I changed to a better gun, the results were virtually instantaneous.... I never did get my Anshutz, though.... always wonder what I could have done with that.... :mrgreen:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:56 am 

Thanks rsterne.
I have been thinking along similar lines - except for one reason.
The rifle I am shooting now is practically new, therefore it still has good resale value. I would most likely sell this rifle to help fund the next one, so that is something I must consider. I'd hate to hold off another season while the value of my current gun goes down, and the cost of the new gun most likely goes up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:23 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Thanks rsterne.
I have been thinking along similar lines - except for one reason.
The rifle I am shooting now is practically new, therefore it still has good resale value. I would most likely sell this rifle to help fund the next one, so that is something I must consider. I'd hate to hold off another season while the value of my current gun goes down, and the cost of the new gun most likely goes up.

Just can't get that EV2 out of your head can ya'? :lol:

It's always nice to have a standby rifle......or two......or three..... :roll: :lol:

I prefer a bit, er, a lot, of variety.... :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:12 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
Just can't get that EV2 out of your head can ya'? :lol:

It's always nice to have a standby rifle......or two......or three..... :roll: :lol:

I prefer a bit, er, a lot, of variety.... :D
Yes, the EV2 is in my head...I wish I had skipped the Christmas match, it's going to cost me a fortune! :lol:
First pirellip let me use his scuba tank to fill my rifle, so within a week or so I had purchased a carbon fiber tank and hose assembly....Then airgunsource had to bring along a new EV2 MkIII for me to drool over.... :?
I like your idea of the standby rifle(s)...that's how I was justifying that HW97 and Bushnell 6500 I just bought.....This hobby is TOO addictive! Why can't I just like cheap powderburners :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:26 am 

Pumpmaster wrote:
...it is important to stick with one gun to really hone your skills. Changing the equipment simply introduces too many new variables.

Don't let any of the wives read this! The For Sale section will get overloaded! :lol:
I think anything you learn from shooting any rifle will help you down the road regardless of what you choose to shoot next. I agree new equipment requires time to aclimatize to but you've become very competitive very quickly and I don't see this being a huge issue for you. On the other hand, that rifle has kept me awake a few nights myself so go ahead and get it! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:02 am 

windbag wrote:
I think anything you learn from shooting any rifle will help you down the road regardless of what you choose to shoot next. I agree new equipment requires time to aclimatize to but you've become very competitive very quickly and I don't see this being a huge issue for you. On the other hand, that rifle has kept me awake a few nights myself so go ahead and get it! :lol:
Good points, and thanks for the compliment. I am so impressed by the guys who can show up to each match with a different rifle and shoot consistently well. I unfortunately don't get hardly any practice time, so I know I need to stick with one setup in order to improve. I tend to spend the first 3 lanes of a match just getting back into my rhythm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:42 pm 

Equipment CAN make the difference- I found this out shooting outdoor 3-P. I had a 69-A with the factory peep. It was a nice accurate little gun- but there was a limit to what it could do. Like wise the Remington 525-S...

If you know your way around the positions, and have some idea of breath and trigger control, then superior equipment will make it's self noticeable right away. The differences between the guns mentioned above, and the 52-Sporting repro were night and day for me.

The adage: "Beware the man who only owns one gun- he likely knows how to use it" don't hold a lot of water for me. That man is likely keenly aware of that gun's limitations. Personally, I prefer "Use the right tool for the Job"

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:46 pm 

Quote:
Equipment CAN make the difference

Absolutely no argument.... My Vostok added 5 points to my standing scores the first night I shot it (going from 93-94 to 98-99).... However, I had already pretty well peaked with my Model 69 Winchester.... My scores basically hadn't improved for an entire year.... so time to move up.... :mrgreen:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:55 pm 

My current rifle is definitely capable of better scores, and I do not expect a full match gun to improve my scores initially at all. I need to learn patience when it comes to new gear...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:49 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Pumpmaster wrote:
My current rifle is definitely capable of better scores, and I do not expect a full match gun to improve my scores initially at all. I need to learn patience when it comes to new gear...

sell your s400 and get an ev2 or a Steyr. Simple as that- you're ready for it. A Walther Dominator would be fine for 12ftlb too. The Steyr has the most adjustable ergonomics but the ev2 and the Walther are very popular and for good reason too.

I agree that you should stick to one rifle. The problem, for me at least, is finding the right one. They are all equally accurate, so it really boils down to ergonomics and shot cycle. I have the Steyr which has the most adjustability, and now i'm playing with the Daystate MkIV which has the fastest fully electronic shot cycle. It also has mediocore ergonomics though, but a custom stock could fix that.

I do also want to play with the ev2 and also the Pro Target. So get the ev2 and stick with that for awhile, or get a Steyr, you can't go wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 pm 

one gun :rolleyes: trigger time, thats what gets you to the next level :twisted:

BSA Superstar Magnum 2
umarex 92fs x2, Sig 225, S&W m&p
crosman 1322

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:26 pm 

Two short stories to relate from many many moons past as a teenager

1) There WAS a time BEFORE the registry when a Sawed-off .22 cal powderburner (Brand ??) with a V-notch rear site & soldered-on (home-made) foresight blade- was perfectly acceptable for Grandpa to allow his pre-teen progeny to use as a varmint gun on private property around the cabin down-home. After getting accustomed to it's supposed " Shortcomings" Many of us had the opportunity to hone our skills with it over several generations before it became a prohibited long?gun under the Registry.
Score 1 for 1 gun

2) Finally ! 14 -Just old enough to get my first small-game license, & get in on the weekly 22.cal Marksman challenge at the local indoor range. Two (paper) dollar Tuesdays over the long winter, Adults down to ME, & I actually got my Marskmanship certification. The only Hurdle was not having my own rifle. So, I had to use whichever one ( all one unknown Brand ??) (Contributed??) that I got week to week for my two bucks. Bonus! same ammo provided every time, Most Important Bonus ... Ammo for a full sheet to practice with that new open-sight .22 each week.
Score 1 for a Different Gun
I would LIKE to agree with Pirellip & several others & say that if you can, sell one off & retrain yourself on something that you know "can" perform & that you WISH to experiment with, yet in the same breath I CAN say that I tend towards the habit of the likes of supermatic etc. - " SELL?"

Wishing I had your present DILEMMA ........ :mrgreen: - PK.