Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:59 pm 

Ok

I know that I am going to get a lot of this is best or that is best.

What should I look for in a air rifle to start with.

Should I go PCP or springer

I shoot a steyr LG 10 at 10 metres now would like something of same quality for Field Target.

Also what scope ??

Thanks
Don

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:44 am 

Field target in general is not an inexpensive sport, although you do have a lot of options depending on how much you're willing to shell out.
For the best accuracy, PCP is generally the way to go (although many are successful with springers).
Here's a few options off the top of my head.
1.Modded QB78 with a Leapers 8-32 scope. About $450 new/$300 used.
2.Benjamin Discovery with a Bushnell 4200 8-32. About $800 new/$500 used.
3.Air Arms S400 with a Bushnell 4200 8-32. About $1600 new/$1100 used.
4.Air Arms EV2 with a Nikko Diamond 10-50. About $3500 new/$2400 used.
5.Daystate Grand Prix with a Schmidt and Bender 12.5-50. About $6400 new/4800???used.

Now that I have shot FT for a couple years, I would recommend starting at option #2 (I went from #1 to #4 pretty quickly). That will be a very competitive combo that won't break the bank, and will hold good resale value if (and when) you decide to upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:58 am 

Pumpmaster you might be a little low on some of the estimates, the Elite 4200 8-32 retails for between $660. and $690. I bought one of mine used 2 years ago for $300 US and I don't think that you will often find them much cheaper. Alternatively you could look at this scope for a real entry level. http://www.crosman.com/airguns/accessories/optics/premium/CP832AORG Keyrigger has mentioned to me that he thinks these are a reasonable option for the budget conscious.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:37 am 

If you want something of same quality as your Steyr LG10 but in rifle form:
- Steyr LG100/LG110
- Walther Dominator
- Air Arms EV2
- FWB P70FT

Two best scope options regardless:
- Front Focus: Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40
- Side Focus: Nikko Sterling Diamond 10-50x60

But you asked "what should I start with". Most beginners do not dive in at the above PCP equipment level. If you can, you won't be disappointed as you are starting off with world class equipment. I would recommend you do get one of the above scopes, regardless where you start for a rifle. If somewhat hesitant on the cash output for the rifle, I would start with a Air Arms MPR-FT for around a thousand dollars new. You will be able to shoot essentially the same size groups but not have a regulated PCP. So shot count will be lower 65-75 shots (verses 120-180 with same power output of sub 12fpe). Rifle matches are generally 60 shots, so you will have enough for a whole match anyway. Many higher powered shooters have to fill at the half way point of a match anyway.

My spring gun top picks are fairly standard:
- Air Arms TX200
- HW 97
- Air Arms Pro Sport
- If you get lucky enough to find a used TX200SR (semi recoiless) it is certainly a top pick as well. No longer made new.
- RWS 54 (bringing in the bottom of the pack).

You can buy a AA TX200 and Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32 scope and have the same combination that many top Piston FT shooters are using around the World (take into consideration they will have likely done other modifications to the internals of the gun/trigger/stock).

But with PCP, you will want to buy a SCBA of SCUBA tank to fill from, hose and gauge assembly, etc. So initial cost is higher, but you will have a no recoil airgun that will assist in producing better shot groups with less effort. But all shooters will share this advantage so there will always be plenty of competition.

fatbastard wrote:
Ok

I know that I am going to get a lot of this is best or that is best.

What should I look for in a air rifle to start with.

Should I go PCP or springer

I shoot a steyr LG 10 at 10 metres now would like something of same quality for Field Target.

Also what scope ??

Thanks
Don

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:06 am 

canshooter wrote:
Pumpmaster you might be a little low on some of the estimates, the Elite 4200 8-32 retails for between $660. and $690. I bought one of mine used 2 years ago for $300 US
:oops: I was recently told you could get an Elite 4200 from the US for about $500 new. They are still available used in the $300 range though. None of my estimates took into account shipping or taxes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:39 am 

You might be able to buy a one new in the US for $500, or slightly over (plus shipping and currency exchange and customs fees). This seems to be the standard retail now. Of course some special circumstances may bring a lower price. But I have not seen a used one in the US for $300 for a very long time (Bushnell Elite 4200).

As Ted said, usually well over $600 here in Canada new, and usually in the 450 range used.

