Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Interested in FT...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:43 pm 

Hi Everyone,
After reading alot of the posts in this sectcion, I am starting to think I should try FT. Now for those who don't know I'm 14, and I thought that would completely block me from entering. But after seeing that Gillian, who looks to be about my age was competing and doing very well, I figured I would check it out.

So to all you Field Target experts out there, what are the first steps I should take? Niether of my parents are into air guns, but they would be happy to support my endever. Also, what gun would be most suitable? I already have an un-modified QB78 D, how would that work?

All suggestions appreciated,

Post subject: Re: Interested in FT...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:52 pm 

The QB78 is what Gillian uses, so I guess that makes it a decent choice. She has a scope that can be set at 16X which is very helpful. There are a lot of decent 4-16 scopes out there that are not real expensive. The 16 power is not necessary, as some use 3-9 or 3-12 scopes and do fairly well.

I am not sure if Braden has turned 11 years old yet, but he can shoot big time.

One thing that new shooters seem to have some difficulty with is setting up the aim points for all distances from 10 to 55 yards. A mil dot scope makes that task easier. You chose a zero distance of maybe 15 yards and set your scope to hit dead on at that distance. You then shoot all the other distances at maybe every 5 yards from 10 to 55 yards. You can draw up a chart that shows you where to hold on the dots for each distance. During the match, you estimate the distance and then hold on the appropriate spot on the mil dots and take your shot. Like everything else you refine your settings as you gain experience.

Getting out to a match and experiencing it is the single most important factor in my experience.

Have fun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:43 pm 

Thanks Mac,
I still havn't bought a scope for it yet, but I think I have decided on this one http://www.archerairguns.com/Leapers-SC ... 50aofs.htm.
You are also right, I think my first step should be to go to a match. Are there any upcoming matches in Ontario that I should conmsider?
Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:19 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Next match is in Port Colborne Saturday August 14th 2010.. You can find the PCFTC schedule here.. http://caftc.fieldtargetcentral.com/ind ... ,74.0.html
Here's the Google map to the Port Colborne Field Target Club.... http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl ... 927.75%20W

I started with a QB and a Leaper scope combo 3 years ago... Still use this rig today...

Looking forward to meeting you at a match in the near future...

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:34 pm 

Awwwww darn.... I can't make it for the 14th. I leave for a week of holidays the day before. :( I will mark my calender for September 11th, but I am still not sure if I am available then. It's good to hear you used the QB leapers combo aswell. I better start practicing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:47 pm 

You're allowed a thumbhole stock for FT shooting, right? Also what category could I (14) shoot in with a QB78/leapers scope combo?
I should have asked in my previous posts.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:06 pm 

Canadian Plinker wrote:
You're allowed a thumbhole stock for FT shooting, right? Also what category could I (14) shoot in with a QB78/leapers scope combo?
I should have asked in my previous posts.
Thanks

The thumbhole stock is fine and you would be shooting in our Hunter Class, Junior Division. If we have at least two junior shooters, we will have a medal for first place. Three shooters, two medals and four shooters, three medals. After the three medals, you need eight shooters for four medals, 10 for five medals, ....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:14 pm 

Ok perfect thanks. Just wanted to clear that up because I've got one on the way from Microfit. I also thought I might have been up against some adults... It should be fun to finally shoot with some people near my age. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:19 pm 

gillian uses a qb78 thats moded and a tasco 6 - 28 power scope

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 pm 

godsforlife wrote:

Yeah, actually until I saw that post with a picture of Gillian in the FT section I thought it was only for adults. Now I am really wanting to try FT, I can't make it to the Aug. 14 match, though. What mods does she have done to hers? I am going to convert mine to HPA soon, and I have a Microfit stock coming any day now! Also a Leapers scope on the way. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:29 pm 

if you're going to run your QB on hpa do yourself a favour and get an aftermarket valve stem.. We make those for every qb we tune, they last forever unlike the stock qb stem which will eventually give up on you especially with higher pressures of hpa.. You can just get that stem from Sniper, im sure he still sells them..
Power wise, if you run the rifle off HPA at 1200psi you won't need any powermods, it will have enough power for FT..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:34 pm 

rvd wrote:
if you're going to run your QB on hpa do yourself a favour and get an aftermarket valve stem.. We make those for every qb we tune, they last forever unlike the stock qb stem which will eventually give up on you especially with higher pressures of hpa.. You can just get that stem from Sniper, im sure he still sells them..
Power wise, if you run the rifle off HPA at 1200psi you won't need any powermods, it will have enough power for FT..

I am planning to get this kit from Eric http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... cts_id=361
Would I still need the valve?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:36 pm 

Canadian Plinker wrote:
godsforlife wrote:

Yeah, actually until I saw that post with a picture of Gillian in the FT section I thought it was only for adults. Now I am really wanting to try FT, I can't make it to the Aug. 14 match, though. What mods does she have done to hers? I am going to convert mine to HPA soon, and I have a Microfit stock coming any day now! Also a Leapers scope on the way. :D

It will be fun gto have another girl my age to shoot with :) hopefully you can make it to the match in september :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:39 pm 

that kit has nothing to do with the valve stem.. It's a great idea that you're getting that kit, it's worth it if you ever want to take your QB to extreme power levels, the tube will allow you to run pressures up to 3000.. The stem is a seperate item you'll have to piece together..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:40 pm 

gillie12345 wrote:
Canadian Plinker wrote:
godsforlife wrote:

It will be fun gto have another girl my age to shoot with :) hopefully you can make it to the match in september :)

Actually I'm a guy :roll: :D :D , but it will definitely be fun to shoot with other people my age. Looking forward to learning lots. What mods have you done to your QB?