Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:48 pm 

I did some initial chrony testing on my EV2.
I got an impressive 146 good shots on a fill, but it's only averaging 11.18 ftlbs. (774.1fps - 8.4gr JSBs)
I only have about 200 pellets through it so far, Air Arms claims a break in of 2000 pellets.
Will this break in time affect velocity at all?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:18 pm 

Even if it stays right there as long as its consistent who cares? The point is do all the pellets go to the same spot or does the shooter have a break in period :mrgreen: (Green with envy)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:22 pm 

Might I humbly suggest it is set the way it is (I'm assuming it's set for 12 FPE max.).... so that if you use heavy pellets like Kodiaks it is still under 12 FPE?.... :wink:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:38 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
I got an impressive 146 good shots on a fill, but it's only averaging 11.18 ftlbs. (774.1fps - 8.4gr JSBs)
I only have about 200 pellets through it so far, Air Arms claims a break in of 2000 pellets.
Thanks!

Dang... sound like you got a lemon... it's worthless now so send it to me :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:11 pm 

Trust me, I'm not complaining!
I just want to know if I should expect the velocity to creep up at all (which will affect POI).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:12 pm 

RC wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:
Thanks!

Dang... sound like you got a lemon... it's worthless now so send it to me :lol:

Hey there Pumpmaster,

Most likely it will get lost in the mail again... I'll buy it off you at this Sunday match at Burlington!!!! How's $300 cash sound?!! :lol: My purchase of a Norinco SKS will have to wait (Sorry Sniper!)!! :lol:

What you there is a beautifully built rifle for FT shooting that will ensure ALL pellets land exactly where you aim it! Congrats on the purchase!

Take care,

NIGHTHAWK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:44 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Trust me, I'm not complaining!
I just want to know if I should expect the velocity to creep up at all (which will affect POI).

It's going to drop huge! :shock: down to 8 ft/lb with 4.3gr pellets. That hammer spring gonna weaken and the valve spring will snap in half.

I'll give ya $301 and I'll even pick it up at your place.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 pm 

My ld and USFT had to be turned down a bit after I had shot them a while. With your current velocity, if it does go up some, you should still be below the 12 ft/lb limit. If it stays the way it is and is accurate, that's great too.

Just keep checking the velocity from time to time to see if there is a change. A 10fps rise in average would hardly show in your point of impact. I am sure you will be well past the 2000 shot mark by Spring.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 am 

I think it'll go up a tad after the barrel and valve stem gets burnished some...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:41 am 

"
NIGHTHAWK wrote:
I'll buy it off you at this Sunday match at Burlington!!!! How's $300 cash sound?!! :lol:

RC wrote:
I'll give ya $301 and I'll even pick it up at your place.

Thanks for all the offers guys, but I think I'll hang onto the EV2 at least until the FT season starts :lol:
My wife has already asked "so, when you're bored of that one what's the next best thing?" Guess she knows me pretty good...
I've gotta do some testing tomorrow with some other pellets. I just realized the test data from Air Arms shows they used 4.52 pellets...wonder if the 4.53s I was using were tight enough in the barrel to cause the velocity drop?

Mac - I have every intention of actually finding time to practice this year, so hopefully the 2000 pellet mark will come quickly. None of the rifles I've owned over the past couple years have seen much more than a tin's worth of pellets! Thankfully the EV2 is still quiet enough to practice in my basement until the weather warms up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
My wife has already asked "so, when you're bored of that one what's the next best thing?"

Hmmmm......I'm not entirely sure that there is "a next best thing"......is there? :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:19 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
Hmmmm......I'm not entirely sure that there is "a next best thing"......is there? :?

For a purpose built 12fpe FT rifle I guess there isn't really a "next best thing", although some of the Steyr guys may argue that! :lol:
I ran some JSB Express's through the chrony today. While I did pick up some velocity (792fps vs. 774) I lost energy, so I think I'll stick to the 8.4s.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:23 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:
My wife has already asked "so, when you're bored of that one what's the next best thing?"

How does a Daystate Grand Prix stand up to a EV2?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:42 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:
Suprmatic wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:

Actually, it was a rhetorical question......... :D .
Then again - ya' absolutely gotta' have a digital readout, and all the associated computer controlled gadgetry :rolleyes: .
Lets see.....sell the EV-2 and second mortgage the house....... :lol: .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:28 am 

jgoodz420 wrote:
I don't know a lot about the Daystate rifles, but I do know I wouldn't want one with the electronics. While I think it's very neat, and possibly the future for all competition rifles, it would just be one more thing to worry about for me.