Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 am 

rsterne wrote:
I think AA built you a whistle.... :D

Bob

:P one darn accurate whistle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 am 

It seem to sound like your connection and seals within the charge unit is not really keeping the air and pressure consistent and that can cause the whistle because the pressure is 3000 psi. Maybe you should dismantle the connections and tape it again and this time make sure its tight. My AA only whistle for a second or so until the pressure locks the connections and completely seals everything and my pressure increases to the pressure I fill my AA. I did the same with mine especially with the connection between the S410 adaptor and the hose or with your quick disconnect adaptor that connects to your hose. I have the Scuba Filling set purchased at airgunsource.com (see Pic). This might resolve your whistling AA. :rolleyes:

Attachments:
AV-QUICKSET_small.JPG
AV-QUICKSET_small.JPG [ 3.17 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]
Air Venturi PCP Scuba Charging Set.jpg
Air Venturi PCP Scuba Charging Set.jpg [ 26.19 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:25 am 

ArkBark wrote:
It seem to sound like your connection and seals within the charge unit is not really keeping the air and pressure consistent and that can cause the whistle because the pressure is 3000 psi. Maybe you should dismantle the connections and tape it again and this time make sure its tight. My AA only whistle for a second or so until the pressure locks the connections and completely seals everything and my pressure increases to the pressure I fill my AA. I did the same with mine especially with the connection between the S410 adaptor and the hose or with your quick disconnect adaptor that connects to your hose. I have the Scuba Filling set purchased at airgunsource.com (see Pic). This might resolve your whistling AA. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update, I saw that refill clamp a little while ago, looks like a nice unit.....

I haven't said much yet, but I don't think I should be responsible for buying/replacing the connection. Airgunsource makes them with the AA rifles they sell, so technically (if the hose is the problem) I think they should replace or fix it as it is only a month old and has been that way since I got it. ........Considering the amount of money spent, I shouldn't have to worry about things like that :roll: sure I can fix it, no problem........ but I shouldn't have to IMO.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:21 am 

FWIW, Joel - I don't think that there is anything wrong with any of your fill equipment or connections, so I wouldn't worry about it. I see a lot of complex solutions offered here for what amounts to be a non-issue.

When I got my very first PCP, an AA S400, I was concerned by that same sound, but upon asking around, I found that it was normal for some guns. It seems to be dependent on the type of fill connector, and the type of check valve used, etc. The air pressure does not always unseat the check valve uniformly, thus, creating the whistle effect.

On the Condor/Talon, you are not dealing with a check valve, you are unseating the actual valve stem, thus it is being guided by the rod of the valve stem, maintaining a uniform unseating of the seal, and no whistle effect is created.

Some of the mini Fosters have a guide rod of sorts, while others do not - dependent on the manufacturer. This is why some folks with the modded Discos, etc may not be familiar with the sound.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:55 pm 

I did not say to replace the one he has nor was it a problem. I have 2 AA, and one (S410 HP) is about 10 yrs old with a Foster Connector adaptor and the other (s410 XTRA FAC) is about 2 years with the new version Brass fitting adaptor. I have the Scuba Filling set with the Quick disconnect for both adaptors. Both AA are years apart and when I fill either one I get the same one second whistle upon filling and then it stops. Like I said the first time I had it connected, it was not fully tightened and therefore caused a whistle. Once I tighted the connectors again this resolved my whisting problem. I have 2 to relate so and I doubled check my facts before I suggested it, and it was only a suggestion, it up to you to fix it or let someone else do it for you.

In a sealed environment and there are no leaks, the valve lifting to let high pressure air pass through it should not vibrate and cause the whistle. The cause of unbalance pressure and air flow will do that. The speed in which the air rushing in is not like if you are filling from an empty tank. I'm sure he is filling it from 90 - 110 BAR already. That pressure should balance very quickly and therefore should not whistle. If you listen to the sound, is it coming from the area of the hose near the connectors or in the S410 area (Adaptor area or near the S410)? Then that is where you should look at and if possible the connections might not be tight enough or should be retightened with a tape, unless your 2 o-rings in the S410 Adaptor is not sealing properly then check there and if they need a replacement you can go to Home Depot and get them there for pennies or put a lubricant on them.

:bear:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:18 pm 

What Suprmatic said. Don't worry about it. Fill the gun, shoot and have fun.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:26 pm 

Mac wrote:

Tim

Sounds like the best solution to me :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
FWIW, Joel - I don't think that there is anything wrong with any of your fill equipment or connections, so I wouldn't worry about it. I see a lot of complex solutions offered here for what amounts to be a non-issue.

When I got my very first PCP, an AA S400, I was concerned by that same sound, but upon asking around, I found that it was normal for some guns. It seems to be dependent on the type of fill connector, and the type of check valve used, etc. The air pressure does not always unseat the check valve uniformly, thus, creating the whistle effect.

On the Condor/Talon, you are not dealing with a check valve, you are unseating the actual valve stem, thus it is being guided by the rod of the valve stem, maintaining a uniform unseating of the seal, and no whistle effect is created.

Some of the mini Fosters have a guide rod of sorts, while others do not - dependent on the manufacturer. This is why some folks with the modded Discos, etc may not be familiar with the sound.

Thanks Len,

Im sure you are right, I was told multiple times that was normal, but I just had to ask.......I'm Dutch I can't help it :wink: :lol:

What you're saying does make perfect sense, I just didn't feel comfortable making the judgment call with my 1 month experience with PCP's, thanks for the information/explanation Supr, it is appreciated.........Once I can envision/know whats happening in there it just makes me feel safer :| couldn't tell you why though..... :lol:

Thanks to everyone for your information, experiences and suggestions they are greatly appreciated.......My mind has been put at ease.........

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:02 pm 

Sounds like " Valve- Flutter " in anything that has a single valve. Kinda' like my HOWLING downstairs toilet if you don't flush it just right. :toimonster:
Even pumping up my QB often produces a high pitched wheezy squeak on each stroke.
Relax, & monitor for changes only if your rig behaves differently when fired.
P.S. DON'T blow yerself up with that scuba tank - :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:56 pm 

I'mPOWDERKEG wrote:
Even pumping up my QB often produces a high pitched wheezy squeak on each stroke.

Jeepers - I always thought that was you making that funny wheezy sound...... :P :lol: .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:55 pm 

I'mPOWDERKEG wrote:
P.S. DON'T blow yerself up with that scuba tank - :roll: :wink:

I'll try not to :P ........last time I blew myself up it sucked :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:01 am 
Supporting Member 2009

Mac wrote:

Tim

Wise men, combined they have many years of PCP experience. Mine sounds just like yours when I fill my S410.