Pumpmaster wrote:
canshooter wrote:
Pumpmaster you might be a little low on some of the estimates, the Elite 4200 8-32 retails for between $660. and $690. I bought one of mine used 2 years ago for $300 US
:oops: I was recently told you could get an Elite 4200 from the US for about $500 new. They are still available used in the $300 range though. None of my estimates took into account shipping or taxes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:18 pm 

CJN wrote:
But I have not seen a used one in the US for $300 for a very long time (Bushnell Elite 4200)
One just sold on ebay for $316 about a week ago...I knew I should have grabbed it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:23 pm 

.... to start FT with......

sounds bloody rich for me! Is this a techno weenie arms race? (Ron Robinson in Manic Compressive) great read.

I had visions of a much more affordable sport.

Walter....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:40 pm 

I would go with.........

Leapers 4-16x50 AO Scope, Illuminated Red/Green Mil-Dot Reticle ---- $109.99

RWS 34 (.177) Wood ----$299.99 ($463.28 w/scope and tax)
OR
Gamo HUNTER SPORT (.177)---$244.95 ($401.08 w/scope and tax)
(fluted bull-barrel & scope)

Not a "top notch" setup, but nothing to be laughed at either.......IMO

For $629.99 this is a pretty solid setup as well (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I believe this is made by BSA......3-9x50mm scope, 10-shot clip, built in compensator etc, etc........
http://www.businessvision.net/Edge/Main ... egoryID=34

I think it really comes down to what you want to and/or are willing to spend on your setup........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:08 pm 

Remember he said "I shoot a steyr LG 10 at 10 metres now would like something of same quality for Field Target."

The LG10 is not a entry level pistol. And the guns and scopes I listed are not entry level either. They are something of the same quality for rifle Field Target. Obviously there are a handfuls of other cheaper options.

Pumpmaster. You should have bought it for $316USD if it was a good one. All of my used scope searching comes from daily views of the US airgun forum classifieds (yellow/Brad's/etc). I have not seen a 4200 8-32 sell for anywhere near $300 on them for a very long time. Ebay will likely produce the better deals now and again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 pm 

I see, with that in mind he should get a Steyr to go with his pistol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:41 am 

Just to set the records straight the Steyr that I have is not a pistol but a 10 metre match rifle.

I do like that GAMO DYNAMAX PCP RIFLE .177 CAL that is above but how accurate is it. I belive that single shot is more accurate than multi shot. Is this correct??

I have no problem spending a few bucks here to get something worth shooting.
I belive in getting the best that you can get the first timeout. Upgrades cost you more in the long run.

I really like the PCP style guns and would like to stay with that. I have tryed the side cranks and I thing after 60 or 70 shots my shooting ablity would be gone.

Don

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:20 pm 

fatbastard wrote:
Just to set the records straight the Steyr that I have is not a pistol but a 10 metre match rifle.

I do like that GAMO DYNAMAX PCP RIFLE .177 CAL that is above but how accurate is it. I belive that single shot is more accurate than multi shot. Is this correct??

I have no problem spending a few bucks here to get something worth shooting.
I belive in getting the best that you can get the first timeout. Upgrades cost you more in the long run.

I really like the PCP style guns and would like to stay with that. I have tryed the side cranks and I thing after 60 or 70 shots my shooting ablity would be gone.

Don

I doubt you would be satisfied with anything less than a Steyr.
how well do you shoot? that would factor in to selection as well

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:26 pm 

CJN wrote:
Pumpmaster. You should have bought it for $316USD if it was a good one.
It was described as unmounted, a "store demo" if I remember correctly. When I came across it I wasn't really looking to buy another scope, so I didn't bother placing a bid :x :lol:
Voltar1 wrote:

It's always difficult to gauge what others consider "affordable" as it tends to be a very subjective criteria.
The great thing about FT is that everyone is encouraged to bring whatever they've got to shoot, and there is never any "gear snobbery" as every FT shooter is an airgun fan at heart.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:32 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
CJN wrote:
Pumpmaster. You should have bought it for $316USD if it was a good one.
It was described as unmounted, a "store demo" if I remember correctly. When I came across it I wasn't really looking to buy another scope, so I didn't bother placing a bid :x :lol:
Voltar1 wrote:

It's always difficult to gauge what others consider "affordable" as it tends to be a very subjective criteria.
The great thing about FT is that everyone is encouraged to bring whatever they've got to shoot, and there is never any "gear snobbery" as every FT shooter is an airgun fan at heart.

now on that one I call you.....
moneyed folk just seem to have a way of rubbing it in sometimes. So not all are that way but I'm betting the airgun sports are not immune from it.

one would have to attend a match and all this would sort itself out on the first meeting :)

Walter....