Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which is best for FT (all will be in .177cal)
Air Arms Pro Sport 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Air Arms TX200 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
Air Arms TX200 HC 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Weihrauch HW97K 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
Other (please identify) 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:37 pm 

Joel, get the Vortek from Tom Gore direct.
Search for Vortek PG2 or if you are on the Network54 Yellow forum the link is at the top of the page.

If you need more info I'll get it for you.

I gotta come to a FT match and see what goes on. :)

Shot my B40 just now and if the kill zones are 6" at 25 yards I'm in! shotgunning right now.......

Walter.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:39 pm 

Mac wrote:
In national and world championship events, the TX is used about five to one or more over the HW. I looked through many results and could not find a Diana 54. These people are the ones who have tried just about everything and overwhelmingly prefer the TX.

I agree there are a lot of good guns out there, but for serious FT, the TX action seems to be preferred by a fairly large margin over anything else.

I have seen that as well, I started considering the Pro Sport as Air Arms claims it to be the "refined version" of the TX200......Or is the only real difference the placement of the cocking lever?

Also thanks for the Vortek link and information, I will have to see what they can all be used in...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:43 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Joel, get the Vortek from Tom Gore direct.
Search for Vortek PG2 or if you are on the Network54 Yellow forum the link is at the top of the page.

If you need more info I'll get it for you.

I gotta come to a FT match and see what goes on. :)

Shot my B40 just now and if the kill zones are 6" at 25 yards I'm in! shotgunning right now.......

Walter.....

Alright thanks Walter, I will definitely be looking into that kit....

You should come to a FT match, just about the best way to spend a day. Its really fun to challenge yourself out at a match, always great people around, always a great experience.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:08 pm 

The Pro Sport is a really nice gun, but you just do not see them very often at FT matches. The guys that have both tend to use the TX for FT. That is certainly the case for me as I have owned both. The PS is gone and the TX will be with me for a real long time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:29 pm 

As I mentioned earlier have both the TX200 and the HW97k. I have found no significant hold difference between the 2. The HW97k does balance nicely for offhand shooting, but the fit and finish of the TX is superior and the trigger blows away any of my HW guns (I also have an HW30s and an HW80). When I went to the US Nationals in 2008 it was the TX that came along and If I get the chance to go this year it will be with the TX again. This is not to say that the HW97k is not a fine gun, but the TX has the edge and this sentiment is shared by the overwhelming majority of FT shooters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:25 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Supr, I would shoot with you :) how good do I have to get? what position(s)?

Walter....

That would be my pleasure to squad with you some day, Walter.
You'll have to do a bit better than "6" at 25 yards" fer sure..... :lol: .
Whatever shooting position works for you. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:17 am 

"I have seen that as well, I started considering the Pro Sport as Air Arms claims it to be the "refined version" of the TX200......Or is the only real difference the placement of the cocking lever?"

Hi Joel.

I own all three you are asking about. Worked on all of them quite a bit, and have owned multiple versions of each over the years.

So...my conclusions:
Balance: 1. Pro Sport 2. HW97k 3. TX200
Fit and Finish: 1. Pro Sport 2. TX200 3. HW97
Action cycling smoothness (stock): 1. Pro Sport 2. HW97k 3. TX200
Action cycling ease: 1. TX200 2. HW 97 3. Pro Sport (due to location of cycling lever on Pro Sport)
Shot Cycle Stock gun: 1. Pro Sport 2. TX200 3. HW97
Shot Cycle Tuned Gun: They can all be made equally smooth, but the Pro Sport will take the least amount of work, and the HW the most.
Accuracy: Can't say one stands out among the rest. Every barrel is different. All have amazing possibilities.
Trigger: AA has the better quality trigger unit.
Preferred Power: Sub 12fpe without question. Stock AA guns will be in the 15-15.5 range. Stock HW 97's in the 13-14fpe range. It takes much more spring to make the same power in the HW97k. The struggle with the AA is to find a spring that will take up the free space on installation yet still produce sub 12fpe.

Now, to the above question. The Pro Sport IS tuned to a slightly higher level than the TX. If you look closely at the links below, you will see the Pro Sport compression cylinder is ringed and buttoned. This takes action cycling to higher level of smooth. Add to that the much more advanced cocking/cycling lever design on the Pro Sport, it adds up to a much more refined feel over the clack-clack of the mechanical bear trap on the TX guns.

That said, much of the internals are the same on the TX/Pro Sport. Yet the TX has a longer barrel, and a more user friendly location for the cocking lever. Over extended periods of shooting the location of the TX cocking lever proves to be less fatiguing. For good looks, balance and refinement, the Pro Sport wins. For FT????? For me accuracy, balance off my knee and the hold sensitive nature of the gun will be three things I concentrate most on. Although most refined, the Pro Sport MAY not be the best for FT applications. That must be determined by personal preference and testing. The good news....in my opinion you are dialed in on the three best current production options for the FT spring division. Decide which to buy first, the rest will come your way later :-).

