Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:20 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

stealthb wrote:
Speaking of Crappy Tire markups, here's a perfect example.. was shopping for a Benjamin NP rifle, went as far as placing a "catalog order" with Canadian Tire because they have this policy of not selling air guns at all stores, only selected ones..
Lucky me, I get a call from CT after few days saying "sorry, we can't fulfill the order, no stock"... I say lucky me, because then I found Eric's webstore :) .. ordered it + Crosman 357 pistol and still paid less than I would at CT.. even after shipping! Thanks, Eric :)

Canadian Tire:

Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston Air Rifle
Product #75-5030-0
Reg. $399.99

scopesandammo:

Benjamin Sheridan Trail NP All Weather .22cal/495fps
[BS-BT5M22SNP]
$269.99

=====
Cheers

Yup! From Eric you get Excellent service and the same product for far less money. 8) But no CT money with it. :cry: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:50 pm 

Don't blame the little guy when it comes to price gouging in Canada. It is corporate greed from big business and the Government getting in bed together. The Government of Canada allows big business to rape the consumer because the more they charge the more tax we have to pay. If you don't agree please explain the cost of gasoline in this country. That is only one of many charades going on today. If they tried that in the States they would have a revolt on their hands. In Canada we are just to complacent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:36 am 

Reading over this thread I am glad our community has a seeming consensus that we do need to continue supporting our canadian retailers. I know when I was into Airsoft as a hobby it was incredibly hard to find a lot of different uncommon items. If we do not keep our Canadian retailers strong we could become more and more limited in where we can purchase our airguns from.

Imagine if our only choice for airguns was Canadian Tire? Bad BB pistol repeaters for $200 (when I bought an extra BB pistol repeater from airgunsource for only about $60). Crazy overpriced spring rifles for $300 (when the same models can be found from D&L or scopes and ammo at hundreds less!).

You gotta support the Canadian Retailers!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:00 am 

Well, not such a great place or topic to make my first post, but I'll throw more than my two cents in here.

The orginal poster is right. Air-Gun eric? Not so much.

I've been involved in purchasing some things from the States and am furious with the outright deceit going on with the pricing and the setups.

Books. Engine Code Scanners. Cameras. Air guns. Ammunition. Dewalt tools. And on and on.

All are available for about 40% cheaper than in Canada. All CANNOT and WILL NOT be shipped to Canada. Why?

Well, the customer support gal from Amazon.com, who assured me that it was her job to get answers, called me back after about 10 days, sounding totally dejected that she "... had no good answers for me..."

"I'm getting stonewalled and the run-around when I inquired about why they company would ship to Canada. And nobody in Amazon would give me a answer why your books are more expensive up in Canada,"

And if the products are for sale on Amazon.ca, they are MUCH more expensive. Go search Canon cameras and see for yourself. Try to buy one on Amazon.com. You get the wah-wah... Wah-wah-wah-wah... Wah! response.

And they just won't ship. BestBuy.com, Walmart.com, won't ship the good stuff either.

Calbellos won't ship ammunition that costs 1/2 the price down there.

And the response of shipping/border issues blah-blah-blah? BS! Some of the stuff comes across the border so fast you can't believe it! We manage to ship our fuel down there without any "hassles" at the border, eh?

This is an institutionaled scam on we Canucks. And ANYONE who sounds off like they are defending it, or explaining beyond what it is, well, something's up.

And I've done my homework.

No? Let me quote the NAFTA/Free Trade Act from the Foreign Affairs sitehttp://www.international.gc.ca/trad ... index.aspx

Artricle 409 Other Export Measures

b) the Party does not impose a higher price for exports of a good to the other Party than the price charged for such good when consumed domestically, by means of any measure such as licences, fees, taxation and minimum price requirements. The foregoing provision does not apply to a higher price which may result from a measure taken pursuant to subparagraph (a) that only restricts the volume of exports; and...

So, believe what you want, but it is what it is!

SweetDoug

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:38 am 

Seems like Canadians have been taking it up the wazoo for years with some of the things we buy. Every time I buy gas at the pumps this is exactly what I think. I don't blame the little business guy he is scratching like the rest of us to survive. I think big business is behind all this price gouging that is going on here. I wish I was rich so I wouldn't have to think about this litter any more lol..

George.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:44 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

SweetDoug wrote:
The orginal poster is right. Air-Gun eric? Not so much.

You can believe whatever "theory" you want. The discussion is airguns here- not engine scanners or cameras or whatever- airguns. I'm also quite impressed that your 10 minutes of research somehow "proves" your point when compared to the experience and expertise of people who have been in a specific business for years.

Instead of people complaining and whining- go "be the expert" and import your own airguns or ammunition or whatever- just don't compare generic commodity items like cameras to completely different products like airguns and ammunition- which are either regulated or partially regulated by both the US and Canadian governments (exports from the US, and imports/items within Canada).

You can quote Free Trade wording all you like, but unless you are going to take a US manufacturer to the trade commission and attempt to deal with them afterwards- you are speaking out of your buttock. You have apparently come into this discussion with a mindset and no facts on how the business is conducted from the US-side of the border is going to sway your opinion- posting meaningless and misleading comparisons (airguns to cameras) serves nothing. Go get educated on the specifics of one product/line of products then talk about them- discussing everything in generic terms is not applicable in this case, period.

You don't think airgun companies in the US wouldn't love to sell to Canada (Pyramyd, etc.)? Absolutely they would- but the amount of regulation/required permits to do so is expensive and cumbersome- meaning that by the time that $49.95 item they sell in the US gets here- it will be $79.95 in order for them to be able to stay in business- and this still doesn't account for some heavily regulated items like optics for which a specific permit for a specific buyer is required- at $300.00 a license.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:15 pm 

Guys come on, if Eric and other retailers could sell several thousand air rifles per year here each then the prices would be less. Go and complain to the trade minister and let our retail friends make a living.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:57 pm 

Business sucks sometimes! Imports and exports suck more!! Get government invovled and that makes more government jobs. That sucks too!!! So which part isn't making sence??? Try buying a car at half the price in the USA and bring it back and see what it really costs. Not to mention that you don't have warranty!! :axe: I say sell Canada to the states for 250 million. LOL Give each of us 1 million and throw out free trade :butthead: cause the yanks control that anyway. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!
It goes on and on. Good god. :drinkers: HEHE! Poor, poor me, pour me another one. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:46 pm 

nobull60 wrote:
I say sell Canada to the states for 250 million. LOL Give each of us 1 million

Last time I checked there was more than 250 of us all. I think (hope) you meant 250 billion or 250 trillion. Still wouldn't be enough. Despite some of the bull we put up with I think Canada is the best country to live in.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:09 pm 

I am just wondering why you think Canada is the best country to live in. Do you have any specific reasons for thinking this. Thanks.

George.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:24 pm 

magnumair wrote:
I am just wondering why you think Canada is the best country to live in. Do you have any specific reasons for thinking this. Thanks.

George.

Canada isn't the best country, but i came from another country, which has some good things, and cheaper things, but here we live more secure, and peaceful, in there u can't even trust the police, my friend and I got scared by a drunk police guy with a shot gun, in there police carry bigger guns than glocks, i got robbed by 3 guys with a gun when i was like 14y, for a $40 pesos = less than $3dollars worth silver chain, silver is cheaper there, i know this is off topic but im just responding about your post, Canada is safer than usa, and i always choose to be safer than getting cheaper stuff.

on custom parts Eric is the best, and on airguns specialty shooting sports out doors are really good selling airguns,co2, bbs and pellets.

crosman 2240 (modded to target pistol)
crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:51 am 

Whoah...I don`t live in Canada, but surely things can`t be that bad, that you`d want to sell yourselves to the United states!?!

I Live in Norway, and airguns here naturally cost a bit more than at pyramyd air. We also pay a bit more tax than in the USA, but i think that`s a small tradeoff for the benefits i get. For me, a good healthcare/welfare system available to everyone is more important than saving some bucks on an airrifle, or paying less tax.
Some people just want everything to be cheap, cheaper, and cheapest without giving the bigger picture much of a thought it seems..
A lot of businesses are outsourcing their production to low cost countries, in order to sell products cheaper, and thus satisfy customers screaming for cheaper items. But does this generate jobs locally?

"Get government invovled and that makes more government jobs. That sucks too!!!"
Jobs, whether in governmental sector or corporate or elsewhere, surely is still a job? And we all want jobs(most of us anyway)? A lowest possible unemployment rate is actually beneficial, isn`t it?

Besides, if one really hates living in a society where there are too many government jobs available for application, one could always move to for example Greece..

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:21 am 

LeKatilo wrote:
Whoah...I don`t live in Canada, but surely things can`t be that bad, that you`d want to sell yourselves to the United states!?!

I Live in Norway, and airguns here naturally cost a bit more than at pyramyd air. We also pay a bit more tax than in the USA, but i think that`s a small tradeoff for the benefits i get. For me, a good healthcare/welfare system available to everyone is more important than saving some bucks on an airrifle, or paying less tax.
Some people just want everything to be cheap, cheaper, and cheapest without giving the bigger picture much of a thought it seems..

Thats just it...Canada has many good thing going for it, lets not attack Canada as a country because our airguns cost $20 more than the ones at Pyramid Air :roll:

Nobody is stopping anybody from moving to the US to reap the sale prices at PA, but you still live here...I'll keep paying the mark-up in opposition to wondering whether or not I will be shot when I go buy a pack of smokes at the variety store :roll: :lol:

Shop around, there are good deals, just need to to use your eyes and brain to find them... :drinkers:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:44 am 

magnumair wrote:

George.

Best countries to live in according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) based on its Better Life Index (measures like housing, income, education and safety etc.) :

1. Australia
2. Canada
3. Sweden
4. New Zealand
5. Norway
6. Denmark
7. United States
8. Switzerland
9. Finland
10. Nertherlands

So there.