Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 am 

Well I just came up from the basement where I have been working on my first Field target.

Well it's done and it looks good and best part it works.
Once I figure out how to post photos I will post my first born.

I have many thoughts on how to make the next ones better.

Don :D :D 8) :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:04 am 

Congrats! Look forward to seeing some pics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:47 am 

fatbastard wrote:
Well I just came up from the basement where I have been working on my first Field target.

Well it's done and it looks good and best part it works.
Once I figure out how to post photos I will post my first born.

I have many thoughts on how to make the next ones better.

Don :D :D 8) :D :D :D

Congratulations on your first Field Target build.

I would like to give you a criteria when testing if it "works" well:
- Make sure the paddle falls with less than 5 foot pounds of energy (I usually use a 495 fps gun to test this).
- Make sure the target face stays up when hit by 18fpe. Test all over the face of the target. Some use a hammer to test, but of course this is not accurate. Actual pellet impact on the face is the only accurate way of testing I have seen.

If it does not meet these two criteria, some shooters will be hitting the hit zone and the target will not fall. Others with higher powered airguns will be hitting the target face and the target will fall (false fall) when it should not.

At our matches we guarantee our targets will fall with a 5fpe paddle hit and allow a maximum muzzle energy of 20fpe. The minimum target distance is 10 yards. Generally 20fpe at muzzle will be around 18fpe at 10 yards.

There are times the target does not perform the same on the course as it did at home when testing. Humidity, rain, rust, angle the target is sitting on, a lodged piece of lead in the mechanism, etc. We keep a test pistol at our matches to test any target that is protested. If it has failed, points are awarded. Some times we shooters are "sure" we had a clean hit on the hit zone, but once the target is tested, it proves to be fine. Likely we rimmed the hit zone, and only part of the pellet went into the zone, and it had not retained enough energy to push the paddle back.

A number of us have been there, and done that with Field Targets. I have six or seven brands of targets, and numerous targets from each brand. From lots of testing I have learned to not just "expect" that a sturdy build target, one that looks like it should last a lifetime, will perform well. Test, test, test. And after testing, some targets can simply not be used in competition because they do not meet the criteria.

Untested targets are unfair to the shooters. Points will be deducted when points were earned. Or points will be awarded when points were not earned. Of course we need to keep a good balance between competition and fun, understanding that like people, targets will not be perfect. But diligence in target testing is always appreciated.

I wish you much success with your targets. We have a couple of local target builders here who are producing super quality targets. They would tell you it takes lots of time to get it right. But when right, it is well worth it.