Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Heavy pellets for WFTF?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:42 pm 

I attempted to do some practicing today for the weekend, only to find a light breeze blowing my pellets around like crazy. I have been using JSB Exacts at 8.4gr.
Over an inch off at 50 yards shocked me considering how light the breeze was. In my seated position I wouldn't have even considered doping for wind as the weeds around my target were barely moving.
Anyways, I started wondering about going to heavier pellets (likely JSB Exact Heavies) in my EV2? Anybody shooting under 12ftlbs using heavy pellets?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:37 pm 

Yes. I just got my S400-SL all set up with the heavies ( weighed at 10.2gr.), averaging 720 fps with a very tight spead of 8 fps for 60 shot. Now all I have to do is try the scope chart at the various distances to confirm the settings. I tried both the 8.4 Exacts and the Express JSBs with less that stellar results. They were not terrible, but this gun just likes the heavies.

I used the heavies in the first match of the season and they performed well, much better than I did. After putting the wrong scope height and scope click value in the program to create the chart resulting in being five to six clicks out at 55 yards, it took me about four lanes to figure this out and compensate. After that, they all went where they were aimed. Not that my aim always put them in the kill zone.

Can't hurt to try.

Practicing, isn't that almost like cheating. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:32 am 

Mac wrote:
Practicing, isn't that almost like cheating. :wink:
:lol: Not only that...I may start warming up before matches too :shock: :lol:
Glad to hear you've had success with the heavies at 12ftlb, I'm gonna have to give them a try. Watching the lighter pellets get blown off target even at 35 yards opened my eyes to the challenges of shooting at such low power....definitely explains my terrible performance at 40+yards!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:34 am 

You sound so surprised that your pellet was changing poi... Thought you would have known that by now after shooting FT.. any kind of wind will affect the poi of an airgun especially at 50 yards. Also pockets of warm air can throw your pellet off course.. These are airguns you're playing with, they get affected way more by this than a firearm would.. heavier pellets would obviously be better in wind..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:57 pm 

I was surprised at how much the pellets were being affected by what I could barely even refer to as a "breeze".
I do understand these are just airguns I'm playing with, and that wind will affect POI...
I was looking for input from shooters experienced with heavy pellets at sub 12ftlbs. Thought I made that clear.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 pm 

I know you were talking about sub 12ft/lb guns.. So was I... A 12ft/lb gun will be more affected at 50yards than a 25+ ft/lb rifle but still the magnums are affected as well.. Heavier pellets do fine but they still need some velocity to keep on track.. A slower heavier pellet isn't always more stable than a fast lighter projectile..
A slight breeze can affect your POI at close ranges too... A slight breeze can shift your POI when shooting 10m pistol and 10meters is not far at all..
I figured this out when I was a kid trying to shoot sparrows and blackbirds with my old Slavia620 that only did maybe 430fps with a regular crosman pellet.. You learn how much to aim right or left when the wind comes and your targets are out 25+ yards..

Last edited by rvd on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:30 pm 

I was out today to do some weed trimming at the club and took a few minutes to confirm my scope numbers.

Shooting the heavy pellets at approximately 720fps resulted in some pretty significant wind drift. The wind was very light and I was getting anywhere from .75" to 1.5" at 55 yards. At 35, I was still holding over a mil dot at least. From about 25 yards and in, I just held dead on.

Many say that the heavy pellets hold in the wind better, but I think they are referring to pellets shot at the same velocity. I was shooting the Express 7.9 pellets at about 820 and the wind results were almost the same. My gun is just more accurate with the 10.2 JSBH going at 720fps. With the wind having a longer time to work on the slower pellet, I feel the wind hold off will be pretty well the same for me.

There have been a couple of guys that have done tests and their results indicated that the lighter 7.9 JSB held in the wind a little better than the 8.4 JSBs. They assumed it was the combination of higher speed a shorter pellets that offers less area for the crosswind to act on.

For me, the heavies group, so I use them. Success in the WFTF class depends a great deal on your ability to dope the wind effectively. I know that I have held over six inches, completely off the target, on some long targets to hit the kill zone. As experience increases your guesses get better.

The up side is that the winds this weekend are supposed to be quite light.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:16 pm 

Mac wrote:
Shooting the heavy pellets at approximately 720fps resulted in some pretty significant wind drift. The wind was very light and I was getting anywhere from .75" to 1.5" at 55 yards. At 35, I was still holding over a mil dot at least. From about 25 yards and in, I just held dead on.
Thanks for posting your results Tim, this is exactly what I was experiencing yesterday with the 8.4s as well. I have a LOT to learn about wind doping to have a chance in this division!