Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Buying in Canada? Don't.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:41 am
Posts: 44
Location: Ontario
Buying in Canada? Don't.

You already know about the ridiculous markups. You've already seen the huge difference between advertised US prices and Canadian prices. And this is at a time where there is close to parity in the currency.

How do you spell "gouging?" Repeat after me: G - O - U - G -

Canadians aren't stupid. You see this happening. But the way things are set up, you have no options. US dealers will generally not ship to Canadian addresses. They quote "Canadian import laws" and you can check with Pyramidair (as an example) for evidence of that nonsense. The fact that the law states that there are no restrictions on non-PAL imports, is apparently unknown to US suppliers, and if you quote the restrictions from the CBSA website, endorsed by the wunnerful RCMP, to them, like I did with Pyamidair, they simply reiterate their policy. The facts are irrelevant.

So, there is something else going on. Some comfortable mutual back-scratching. Don't you just HATE that? But, you know, that's Canada.

So Canadian airgun suppliers are home and dry. They can charge what they like, in the secure knowledge that it is really difficult to go around them.

Prove me wrong. Because I can absolutely prove that I am correct.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1279
Location: Longueuil
same is right for evrey thing in canada , will you stop eating , fueling your car buying clothes and a car just to prove your point

_________________
slavia 618
qb78 .177
crosman phantom .177 , Rex 2-6x28 (thank to lauchlin)this scope has died 02-02-2012
dasy 953 , ncstar 3-9x42 compact
crosman mk1
crosman quest 500x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 1509
Location: Guelph
lol, you don't understand how business works do you?

"OMG air rifle only costs 20$ in materials, WHY DOES IT COST ME 200$???" Because everybody along the line has to make money.

What is the point of this post anyways? I smell troll.

_________________
-Call me Nick


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:43 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member 2009
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:37 am
Posts: 3468
Location: Out There
You know- before posting such things- you really ought to get your facts straight.

#1) Anything crossing the border not made in a NAFTA country has duties applied- ranging from 5-10% depending on the product (this is as it applies to gun-related items).
#2) Go and actually exchange a dollar- just because the US-Canada exchange rate is 2%- getting the money actually exchanged through a financial institution will make it 5%. When the exchange rate is 7%, the amount actually paid is 10%. If a dealer gets lucky, hopefully when they place an order from a US-based company the exchange rate is 2% (5%), but it could very well be 7% (10%) today vs. tomorrow- this is all just luck of the draw.
#3) Most US-based companies have two pricelists- one for US Dealers, one for everyone else outside the US. They rationalize this by the extra paperwork they must do for things to leave the US, in the case of some items such as riflescopes- quite extensive paperwork and permits are required, as well as some enhanced profit to ship to what are generally much smaller markets for the product -i.e. no significant volume (I bet less airguns are sold in Canada than in any single lower-48 US state).
#4) Border crossing can be a hassle and frequently things get stopped at the border and put through the process- for an individual who must make some effort for their own items, maybe this is not so bad, but when a dealer has to do this on many shipments, the time absorbed adds up quickly.
#5) There is no "gouging" going on from any small dealer who has been around for more than 5 minutes that I am aware of. Not everyone is a "PyramydAir" or "Canadian Tire" both of whom purchase millions of dollars in airguns/accessories a year. It might be an argument that Canadian Tire is "gouging" with a 100% markup on an already hugely discounted price due to their purchase volume- but then if you like shopping in giant-sized superstores, the rent needs to be paid.

I, for one, find your comments insulting and irritating in their ignorance. You want to be able to get airguns and parts in Canada? Maybe you're going to have to pay a bit more. Maybe you could order from the US, if not for the problems you mentioned. But, then when you really need something in a hurry- or wonder why there are no jobs in Canada, you will already have the answer.

