Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:30 am 

I want to reduce noise so I can shoot after hours at home.

Does anyone know where to get ballistic putty or an equivalent ?

Thanks
james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:42 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Duct seal won't reduce noise but is what you use in a pel trap to stop pellets if this is what your speaking of it is available at home depot in the electical section about 2.50 a Lb. Use the search funtion for (Duct Seal)

Last edited by scruffie on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:43 am 

Get "Duct Seal".

You can find it in the Electrical supplies at Home Depot, for $2.49/1lb block (other places may have it cheapr). You'll need 5 to 10 blocks depending on the size of trap you want to make, and the power of the gun.

This stuff works really well, and will stop most sub-500fps pellets at the surface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:45 am 

Duct seal is the way to go for sure and much cheaper too. It can be found in the electrical department of most larger hardware stores near the conduits and breaker boces. If you find it in the store...ask an associate...sometimes it's a bit hidden away.

And, duct seal is much quiet than using a regular pellet trap or a piece of wood...also it reduces the chances of riccochet and captures the pellets nicely...easier clean-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:45 am 

I find the duct seal is actually pretty quiet. Just don't use a loud gun or it kinda defeats to purpose :D
It's definately far better than shooting at a steel pellet trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:58 am 

I just use a scrunched up bath towel inside my trap! Works great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:08 am 
Supporting Member 2009

Rona's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:39 pm 

i got a nerf football from the dollar store the other day. I can shoot into it with my slavia 631 at all hours of the night. it barely makes a sound. I use wadcutters, pointed will go right through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:25 am 

i use a cardboard box with pieces of old carpet cut to fit the back of the box 3 layers of that, and 3 layers of a old cotton bath towl in front

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:50 pm 

For my silent pellet trap i use plomber putter. It cost me about 2.50$ can at home depot to get some good results.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:58 pm 

How thick should this duct seal be for sub 500fps? It would be cool if you could tell me in "bricks" as from Home Depot. I bought 10. It doesn't look like enough thickness compared to what I think I've seen in pics, but how would I know?

I bought a 10x10 steel electrical box to use as my container, will use the lid as a mounting plate at the back...no chance pellets will go through. This is kind of an expensive way to do it, but I couldn't think of what to put the putty in and saw that. Ten bricks won't even fill this box 2 layers thick.

Thanks. If this is an overly dumb/expensive way to do it I can take the stuff back.

My current trap is a milk crate (free!...whoops) with a 12" wide by 20' long strip of carpet (free!) stuffed in it. It stops pellets no prob, but the center is getting shot out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:59 pm 

I find that duct seal will stop sub-500fps (.177 or .22) right at the surface so that the back of the skirts are just flush with the surface of the duct seal. You really don't need more than an inch thick, but if you keep hitting the same spot over and over (which would be ideal :wink: ), the pellets will push themselves in farther.

In my trap I have 7 or 8 bricks "stacked" on top of each other, the depth is about 2". I would say just use what you have already and if you notice the pellets starting to reach the back of the trap, then add some more.

I tried that plumber's putty before when I couldn't find any duct seal. I found that the pellets penetrated way to deep for it to be practical. I thought that it might be a good compound for comparing pellet penetration and expansion though. It's similar to modeling clay/plastecine in consistency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:20 pm 

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that plumber's putty, was around the same price. It was lighter colored and came in tubs, the duct seal is dark gray and came in bricks (what I got). Sound like the right stuff? I think in the trap pics I saw the "putty" was beige.

You guys are right, duct seal was kinda hidden away not where you'd expect and I had to ask a few people before I found someone who knew what it was (awkward, since I didn't really know what it was...).

That's not a bad idea about plasticene. I actually have quite a lot of it for some reason I forget. It cost about the same as the other stuff for a pound at the time, seems noticeably harder than duct seal (or maybe it's hard with age??) and would probably work too, might get away with less and would still be quiet. But I'll use the tested stuff.

I am going to fill the bottom layer of that 10x10x4" steel box with 2x4, then lay the duct seal on top of that. Why make it too simple? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:43 pm 

Plastecine wouldn't work well for stopping pellets unless you had a lot of it. I just meant it would be good for testing pellet penetration and expansion characteristics. When I tried a trap using that plumbers putty, I had it about two inches deep and after shooting a .177 at around 470fps at it, the result was a cone-shaped crater and the pellet bounced off the back of the trap and came back at me.

Don't worry you got the right stuff. Yes it's hard to find, and no one ever seems to know what you're talking about when you ask for it. Duct Seal stops the pellet quickly before it can go anywhere or bounce off the back of the trap. I also tried blue "sticky tack" and it works extremely well (possibly better than duct seal) but it would be extremely expensive to get enough for a pellet trap. Unless you're name is Under500fps :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:02 pm 

LOL, I have Blu Tac too! It would be damn expensive to use that, kind of like rubbery plasticene, but less messy.

The 2x4's below the putty are just to move the front surface of duct seal forward a bit (cheaper than the putty), though I guess they'll kinda be part of the "trap" too.

Got a plywood backboard. The other day I was using a gun without sights and had a few "strays", surprised I was that far off at 10m by barrel sighting (crooked gun?? :D ).

Anyway, this should look a lot better than what I have now.

Somebody just told me I could have got a whole box of the duct seal (30 pounds) for what I paid at Home Depot for 10 lbs. At the contractor stores. Oh well, maybe somebody else can benefit. At some contractor stores they just "assume", they don't check if you are one.