Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:30 am 

One of the original FT shooters in Canada, George Harde, competed in the World Championships, hosted this year by Hungary. George had a very good time at all the events associated with the match and shot well to boot. He placed 5th in the Piston Class in the match and should be coming home with an award. He said he took hundreds of pictures and I am thinking some of them will end up on the CAFTA site for all of us to view. He will be traveling home today and with the time difference is probably already en-route.

When people saw his Canadian hat and jacket, they wanted to have pictures taken with him and he claimed he was probably in a thousand photos. He also said that FT shooters at the match had almost celebrity status with the Hungarian people. He was given hats, pins, shirts and all sorts of mementos to bring home. All-in-all, he was a very happy camper when I spoke to him after the final day of shooting. I am really looking forward to hearing his stories and looking at his pics when he gets back.

Congratulations to George! Fifth in the World!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:06 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Congratulations on a great finish George!...

I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures from the Worlds...
Thanks for keeping us in the loop Tim..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:48 pm 

Wow! Fantastic news, great job George!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:19 pm 

Mac wrote:
He placed 5th in the Piston Class in the match and should be coming home with an award.
Congratulations to George! Fifth in the World!

WOW! 5th place in the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP! What do you say to that! Like I was happy to get 5th place in last Saturday's Elmer Fudd Hunter's Match, and I think alot had to do with the fact we did not have such a big turn up... But 5th place in the World! Congratulations X100!

That is great news to us Canadians! And to you George!

Take care,

NIGHTHAWK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:45 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

NIGHTHAWK wrote:
WOW! 5th place in the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP! What do you say to that! Like I was happy to get 5th place in last Saturday's Elmer Fudd Hunter's Match, and I think alot had to do with the fact we did not have such a big turn up... But 5th place in the World! Congratulations X100!
That is great news to us Canadians! And to you George!
Take care,
NIGHTHAWK

George has been a top notch Piston shooter for over a decade now... he's won the Canadian Nationals I don't know how many times, the US Nationals once (and typically finishes near the top) and I *think* his best World finish is 3rd..

Overall, Canadian FT shooters are pretty darn good; at any US National match, there are a few Canadians who have the ability to win it all... our very own Mac won the US North East Regionals last year..it really all boils down to who has the best day and if their equipment performs as it should. When you consider there are less than 50 FT shooters in Canada, and we're all 'home brewed' with only a few events a year (in comparison to the US and the UK, where you can pick from several matches each weekend it is amazing how good we are!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:21 am 

Hi All
had the pleasure of meeting George and having breakfast with him on Monday morning at the hotel in Hungary. He had a thoroughly good time at the Worlds and like is said above, the badges, hat pins, caps and shirts were free flowing.
The quality of shooting was also quite high in all departments, except mine.
My son kicked my butt yet again. Ask George about him.
Now put this site into my favourites as I have been a member for quite a while but forgot about you, sorry.

cheers
Barry McDonald

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 am 

Hi Barry

Looking at your scores would indicate you did not do badly at all. Getting their butt kicked by you son is something all but two experienced at the match. George and another friend spoke to me about your son being one of the front runners before he even left for Hungary. You certainly must be the proud father.

George should be back and probably sleeping it off. I hope to hear from him in the next day or so. He certainly sounded excited and exhausted when I spoke to him Sunday at what would have been late afternoon in Hungary. He was talking of watching a shoot-off between his friend Andy and your son I believe.

I have to go back to the Hungarian site to see if there are more pictures or information on the match.

Glad you will be stopping in at this site from time to time.

Take care

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:20 am 

Hi Tim
after 3 years, 2 posts in 2 days can't be bad.......

Craig and Andy are great pals.
They had a shoot-off in the British Masters in 2006 Craig beating Tim Williams (rip) and Andy Calpin to take 4th spot. He was 14.
Move on to 2008 in Ireland Craig, Andy and James Woodhead in shoot-off for 6th, 7th and 8th.
Craig beats both to take 6th Andy 7th he was obviously 16 then. So it was about time that the tables turned and Andy got some sweet revenge.
Craig shoots for fun and always enjoys the meeting and the banter.
To finish 3rd overall and also to get his last junior title is absolutely fantastic for me as a very proud father.

all the best
Barry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:14 am 

Barry, would that be you sitting beside Craig on the sight-in range in one of the pics on the Hungarian forum for the World Match? Looks like a concerned dad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:49 am 

Sorry for delay in getting back to you Tim, I have been looking through ALL the pics from Hungary.
Did I have a smile on my face? Post it here and I'll let you know.
I tried to post a pic of both of us but failed
cheers
Barry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:55 pm 

I could not copy this pic so I will try the link.

http://www.fieldtarget.hu/album/index.p ... -FTVB_kezd

It is about the 11th pic from the bottom. Your son is in the foreground at the bottom with back turned, talking to ??? with a dark toque and blue shooting jacket, shooting a Steyr that looks like it has a Leup. Comp on it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:58 pm 

a Short video of the Worlds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1cgEiR6d_c

cheers
Barry