Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:20 pm 

lauchlin wrote:
Have a look at one of the only places to buy airguns on the island http://www.fishingvictoria.com/ thats some mark up

Ouch... I'm guessing you order your guns from elsewhere! lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:00 pm 

backyard blaster wrote:
lauchlin wrote:
Have a look at one of the only places to buy airguns on the island http://www.fishingvictoria.com/ thats some mark up

Ouch... I'm guessing you order your guns from elsewhere! lol.

Wow no kidding eh? 300 for a Diana Mod 24...guess you're paying for the Ferry fuel ahahaha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:07 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Interesting check out the price of the HW50s :shock:
http://www.straightshooters.com/Weihrau ... icing.html $379.95
http://www.dlairgun.com/Weihrauch-Air-Rifles.html $366.99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:35 am 

lauchlin wrote:
backyard blaster wrote:
lauchlin wrote:
I just see a opinion nothing more...........

Fair enough.

Back to the topic,

I get angry too, but only when I go to places like Canadian tire, where theres 100$ slapped onto the price. At places like D+L or scopes and ammo where the markup is MAXIMUM 30-40$ over the Pyramyd price, then I really don't get upset. Even if I did believe that money was 100% pocketed profit, I am happy to support Canadian businesses.

$550 for a S&W 686.....

http://www.fishingvictoria.com/cart/pro ... roduct=113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 pm 

AirGunEric wrote:
You know- before posting such things- you really ought to get your facts straight.

#1) Anything crossing the border not made in a NAFTA country has duties applied- ranging from 5-10% depending on the product (this is as it applies to gun-related items).
#2) Go and actually exchange a dollar- just because the US-Canada exchange rate is 2%- getting the money actually exchanged through a financial institution will make it 5%. When the exchange rate is 7%, the amount actually paid is 10%. If a dealer gets lucky, hopefully when they place an order from a US-based company the exchange rate is 2% (5%), but it could very well be 7% (10%) today vs. tomorrow- this is all just luck of the draw.
#3) Most US-based companies have two pricelists- one for US Dealers, one for everyone else outside the US. They rationalize this by the extra paperwork they must do for things to leave the US, in the case of some items such as riflescopes- quite extensive paperwork and permits are required, as well as some enhanced profit to ship to what are generally much smaller markets for the product -i.e. no significant volume (I bet less airguns are sold in Canada than in any single lower-48 US state).
#4) Border crossing can be a hassle and frequently things get stopped at the border and put through the process- for an individual who must make some effort for their own items, maybe this is not so bad, but when a dealer has to do this on many shipments, the time absorbed adds up quickly.
#5) There is no "gouging" going on from any small dealer who has been around for more than 5 minutes that I am aware of. Not everyone is a "PyramydAir" or "Canadian Tire" both of whom purchase millions of dollars in airguns/accessories a year. It might be an argument that Canadian Tire is "gouging" with a 100% markup on an already hugely discounted price due to their purchase volume- but then if you like shopping in giant-sized superstores, the rent needs to be paid.

I, for one, find your comments insulting and irritating in their ignorance. You want to be able to get airguns and parts in Canada? Maybe you're going to have to pay a bit more. Maybe you could order from the US, if not for the problems you mentioned. But, then when you really need something in a hurry- or wonder why there are no jobs in Canada, you will already have the answer.

Also, just as a general 'FYI' that $20.00 (manufacturing cost) Chinese-made springer ends up costing $100.00 because the importer needs to pay duties, cover warranties (ain't no warranty from any Chinese manufacturers, sorry), and hold onto inventory (i.e. money tied up) until the product moves out the door- and they add all these costs in, then a markup to the retailer. Then the product gets to an actual dealer/retailer who isn't doing it for fun and excitement with no reimbursement- and who also needs to hold inventory so it is available for customers when the want it.

Maybe it's easier to collect a paycheck from the "boss" and be ignorant of the ways of the world and just assume everyone is out to gouge you- but you're wrong for assuming such. Some of us small dealers actually do an extensive amount of work related to the business, while holding down another full-time gig to pay the bills.

http://www.scopesandammo.com

As the former owner of a small retail store I used to get these kinds of comments all the time (that is the comments made by the original poster). Here are a few points I would like to make, many echoing AirGunEric. The first factor that many people overlook is overhead costs, especially when comparing an internet based store to a store with an actual storefront.
Shipping costs, brokerage, exchange rate are all factors that will affect the small independant store more than the big guys. Another thing that I like to consider when looking into the price of an item is what kind of service I will get. Many times the cheapest guy is not necessarily the best when you have a problem that needs fixing. Finally, I can never understand why it is that some people treat the word "profit" as if it is some kind of swear word. Everybody needs to make money and if you feel you are being gouged you can simply look around for a better deal and let the market dictate what price is fair. A store that gouges people will not survive in the long term. There are many factors that come into play when a retailer is deciding what price to charge and it is not always as simple as a percentage mark-up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:57 am 

just in my opinion I'd rather support our own local canadian companies/economy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:37 pm 

another big problem for the local guys is shipping cost, in the states it is much cheaper to ship then in Canada.

volume is the key to pricing, the US has over 10 time the population then us, if you sell something for $25.00 on something that cost you to buy with shipping included $12.50, you have made $12.50, sounds good till you realize to get that price the guy had to buy 100 of them, so he shelled out 1250.00 so he could have that one to sell you, now the 99 still being held for sale needs to be stored somewhere, extra cost, money tied up in stock, more extra cost. now if he can sell all 100 in a month, great, made $1250 in one month, easy to cover cost, he is doing well, but if it take 5 years to sell all 100 of them, he is not doing so good, cost of storage is now through the roof, $1250 over 5 years less storage cost and less the interest paid on the money if borrowed and very few store owners do not borrow all they can for stock, worse yet is if the item becomes something no one wants any more he may be stuck with a whole lot of stock that he can not sell. dead loss.

in the states guns stuff is way easier to move, other countries buy from you, you have 300+ million gun lovers to sell to, moving gun stuff is easy in the states.

in Canada, less population, the population for the most part hates gun so not to many buyers per million population, not like the states where the number of gun buys per million population is tons higher. so moving stock in Canada is way harder and takes way longer and cost tons more then in the USA, so yes the USA can sell cheaper.

I also hate that tons of guys think that profit is some sort of bad word, one needs to get paid for the work he does, it takes time to answer question, pack and ship orders, and the Canadian government does not make it easy to do biz in Canada, they change the rules at will, they tax you at every turn, they make tons of paperwork that takes time to do. anyone thinking the store owner has it easy has to think again, and like what has been pointed out before, anyone gouging will go under quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:17 pm 

I like a deal and HATE buyers regret. I will shop around "'til the cows come home" so, when I finally decided which rifle I wanted I started the long and labourious task of finding the best deal (cheapest) on my chosen rifle (A A EV2) Airgun source have the gun at $2195 CDN + 5% tax. Being a English ex-pat I checked the prices with the miriad of UK dealers as I have a few buddies in England that would be happy to ship the rifle to me. The rifle is GBP 1195 inc VAT (20%) which sounded much better to me. Time to do the math. Exchange rate was $1.57 to the pound making the gun almost $1900. Add shipping and the pain of importing it into Canada and the savings shrink. Add to that any repair problems if it goes sideways under warranty AND the fact that i like to buy from Canadian retailers and I can't justify NOT buying it here

Just my view

Dave

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:34 am 

I have had some success with http://www.airgunsource.com. For example a Smith & Wesson 686 was a whopping $10 over the price from Pyramid Air USA. Their service is excellent and have a pretty good variety.
I also just ordered a 357 magnum from http://scopesandammo.com, or Fox sporting goods, Perth, Ont

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:39 am 

I fix cars for a living and have seen outrageous price differences on say a GM part in the US compared to in Canada. Both are GM dealers and one sells a fuel filter housing for a GM Duramax for $375.00 compared to over $1100.00 in Canada. How could there be so much difference in pricing? Its not just that item either. I purchase a lot of diesel parts in the US and can still sell them at a handsome profit if I purchase them in US. Also these parts are never in stock locally either, so its not like they are charging for stocking the item. I wont buy from Canada unless I have to. I am sick of the bullying from Canadian business. THis bullying even occurs in local government where they give themselves huge pay increases and them hammer us with big tax increases. My municipal taxes have gone up at least 10 times over inflation in the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

ATOMANT wrote:
I am sick of the bullying from Canadian business.

While I can't speak for the automotive industry, on many airguns, manufacturers have two prices- one for the "home" market and one for Canada- usually with a significant price differential. Add to this the duties put on by the federal government (3% to 7.5% on most parts/accessories) and some of the Canada-US price difference can be accounted for (at least in respect to sporting goods products). The automotive parts market, however, I cannot explain.

Mind you, I could also make similar complaints about the local garage collecting $90.00/hr in labour- the mechanic might see $30.00 of that and the shop gets the rest, plus a 30% markup on the parts used. If I take the same attitude of " 'ef Canadian mechanics and garages" pretty soon nobody will be eating.

The comment of "I purchase a lot of diesel parts in the US and can still sell them at a handsome profit if I purchase them in US" is somewhat funny- you are doing exactly what you are complaining others are apparently doing with that "handsome profit". This is the mindset the "made in China" corporations have- buy it for nothing, capture a "handsome profit" and watch all the jobs in manufacturing go to China while a bunch of administrators/salesman are the only people left working. You can't play it both ways.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:19 pm 

Quote:
the local garage collecting $90.00/hr in labour- the mechanic might see $30.00 of that and the shop gets the rest

Pricing in the automotive industry, for the most part has remained unchanged over decades.... The standard formula for bill out rate is generally one share for the mechanic, one for the owner, and one to look after overhead....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:21 pm 

Holy thread bump batman :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:34 pm 

lauchlin wrote:
backyard blaster wrote:
lauchlin wrote:
I just see a opinion nothing more...........

Fair enough.

Back to the topic,

I get angry too, but only when I go to places like Canadian tire, where theres 100$ slapped onto the price. At places like D+L or scopes and ammo where the markup is MAXIMUM 30-40$ over the Pyramyd price, then I really don't get upset. Even if I did believe that money was 100% pocketed profit, I am happy to support Canadian businesses.

Holy **** thats expensive 199.99 for a ppk when i paid 85 from marvin jeez rip off.

WINCHESTER 500X
PPK/S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:31 pm 

Speaking of Crappy Tire markups, here's a perfect example.. was shopping for a Benjamin NP rifle, went as far as placing a "catalog order" with Canadian Tire because they have this policy of not selling air guns at all stores, only selected ones..
Lucky me, I get a call from CT after few days saying "sorry, we can't fulfill the order, no stock"... I say lucky me, because then I found Eric's webstore :) .. ordered it + Crosman 357 pistol and still paid less than I would at CT.. even after shipping! Thanks, Eric :)

Canadian Tire:

Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston Air Rifle
Product #75-5030-0
Reg. $399.99

scopesandammo:

Benjamin Sheridan Trail NP All Weather .22cal/495fps
[BS-BT5M22SNP]
$269.99

=====
Cheers