Read up on these articles if you have not already. Good information on this site:
http://www.severi.be/airgunning/prosport.htm
http://www.severi.be/airgunning/HW97K.htm
http://www.severi.be/airgunning/TX200%20strip.htm
http://www.severi.be/airgunning/HW97K%20strip.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:57 pm 

CJN wrote:
"I have seen that as well, I started considering the Pro Sport as Air Arms claims it to be the "refined version" of the TX200......Or is the only real difference the placement of the cocking lever?"

Hi Joel.

I own all three you are asking about. Worked on all of them quite a bit, and have owned multiple versions of each over the years.

So...my conclusions:
Balance: 1. Pro Sport 2. HW97k 3. TX200
Fit and Finish: 1. Pro Sport 2. TX200 3. HW97
Action cycling smoothness (stock): 1. Pro Sport 2. HW97k 3. TX200
Action cycling ease: 1. TX200 2. HW 97 3. Pro Sport (due to location of cycling lever on Pro Sport)
Shot Cycle Stock gun: 1. Pro Sport 2. TX200 3. HW97
Shot Cycle Tuned Gun: They can all be made equally smooth, but the Pro Sport will take the least amount of work, and the HW the most.
Accuracy: Can't say one stands out among the rest. Every barrel is different. All have amazing possibilities.
Trigger: AA has the better quality trigger unit.
Preferred Power: Sub 12fpe without question. Stock AA guns will be in the 15-15.5 range. Stock HW 97's in the 13-14fpe range. It takes much more spring to make the same power in the HW97k. The struggle with the AA is to find a spring that will take up the free space on installation yet still produce sub 12fpe.

Now, to the above question. The Pro Sport IS tuned to a slightly higher level than the TX. If you look closely at the links below, you will see the Pro Sport compression cylinder is ringed and buttoned. This takes action cycling to higher level of smooth. Add to that the much more advanced cocking/cycling lever design on the Pro Sport, it adds up to a much more refined feel over the clack-clack of the mechanical bear trap on the TX guns.

That said, much of the internals are the same on the TX/Pro Sport. Yet the TX has a longer barrel, and a more user friendly location for the cocking lever. Over extended periods of shooting the location of the TX cocking lever proves to be less fatiguing. For good looks, balance and refinement, the Pro Sport wins. For FT????? For me accuracy, balance off my knee and the hold sensitive nature of the gun will be three things I concentrate most on. Although most refined, the Pro Sport MAY not be the best for FT applications. That must be determined by personal preference and testing. The good news....in my opinion you are dialed in on the three best current production options for the FT spring division. Decide which to buy first, the rest will come your way later :-).

Read up on these articles if you have not already. Good information on this site:
http://www.severi.be/airgunning/prosport.htm
http://www.severi.be/airgunning/HW97K.htm
http://www.severi.be/airgunning/TX200%20strip.htm
http://www.severi.be/airgunning/HW97K%20strip.htm

Amazing info, thanks a lot......

Gives me a bit to look over and consider, I really like the Pro Sport and definitely would like to try one out some time....I have located a 12FPE parts kit for TX200 but not for the Pro Sport, still trying to locate that......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:22 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:

Walter....

Got her down to aout 1.5" offhand at 25yards.

Walter....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:52 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Suprmatic wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:

Walter....

Got her down to aout 1.5" offhand at 25yards.

Walter....

Good shootin', Walter - you'll be good to go for the forced offhand lane :D .
Now try to see if you can assume the ft seated position, and you'll probably be able to reduce your groups to sub .5" at 25 yds. It is a very stable shooting position, if you can manage it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:59 pm 

The muzzle had a nasty burr and was able to remove it based on shooting improvement :)

Was able to hit pebbles today about half the time out to 25 yards so pretty pleased with that.

FT position..... well that scares me. Will have to try it but that middle aged paunch could be problematic .... :)

okay will try tomorrow and report back.

Walter....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:29 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Will have to try it but that middle aged paunch could be problematic .... :)
Getting into the sitting FT position can be great motivation for losing that gut! I spend a lot of time in the gym working on my core strength and flexibility specifically to maintain comfort and stability while seated.
Getting my father out to shoot has given him the desire to drop some pounds around the mid-section for the same reasons.

Now...back on topic - Joel, buy the TX and let me shoot it at the next match :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:42 pm 

Started PX90 today just to have something that forces me to work out at least six times a week. Probably will have trouble moving for a week or so, but hat stiffness from hard work is something that has never really bothered me much. It means I am working hard.

Tom. I'll bring my TX to the next match for you to shoot and Joel can try it too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:00 am 

I have a ProSport Vortek kit enroute to me as we speak! I'm hoping to get her to just under 12ft/lbs and see how she does!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 am 

windbag wrote:
I have a ProSport Vortek kit enroute to me as we speak! I'm hoping to get her to just under 12ft/lbs and see how she does!

How did it shoot prior to this kit? I really like the way the Pro Sports are setup...........