Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Outdoors Target Setup
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:00 pm 

So I'm thinking of dismantling our old BBQ and setting up the lid as a moveable target stand.
My design would pretty much be the BBQ lid on the ground with the interior side being the side I shoot on. (acting as a small backstop as well). I could put my targets up in the lid, and I could drill holes from the top and use string to hang pop cans from to shoot.
Good idea, or should I suck it up and just buy a spinner?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:59 pm 

When the pellets hit the cast iron, I'm betting it's gonna clang like crazy.

Aim Small. Miss Small.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:58 am 

Based on the shape of the lid, you may be in for some interesting ricochets as well.
Spend the $15 on a spinner. JMO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:26 am 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Based on the shape of the lid, you may be in for some interesting ricochets as well.

X2 on the spinner, you can get a spinner with 10 targets on it for $30+tax from AGS..........You will have much more fun shooting a reactive target, I always seem to anyways........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:34 am 

If you do a search on this site, I'm sure you'll find dimensions for a great pellet trap made from sheet metal. I've used the plans myself and the trap is great for indoors as well as outdoors and it works great for me. I recommend doubling up on the backing material to prevent any pellets from going through after repeated hits in the same spot. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:56 pm 

I have three target set ups in the backyard and yes one of them is an old barbecue.To line the lid and keep noise and richochets in check I lined the lid with a heavy duty rubber boot mat or welcome mat.Two target set ups have worked flawlessy for two years now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:25 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:

I will have to agree. I started out using an old wheelbarrow which worked great if I hit in the large area. (I got the idea from an in-law who has an incredible indoor powder burner range using the bow plate from a British armored car as the bullet stop).

Problem was if I hit the side the pellets circled around and came whistling back.

Actually you have that potential if you shoot tin cans with anything that cannot penetrate the tin can.

This spring during yard sale season I'm going looking for suitable whirligigs to use as spinners...I detest whirligigs. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:20 pm 

MAUSER wrote:

This spring during yard sale season I'm going looking for suitable whirligigs to use as spinners...I detest whirligigs. :mrgreen:

haha that actually seems like a good idea, and you can buy some durable ones from CT for $10

or like you said, yard sales

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:17 pm 

As for the BBQ lid idea, if you fit a piece of plywood at the front of the opening, wouldn't that stop comebacks?
The pellets would go through the plywood, but not have enough energy left to come back through a second time.

Have to keep changing the plywood though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:34 pm 

check my pellet trap out . you can make it any size you want and hang stuff in it too. plus i put a handle on it to carry around and for transporting to my buddies . he doesnt like all that lead on his land , which is cool by me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:34 pm 

Been using my old barbecue for two years now. Lined the lid with a thick rubber boot mat. Works perfect. No noise, no richochets!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:45 pm 

If you're so keen to have garbage strewn across your lawn just buy an old car and shoot at that. last you much longer. :roll: