Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:04 am 

Finally got to shoot my modded 1322 this weekend.
We were shooting at maybe 50 yards ish. After sighting it in. I was getting 3.5-4 inch groups with the 1x red dot mounted.
I was using some real old wads that came with the gun (20yrs old). Also tried some prometheus pellets. The prometh's has some serious penetration btw.
Anyhow what do you think is an acceptable grouping using the pictured set up? I do plan on getting some JSb's and a mount for a scope is soon to be in the mail.
Just not sure what to expect .
Regards
Walther

Cp88 nickel comp. modded
Tanfoglio Limited Custom .177 BB
P226 x-five open comp tuned
Gsg-92 full race IPSC style mod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Nice build... 8)
You posted in field target so I'm guessing you're looking to shoot Pistol FT?

Currently in Pistol FT, targets are set out at distances between 10-25yards. I have yet to see Kill Zone sizes smaller then 1-1/2" in use during a match, that's not to say that may never change?. Scoring goes like this, 2 points for sending a pellet through the Kill Zone and knocking the field target over, 1 point for a hit anywhere on the target which remains standing and a 0 for a complete miss... If you're shooting 3.5-4" groups at 50yards, after careful pellet selections sounds like you'll be knocking over more then just a few targets...

More details can be found here... http://www.caftahome.com/Pistol%20Field ... elines.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:52 am 

Thanks Parker
As I did my first barrel crowning job on this gun I was worried I messed it up. I had no idea what to expect for accuracy.
Hopefully when I get my scope mounted that should work much better. The red dot was temporary as I "borrowed" it from my cp88 until I get a mount.
Cheers
Walther

Cp88 nickel comp. modded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:01 pm 

If you are planning to shoot pistol FT keep in mind that we have to stay under 500fps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 pm 

You don't mention how many shots are in your groups but if you're starting out with 3.5" 10 shot groups at 50 yards with an unmagnified optic that's a great starting point! Careful pellet selection (JSB's?) and a 4X scope will shrink that significantly I'm sure. That will definitely kick some butt!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:18 pm 

windbag wrote:
You don't mention how many shots are in your groups but if you're starting out with 3.5" 10 shot groups at 50 yards with an unmagnified optic that's a great starting point! Careful pellet selection (JSB's?) and a 4X scope will shrink that significantly I'm sure. That will definitely kick some butt!

Thanks
They were approximately 10 shot groups. I am looking at JSB's for sure.
I've already got this scope http://leapers.com/production/prod_detail.php?mitem=Optics&itemno=SCP-432AOMDL2
Just got to get a short 1 piece mount for it.
I am getting excited..
Walther

Cp88 nickel comp. modded

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:38 pm 

AHhhh, a pumper, so I'm not alone ... It looks great; & at 50 Yds you're getting good results, for PFT sight it in at about mid- range between 10 -25 yards & keep it under 500 fps & you're good to go. How many pumps by the way, or is it modded ?
Do post another pic when you get the scope mounted. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:48 am 
Supporting Member 2009

As windbag said, those are very reasonable groups given the sights you were using. Also wad cutters cannot be counted on for accuracy that far out. I would trust the other pellets either. Get some JSBs and the highest magnification scope you can (even if it's temporary) make sure it has adjustable parallax and hen you can really test the accuracy. Without an adjustable parallax scope it'll be tough to always have a consistent sight picture on the pistol.