Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:03 pm 

I was wondering if there is any kind of recommended minimum magnification for a FT scope ? My current scope is 3x9x32. I normally use it on 5x for 10m shooting. I am looking to purchase a new scope and was looking at a 4x16x50. Is there any advantage to the extra magnification. I realize that the larger the magnification of the scope the more the movement of the gun is also magnified. So what do most people use ? Also is there any rules limiting the size of a scope ?

Thanks
Jeff.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound.
WAGG. Waterloo Area Greyhound Group.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:30 pm 

The scope is only limited in the Hunter FT Division (HFT).... The maximum power you can use in HFT is 16X and you must cover the distance markings on the objective.... it is to be used for focusing only, not for range-finding.... :wink:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:18 pm 

As already stated, the max for Hunter is 16x.
For other divisions, there is not a limit. My first FT scope was 8-32x56, my new scope is 10-50x60. Both are common magnification ranges for FT.
Using the higher magnification obviously allows you to get in nice and close on the small targets, but it also allows you to range find more accurately.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:50 pm 

Thanks for the information. Now all we need is some nice weather.

Jeff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:42 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

It's been said 100 times before but I will say it again: try to spend as much as you can on your scope. The Bushnell Elite 4200 in either 6-24 or 8-32 is a world class setup and is the least expensive. You can get them off eBay for less than $400USD. There's nothing wrong with spending more on your scope than your rifle and you can always sell the scope for $25 less than you paid for it too if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:09 pm 

pirellip wrote:
It's been said 100 times before but I will say it again: try to spend as much as you can on your scope. The Bushnell Elite 4200 in either 6-24 or 8-32 is a world class setup and is the least expensive. You can get them off eBay for less than $400USD. There's nothing wrong with spending more on your scope than your rifle and you can always sell the scope for $25 less than you paid for it too if needed.
Great advice. A wise man once said "I can't afford a cheap scope."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:31 pm 

Well right now what I am looking at is a Leapers 4-16x50 (LESCP-416AOMDLTS). It is $110 from Air Gun Source. The Bushnell scopes look great but considering I just purchased a new rifle, I think that this might be it for a while. I know what you guys are saying and I appreciate it.

Jeff.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:36 am 

Dont tell my wife wrote:
Well right now what I am looking at is a Leapers 4-16x50 (LESCP-416AOMDLTS). It is $110 from Air Gun Source. The Bushnell scopes look great but considering I just purchased a new rifle, I think that this might be it for a while. I know what you guys are saying and I appreciate it.

Jeff.

The Leapers stuff is generally ok to start with. The only real problem is that when you decide to upgrade the scope doesn't hold much resale value. Most of us FT guys are gear nuts, so resale value is typically an important consideration! What rifle are you putting this scope on?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:06 am 

I'm likely going to put it on my QB78D. Just picked it up from Sniper last week. I don't really worry too much about resale, as I tend to hold on to things. Once I get involved in a few matches and feel the need to upgrade I can always pass it on to my boys, so they can get involved.

Thanks.
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:06 am 

That combination of scope and gun should work out just fine for starting out in hunter division. I would guess that the the qb78 is probably currently the most common gun that newcomers start out with. The Leapers scope is as good as or better than many of those in Hunter Division start with. In fact I have a Leapers 8-32 aboard my HW97 spring gun and It works out quite well, although I agree with Pirellip the Bushnell 4200 8-32 is the best bang for the buck out there and holds its resale value well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:09 am 

That is what I wanted to hear. Something that will give me a fighting chance off the hop.

Thanks again
Jeff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:07 am 

I started out with a QB78 and a Leapers 8-32x56 turned down to 15x. A good relatively inexpensive way to start (just hang on to your wallet once you get hooked!) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:15 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
I started out with a QB78 and a Leapers 8-32x56 turned down to 15x. A good relatively inexpensive way to start (just hang on to your wallet once you get hooked!) :lol:
You are SOOOOO right.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:39 pm 

Are there anything matches coming up in the near future ? I am not sure I am ready to participate but would love to watch. I have never been to one.

Jeff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:14 pm 

Dont tell my wife wrote:
Are there anything matches coming up in the near future ? I am not sure I am ready to participate but would love to watch. I have never been to one.

Jeff.

The first scheduled outdoor FT match is on May 1st at the Elmira Club. There is an indoor pistol FT match coming up in February I believe.

If the weather permits, the Port Club may slide in an early spring fun FT match where we do not have awards, but just set out a match for practice and fun. We had one last year and it worked out real well.

Anything coming up will be announced here and on the FT Central sites for sure. If you are not on the Canadian shooter's email list, drop me a PM with your name and email addy and you will be added to the list that has all FT and airgun related announcements sent to them BCC so no one else gets your email address.

Tim