Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:40 pm 

Bubble levels are common to check cant (horizontal level).
Would an "angle level" be allowed to check the vertical level of the rifle on shots upwards or downwards?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:34 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

That's one question I can't answer for sure. My logic says that it should be allowed, as it's not much different than a sideways level. But practically I don't see it being that useful. From what I've read there is the 20 rule; which is if the target is less than 20 degrees up or down or less than 20 yards away don't worry arout it. If it's outside of this aim at the top of the KZ. There are online chatyls that show this, search the US FT forums.

The best bet is to test it out yourself. Go into the woods and shoot at leaves in a safe direction, or with the tree as the backstop. You'll quickly get a sense for the shift in POI.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:23 pm 

pirellip wrote:
That's one question I can't answer for sure. My logic says that it should be allowed, as it's not much different than a sideways level. But practically I don't see it being that useful. From what I've read there is the 20 rule; which is if the target is less than 20 degrees up or down or less than 20 yards away don't worry arout it. If it's outside of this aim at the top of the KZ. There are online chatyls that show this, search the US FT forums.

The best bet is to test it out yourself. Go into the woods and shoot at leaves in a safe direction, or with the tree as the backstop. You'll quickly get a sense for the shift in POI.
That's interesting, I hadn't heard about the "20 rule" before. So would a shooter be within the rules to affix a means of checking the upwards/downwards angle of their rifle, even if used primarily for practice/testing purposes?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:38 am 

This is a chart that I copied from a prominent US shooter, who may be the same one that has often stated the 20/20 rule.. You can see the numbers are very small under the 20s as Tom suggested. Outside of 20 yards and 20 degrees, the numbers start to get larger, but the correction is to aim lower at these extremes. The direct distance to the target may be 55 yards, but if it is at a 30 degree angle up or down, the horizontal distance is less than 55 yards. If you click the scope to your 55 yard setting, the pellet will strike approximately an inch high, so aiming at the bottom of the kill zone would probably result in at hit on a 1.5" kill zone.

The numbers under the degree are given is inches you would hold under to hit the target.

Hold Under for Angled Shots

Range/Deg>-10º-20º-30º-40º
Yards
10-----0.00--0.01--0.03--0.05
15-----0.01--0.03--0.07--0.12
20-----0.01--0.06--0.12--0.20
25-----0.03--0.10--0.20--0.47
30-----0.03--0.13--0.28--0.50
35-----0.05--0.18--0.39--0.69
40-----0.06--0.23--0.52--0.90
45-----0.08--0.30--0.66--1.16
50-----0.09--0.37--0.83--1.45
55-----0.12--0.46--1.02--1.78

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:06 am 

Thanks for the info. There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. I did some searching last night and have probably found as many people stating you need to aim HIGH when shooting upwards as people who suggest you aim LOW.
The chart you posted helps clarify things.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:22 am 

Easy to remember which way to hold.... If you shot straight up, gravity would only slow the pellet, not cause it to curve downwards relative to the line of sight.... Since we typically sight in so that the pellet crosses the line of sight at about 10 yards (and again at 30-40 yards).... at anything past that (first cross) the pellet will hit high.... meaning you have to aim low.... :wink:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:14 am 

I bought one of these a while ago:
http://www.horusvision.com/asli.php
It gives a reading of the angle and a cosine value for calculating the corrected distance. It's one of the many projects I never got around to testing but I plan on giving it a try on a PCP in the near future...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:48 am 

windbag wrote:
It gives a reading of the angle and a cosine value for calculating the corrected distance. It's one of the many projects I never got around to testing but I plan on giving it a try on a PCP in the near future...

That's actually the level I was referring to. What is your opinion of the quality? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:48 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
What is your opinion of the quality?

Seems very well made. Solid feel, fit and finish are good. Well thought out mounting options. The price has come down substantially since I bought mine! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:31 pm 

windbag wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:
What is your opinion of the quality?

Seems very well made. Solid feel, fit and finish are good. Well thought out mounting options. The price has come down substantially since I bought mine! :evil:

Wow, they're not exactly cheap now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:27 am 
Supporting Member 2009

windbag wrote:

OMG is there any gaget you don't own Windbag??

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:14 pm 

I need all the help I can get to edge out guys like you! :wink: