Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:59 pm 

Sorry I was reading the "G" as a "P". LP10.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:36 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
now on that one I call you.....
moneyed folk just seem to have a way of rubbing it in sometimes. So not all are that way but I'm betting the airgun sports are not immune from it.
Well yes, if you're determined to find negativity in something I suppose you'll find it if you look hard enough.
However, the "moneyed folk" at every FT match I've ever attended just happen to be the most friendly, most down-to-earth, most generous group of guys I think I've ever met.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:45 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:
moneyed folk just seem to have a way of rubbing it in sometimes. So not all are that way but I'm betting the airgun sports are not immune from it.
Well yes, if you're determined to find negativity in something I suppose you'll find it if you look hard enough.
However, the "moneyed folk" at every FT match I've ever attended just happen to be the most friendly, most down-to-earth, most generous group of guys I think I've ever met.

Pump, I am not looking for negativity as I don't have to. This issue comes with the territory. all hobbies, games or sports have the same clash. Just because you are part of the moneyed ones perhaps blinds you to noticing as peers tend to group with peers.
I bet the EV2 and multi dollar fellas don't hang and fawn over the QB shooters and I also bet you no matter how welcoming a moneyed shooter is the po'boys don't really feel fully welcome there.

It is a reality of living and ignoring or refusing to accept its existence does not eliminate it.

I have wealthy friends and so I know it can happen as you desribe but I have also been involved in dirt bikes, snowmobiles, Powder, Black powder and rimmy sihouette
There are those in every one of those ventures that are moneyed and those that are trying to just get by. The class distinction was there every time, not in a mean way but there nonetheless.

Walter...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:20 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:

Pump, I am not looking for negativity as I don't have to. This issue comes with the territory. all hobbies, games or sports have the same clash. Just because you are part of the moneyed ones perhaps blinds you to noticing as peers tend to group with peers.
I bet the EV2 and multi dollar fellas don't hang and fawn over the QB shooters and I also bet you no matter how welcoming a moneyed shooter is the po'boys don't really feel fully welcome there.

It is a reality of living and ignoring or refusing to accept its existence does not eliminate it.

I have wealthy friends and so I know it can happen as you desribe but I have also been involved in dirt bikes, snowmobiles, Powder, Black powder and rimmy sihouette
There are those in every one of those ventures that are moneyed and those that are trying to just get by. The class distinction was there every time, not in a mean way but there nonetheless.

Walter...

Seems weird to try and insist on focusing on negativity, don't really understand the point or what your trying to prove..........

As someone who has actually been to these events I would have to call you on what you are saying, because its not true......I was just as well accepted my first times out with my $150 Phantom/NcStar setup as I am with my S410...........There was not a crowd of people with Air Arms laughing at me because I had a $100 wal-mart gun, exactly the opposite they were all friendly and accepting.............

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:32 pm 

Actually I think you would be surprised, Ive seen guys shooting FT with Crosmans, QB's and Chinese spring guns. All treated with respect by the tops shooters. As a group we have worked to promote the sport in a way that includes all. We have created division rules for those with physical problems, and we also created a hunter division with the aim of allowing entry level guns to have a place to compete that is less daunting. As a matter of fact Pumpmaster shot his first match partnered with me. He was shooting a QB and competing in Hunter division. He quickly progressed in his shooting skill to the point where he felt it was worth his while to purchase higher end equipment and move up to full FT. Quite a few fellows started out with QB's in the hunter division and are quite content to continue shooting hunter. I was concerned about gun snobbery when I started shooting FT and was actually quite astonished to find a level of comraderie that had very little to do with what you were shooting. Its just plain fun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:36 pm 

Oops Walter it looks like were ganging up on you...not our intention. I wish you were close enough to come out and shoot with us I am sure you would be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:41 pm 

canshooter wrote:
Oops Walter it looks like were ganging up on you...not our intention. I wish you were close enough to come out and shoot with us I am sure you would be pleasantly surprised.

No troubles, I did not take it that way at all :)

I am gladdened to hear there is no snobbery. That was not really what I was trying to say. More trying to point out that the ones with the moneyed guns are not really the ones to see a problem or concern. People can be nice and accepting til the cows come home but all that means is they are well mannered.
No one of means has to be laughing or making fun for this difference to exist.

I do look forward to my joining the FT scene if and when I can.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:17 am 

Voltar1 wrote:
...multi dollar fellas don't hang and fawn over the QB shooters and I also bet you no matter how welcoming a moneyed shooter is the po'boys don't really feel fully welcome there...I have wealthy friends and so I know it can happen as you desribe...There are those in every one of those ventures that are moneyed and those that are trying to just get by. The class distinction was there every time, not in a mean way but there nonetheless...

Walter, your view on this matter would quickly evaporate within 10 minutes of attending a match! I'm positive! First of all, the dollar value associated to different shooters rigs rarely has anything to do with their disposable incomes. It has more to do with how fanatical the particular shooter is becoming with the sport. All the regulars started out with less expensive stuff and progressed to better and better equipment. Most still have and occasionally shoot their original rigs which is proof in itself that the interest is genuine when a newbie shows up with a 2289 that they've customized in some small way. My income hasn't changed since I first shot a match and I never would've considered laying out the cash for an EV2 back then. Now the price seems pretty reasonable for what you get and there may be one in my future? Has nothing to do with whether I'm a rich guy or not... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:02 am 

Voltar1 wrote:
Just because you are part of the moneyed ones perhaps blinds you to noticing as peers tend to group with peers.
I'm not sure how you know my personal financial situation, but your view of the world is growing tiresome. Stop thinking of your cup as half empty and you'll be a much happier guy.
BTW, Im leaving for the PFT match. Shooting a $180 pistol. Hope the Steyr guys don't throw stones and give me a wedgie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:06 am 

I ask a member of this forum what his Steyr cost he told me if i had to ask i could not afford it kind of set the tone for FT for me ...........

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:34 pm 

This is a little disturbing to me to read these negative views of FT and the folks that shoot it. Many read these posts and think if it is written then it must be true.

Please notice that the questions about FT ethics and the people involved in FT normally come from those who have not had, for whatever reason, the opportunity to participate in the sport. We have very few "money people" in the sport in our area and I would challenge anyone to point them out at one of our matches.

I shoot some high priced gear as do quite a few others who are anything but wealthy. I do not smoke or drink which my wife looks at as saving $6000-7000 a year. I spend only a fraction of that on FT in a year and do odd jobs for cash to supplement my FT budget. Many, like myself, will sell gear in order to buy gear.

Many of the machines that folk do their airgun work on, like lathes or milling machines, cost far more than my guns. Tooling for a lathe would certainly cost as much as a decent gun. We all choose where to spend our money, however much we have.

Please withhold judgment until you have had an opportunity to get directly involved. Most that come out to matches here have only one regret and that would be, why they took so long to come out to their first match. It really is a very different shooting discipline.

We have been promoting FT for well over ten years and it has been growing rapidly for the past four years. Now, with the possibility of a new FT club in BC and another in Ontario at Waterdown, we want to keep the momentum going. At least one FT club in each Province would be really awesome and with the numbers on this forum and other similar forums, that seems possible in the next four to five years.

Thanks for listening to my friends I have already met and to those I just haven't met yet.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:09 pm 

Ive got a challenge for you Walter...start an FT club in Alberta, and make sure that everyone feels welcome and has fun. Ive gratefully read many of your posts in the past and you seem to have a great deal of knowledge and enthusiasm for the the sport. What better way to put your enthusiasm to good use? There seems to be a lot of air rifle guys in Alberta and all they need is someone to lead the way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:30 pm 

canshooter wrote:
Ive got a challenge for you Walter...start an FT club in Alberta, and make sure that everyone feels welcome and has fun. Ive gratefully read many of your posts in the past and you seem to have a great deal of knowledge and enthusiasm for the the sport. What better way to put your enthusiasm to good use? There seems to be a lot of air rifle guys in Alberta and all they need is someone to lead the way.

Now there is a plan.... mmmmmm :)

I need to see my kids out of the house first most likely as the SWMBO would have a kitten if I get involved with a shooting sport before then.

It is indeed a great idea.

Alberta boys? listen up :) would this be possible?????

BTW how many shooters makes an event?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:34 pm 

GIT-R-DONE! 2 shooters is more fun than 1 :P