Also, just as a general 'FYI' that $20.00 (manufacturing cost) Chinese-made springer ends up costing $100.00 because the importer needs to pay duties, cover warranties (ain't no warranty from any Chinese manufacturers, sorry), and hold onto inventory (i.e. money tied up) until the product moves out the door- and they add all these costs in, then a markup to the retailer. Then the product gets to an actual dealer/retailer who isn't doing it for fun and excitement with no reimbursement- and who also needs to hold inventory so it is available for customers when the want it.

Maybe it's easier to collect a paycheck from the "boss" and be ignorant of the ways of the world and just assume everyone is out to gouge you- but you're wrong for assuming such. Some of us small dealers actually do an extensive amount of work related to the business, while holding down another full-time gig to pay the bills.




http://www.scopesandammo.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:44 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member 2009
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:37 am
Posts: 3468
Location: Out There
Waisted wrote:
Because I can absolutely prove that I am correct.


Why don't you do that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 1509
Location: Guelph
Careful Eric, you're feeding him.
Image

_________________
-Call me Nick


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:52 pm
Posts: 7089
Location: Vancouver Island BC
I hardly think he is a Troll.....But i disagree about buying in Canada what were you trying to buy at what price was it in the US


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 1509
Location: Guelph
lauchlin wrote:
I hardly think he is a Troll.....


really? you don't see it? I see a post, without a real question being posed, said in an angering way, what other motive could there be?

_________________
-Call me Nick


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:14 am
Posts: 99
The guy's been a member since 2008, with only 36 posts.

I'm with backyard blaster....I also smell a troll. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:52 pm
Posts: 7089
Location: Vancouver Island BC
backyard blaster wrote:
lauchlin wrote:
I hardly think he is a Troll.....


really? you don't see it? I see a post, without a real question being posed, said in an angering way, what other motive could there be?

I just see a opinion nothing more...........


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:52 pm
Posts: 7089
Location: Vancouver Island BC
Four_Eyes wrote:
The guy's been a member since 2008, with only 36 posts.

I'm with backyard blaster....I also smell a troll. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you have how many post and been a member :D :D :D :D :D for how long


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 1509
Location: Guelph
lauchlin wrote:
I just see a opinion nothing more...........


Fair enough.

Back to the topic,

I get angry too, but only when I go to places like Canadian tire, where theres 100$ slapped onto the price. At places like D+L or scopes and ammo where the markup is MAXIMUM 30-40$ over the Pyramyd price, then I really don't get upset. Even if I did believe that money was 100% pocketed profit, I am happy to support Canadian businesses.

_________________
-Call me Nick


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:47 pm
Posts: 1662
Location: Whitby, Ontario
It's a matter of economics. I know we "seem" to pay more. But that's the price we pay. I don't paying a little more. I buy local.

_________________
Doc

Aim Small. Miss Small.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:52 pm
Posts: 7089
Location: Vancouver Island BC
backyard blaster wrote:
lauchlin wrote:
I just see a opinion nothing more...........


Fair enough.

Back to the topic,

I get angry too, but only when I go to places like Canadian tire, where theres 100$ slapped onto the price. At places like D+L or scopes and ammo where the markup is MAXIMUM 30-40$ over the Pyramyd price, then I really don't get upset. Even if I did believe that money was 100% pocketed profit, I am happy to support Canadian businesses.

Have a look at one of the only places to buy airguns on the island http://www.fishingvictoria.com/ thats some mark up


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:14 pm 
Offline
Site sponsor and moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:53 pm
Posts: 6429
Location: Surrey B.C.
lauchlin wrote:
Four_Eyes wrote:
The guy's been a member since 2008, with only 36 posts.

I'm with backyard blaster....I also smell a troll. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you have how many post and been a member :D :D :D :D :D for how long


Oh, She's been around the block before. :lol: I can attest to that. :wink: Besides. She spells a lot better than you do. :P :mrgreen:

Depending what your buying, I am finding that lots of items are very close price ways between the states and us. I'm Looking at a new hunting pack. The Badlands 4500 or the Mystery ranch. Same price here as in the states. As our buck goes up so will our buying power. Sure sucks the big one for the exporters though. :(

_________________
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO