Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:54 am 

I have just ordered a HW97KT from D&L it is .22cal @ <500fps. The scope is a Leapers 3-12x44 mil dot reticle and ajustable down to 10yds. Would I be able to use this for HFT?
Could someone give me advice on getting started in HFT?
Shoes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:17 am 

You can use basically anything to get started, but the more you shoot you'll find certain equipment is much better suited for shooting HFT. The rifle and scope you have ordered aren't necessarily ideal, but they will definitely get you out there knocking targets down and having a blast! I would recommend getting your PAL (if you don't already have it) which will allow you to up the power on your rifle to a more suitable level for the longer targets.
Come out to a match and you'll have a bunch of people more than happy to show you how everything works. In preparation, get your scope zero'd on the rifle, and start practicing range finding by eye. You'll be shooting at killzones ranging from 10 to 55 yards.
Click on the links within the Field Target section for general information on rules etc.
Feel free to post any more questions, and we hope to see you out at a match soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:26 pm 

I'm not sure how I missed your first post on this subject myself OR why more of the experienced FT shooters haven't chimed in to encourage new shooters who want to come out & at least TRY a day out at a HFT match with an <500 airgun to do so. The recent addition of the Hunter division in Canadian matches totally allows for this opportunity to challenge yourself with an airgun that you are comfortable with & have a good day out doing something that you obviously enjoy.
I just shot the match on June 19th. with a first-timer who used a QB78 Deluxe, in CO2 format, <500 Stock model, & came away with a perfectly decent score for a first time player. If you check the recently posted results from that match, he got over 60 outta 120 points with faceplate hits being ONE point & drop-downs of the target being 2 points, they all add up in HUNTER div. We both shot adult hunter & my name is Rob, aka Powderkeg (woohoo, another bronze,) & his name was Michael aka myob on this forum.

I really think he shot well & even better, he came out for a day of shooting & got that first-hand kind of info out of the experience that is ONLY possible by attending.

I hope this encourages people to come out & SHOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!!!!!

:drinkers: Cheers; (as I QUAFF my BREW,) - Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:45 pm 

You certainly have a rig that you could do just fine with. The HW97 is a great rifle. The scope would be fine as well. Getting the aim points for all distances from 10 to 55 yards will be crucial. Programs like Chairgun can help you with that or you can just go out and shoot to find the aim points. I usually make a chart as a starting point and then go out and shoot to confirm it. At sub 500fps, your zero will probably be in the 17 to 20 yard area. Once you shoot and zero your gun, then try the other aim points. As was said earlier, the better you are at distance estimation the better chance you will have to hit and knock down targets.

As Rob suggested, coming to a match is the very best way to learn. You can check your scope info on the sight in range before the match starts and you can ask questions. You would be put in a squad with and experienced shooter for the first match, just like Rob helped Michael out last Saturday. The first few matches will be great learning experiences and you will find that your scores can rise fairly quickly as you learn.

Rob, this was only posted today, we "experienced FT shooters" have some busy lives, but we always do get round to promoting FT and airgun sports in general.

Later.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:53 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Don't worry Rob, I sent him a PM this morning giving him the 'low down' as I'm a HW97 owner too :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 pm 

Well Thanks for the welcome and encouragment guys. I was hoping to have the rifle before the match in July but that wouldn't give me much chance to get familiar with the new hardware. Never had an air rifle with a scope before so maybe I could go and hang out and pickup tips and get help sighting the gun in, that might be the order of the day for me? Oh and Powderkeg I watched the Elmer Fudd video, was that you in the orange Fudd hat? Anyway the film was what got me interested in getting involved. Everything looked like too much fun and at a pace which suits me fine. Just curious, If I shoot a JSB 15.9 with my zero at 33ft would that put me about -6.5" at 50yd?

Shoes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:02 pm 

15.9 at what velocity? What is the height of the the center of the scope above the center of the barrel? Two fairly important factors in creating a scope chart.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:56 pm 

gillian started last year with a stock qb78 and a 3x9 scope and look how well she did. i think just get a gun and go out and shoot a match. tons of fun!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:19 pm 

Hey Tuf Shoes, I'm glad that my vid was instrumental in convincing you that there is great fun to be had at this FT thing we do, and YES that is me in the loud orange Fudd-Hat ( which I think should be made mandatory wear for future FUDD matches BTW.) 8)
If I ever find a more FUDD like hunting cap I will wear it, but meantime I will proudly sport my souvenir version in Hunter Orange signed by virtually everyone that attended the Second Annual Elmer Fudd Hunter match. :)

On another note, I cannot recall WHY or HOW the date of the initial post seemed older, but as you can see, this forum is a great source of info & guys like Mac(Tim) et al will provide good advice & even correct a fella on occasion. :o :wink:

I've only been shooting FT for a few years & have often said it's more fun than a round of golf, and each year i have shot I have gotten more satisfaction & enjoyment out of it's unique challenges. For anybody that is considering it - go for it ! The matches are well organized & make for a nice day out shooting airguns.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:01 am 

There are a lot of good shooters on here who will give you good advice. I have shot HFT for around 4 years now, it's a wee bit different over here but if you want to see a few video's that I've done look you Photoguy2910 on youtube and there are a few.

As has been said, go along to one of the shoots and just have some fun

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix/

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix08