Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:29 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Bob is correct on all counts- and he has the "time" in on modifying this platform to be an expert.

But to clarify- the 2250 has a 14" barrel, not an 18"- the only 22xx guns that have an 18" barrel are the "Custom Shop" units. Thus, a 2240 to 2250 conversion is very likely to be in that 550fps range- rendering it a "firearm". The only way, as Bob mentioned, to guarantee you stay below 500fps is by getting the chrony out and reducing the power until you get to where you want- the easiest method being to cut coils off the hammer spring.

For reference:

2240, listed at 460fps (7" barrel)
2250, listed at 550fps (14" barrel)
2260, listed at 600fps (24" barrel)

The 2250XE picture that Crosman posts makes the gun look like the barrel is longer than 14", but it isn't.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:02 pm 

Ok, I'm still in love with the 2250XT but I know I can't get it, and I don't like the idea of pump action (2289g) so I really think I want to get the 2240 and convert it into a rifle.

So, what will the 2250 conversion kit that MAUSER mentioned (which I presume is this Seal kit http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php?products_id=348) do to the 2240? Will this seal kit make it more powerful or does adding a longer barrel increase it's power?

I want to convert the 2240 to a rifle and increase it's power to just under 500 fps without making it harder to increase it past 500 when I get my PAL. So cutting the coils on the hammer spring doesn't sound so great unless I can get a spare spring for when I get my PAL.

If the 2240 is converted to a rifle that shoots faster than 500 fps I only need a PAL and not an RPAL right? I do NOT want to have to have a license for a pistol.

I cannot find any barrels on Eric's ScopesAndAmmo site, can anyone help with that? Can I increase the FPS by just getting a longer barrel, without the Seal kit? What size of barrel should I get?

Can someone suggest a good scope for this gun? Would it be worthwhile to get a 3-9X variable zoom scope?

How do you give the 2240 a grip for the left hand to hold it like a rifle?

Does anyone have an estimate final weight of the gun I want to build?

Here are the parts I am currently looking to get, any further suggestions?
2240 Pistol ($60): http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php?cPath=25_39&products_id=102
Breach kit ($42): http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php?cPath=38_48&products_id=196
Shoulder stock ($15): http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php?cPath=38_48&products_id=165
Seal kit (maybe) ($19): http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php?cPath=38_26_57&products_id=348
3-9X40 scope ($47): http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php?cPath=21_51&products_id=244
scope rings ($12): http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=300
barrel ???
left hand grip ???

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:48 pm 

Quote:
If the 2240 is converted to a rifle that shoots faster than 500 fps I only need a PAL and not an RPAL right?

Incorrect.... As far as the RCMP (and the law) is concerned.... once a pistol, always a pistol.... To make it a rifle you would have to start with a 2260 tube....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:03 pm 

Quote:
once a pistol, always a pistol....

Oh, ok. Glad I asked. It's ok since I plan on keeping it under 500 fps for now.

The 2260 has a 24" tube, right. I think I want it to be more of a carbine so I'd rather something more like a 14" tube. Are there other tubes that will fit on the 2240?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:38 pm 

Thanks a million both Eric and Bob.

I am going to have to get a new 2240 just so I can use my old one for autopsy and anatomy study. I mean the diagrams and the instruction tips are all great, but until you actually break the thing down and see how it works and goes together you really don't have a clue.

And of course before anything else I have to get a CHRONY.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:56 pm 

The tube on a 2260 is just slightly shorter than a 14.6" barrel (from a 2289).... so it makes a VERY nice setup for a carbine....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!