Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Are you interested in a monthly 10M AP postal match with ISSF rules?
Yes - 60/60 in 105 minutes event, Full ISSF Rules 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
Yes - 30/30 in 52.5 minutes event, Full ISSF Rules 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
Maybe (please specify the reason) 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
No 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Never, ever 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lame 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:35 am 

Question - like some of the guys, I cannot get a full 10 meters, but I can get a comfortable 10 yards, and so I can use a scaled target. I just measured precisely, rather than the slop job I did before.

1) How does one scale it? Printing program? If we do this, it might be an idea to make our own official targets via a PDF file, say, one file regulation and one scaled for 27 feet or something like that. Then that PDF file could be emailed to participants, and away we go. Just an idea.

2) Now, I know nothing about this target shooting at all. I've only done benchrest and skeet. Very "mediocre - ly" indeed. But is there not a 7 1/2 meter target distance as well? I'm a by-the-book anal mentality when bottom line is reached. Is it not possible to have a category at this distance?

I understand that if one guy (V76, who started this) is going to collate, then that might be a pain. So I'd simply use a scaled target. But, question remains. Isn't there an official 7 1/2 meter distance for some kind of target shooting?

So in any case, Vic, contrary to my whining in the PM, I'm in. Good ideas deserve support. You realize, of course, that you are costing me money. Now I will have to get a real target pistol. :twisted: Let me know when you get tired of your Izzy. :mrgreen:

thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:14 am 

does it have to be a spring pistol?
i have only p17, 1377 in pistol form with iron sites.
no springers :shock:

?????????

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:15 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Your P17 is better suited for this type of shooting then your 1377 or my HW45 .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:24 pm 

quickreply7789 wrote:
does it have to be a spring pistol?
i have only p17, 1377 in pistol form with iron sites.
no springers :shock:

?????????

Doesn't have to be a spring pistol, you can use any powerplant.

Quote:
I understand that if one guy (V76, who started this) is going to collate, then that might be a pain. So I'd simply use a scaled target. But, question remains. Isn't there an official 7 1/2 meter distance for some kind of target shooting?

I've got 6m and 6yard scaled down air pistol targets that I've downloaded from somewhere (unofficial though), havn't seen any targets for 7.5m, there aren't any official matchs for that distance. I can email you a copy or upload it somewhere if you'd like.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:37 pm 

Quote:
Question - like some of the guys, I cannot get a full 10 meters, but I can get a comfortable 10 yards, and so I can use a scaled target. I just measured precisely, rather than the slop job I did before.

1) How does one scale it? Printing program? If we do this, it might be an idea to make our own official targets via a PDF file, say, one file regulation and one scaled for 27 feet or something like that. Then that PDF file could be emailed to participants, and away we go. Just an idea.

moltogordo,

With the SCATT Professional software, you can print any ISSF target (and others) in your required scale. It's free and you can download it at this address:

http://www.scatt.com/support.htm

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:14 pm 

yes,
maybe some one could make up some targets and "post" them :mrgreen: (sorry) so the technically challenged and everyone else, is all on the same page.
10meter
7.5 meter
5 meter
can you go smaller and still be able to score it???

not all of us have vast estates like Rene's place!!!!

i think this is a great idea. i have been itching to go shooting with someone, but no air gun shooting gangs here so..... it can get a little boring. this might be just the ticket.

i have a new backing in my 5 gallon bucket back stop (un-wanted stuffed teddy bear). 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:28 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

quickreply7789 wrote:
not all of us have vast estates like Rene's place!!!!

I would not call my 54'x12' mobile home a vast estates .
But I do have my indoor range of 36 feet from the back debroom to the kitchen front wall .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:54 pm 

ah ha! nice lay out but if i drop over for a visit sometime i'll have to watch "the first step in". eh?
my living room is 25' including the hallway. i can squeeze out another 15 feet or so but i am shooting at an angle through a door way with a line of site that is minimal. i already have a few holes from "flyers" but i think shooting through the narrow opening time after time is just asking for trouble. :mrgreen: my wife has been really good about it.

found this target:
can i use this for the postal shoot?
umm, that 10 ring looks about the size of a keiths cap eh????

please excuse my ignorance- but could you guys give me a dummies idea on scoring too????

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:12 pm 

For scoring, use the highest scoring ring / area that the pellet hole touches... so if you fired a shot that was mostly in the 8 zone but touches the 9, it's a 9.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:36 pm 

sweet!!!
thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:41 pm 

[quote/]
found this target:
can i use this for the postal shoot?
umm, that 10 ring looks about the size of a keiths cap eh????

please excuse my ignorance- but could you guys give me a dummies idea on scoring too????[/quote]

As a matter of fact bottle caps is what I use for 10 meter practice.

I was outside today during a nice calm in the breeze and did OK on some bottle cap targets with my IZZY. I adjusted the palm rest upward and used the middle finger for trigger.

When my brother arrives to start on the reno shooting inside will be out of the question, but weather permitting I will give it a go outside.

Anybody know where you can get a device for checking trigger pull weight?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:58 pm 

Yes, the official 10m target is 11.5mm for the 10 and +16mm for each additional ring like v76 posted.
Another option is to google and download the Pellant Airguns software, it will let you create and print your own targets... you can specify the dimensions of each ring down to .1mm.... so you can scale down and print targets to whatever size you want, and however number of targets per sheet of paper you want :wink:.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:41 pm 

I hate to point this out to you folks, if some one is going to shoot at a reduced distance, keep in mind because the dia. of the pellet haven't change, so those shot a reduced distance is like using a LARGER pellets.

ISSF 10 m air pistol target 10 ring = 10.5 mm

@ 5 m the 10 ring should be 3 mm not 1/2 of 10.5 mm, 5.25 mm.

Because you'll need to reduce the dia. of the pellet accordingly, ( 10.5 mm/2 ) - ( 4.5 mm/2 ) = 3 mm

I'm not sure if those target printing software has taken this into account, OTOH I don't think a couple of ft. either way is going to make that much of a difference, at least not at my skill level, however in order to assure fairness, I think all shooters should use targets as close to the offical ones as possible.

One more sugestion, since this is a postal match and some shooter are not use to shoot a 60 shot match at one go, I'll suggest as long as you can completed the course within the time limit of 105 min. you can shoot the match 20 shots or 15 shots at a time until finish.

BTW, count me in, when and where do we send in the score?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:18 am 

I am having trouble printing the target using the 75% target It is printing too large is anyone else having a problem?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:25 am 

Paul wrote:
Quote:

moltogordo,

With the SCATT Professional software, you can print any ISSF target (and others) in your required scale. It's free and you can download it at this address:

http://www.scatt.com/support.htm

Paul

Thanks very much, Paul. Unfortunately, I run on Linux and the program won't work for me. But I tried!

Now, I have downloaded the website target (100% 10 meter) and have, I think, got the right dimensions. The 10 ring is about 10mm (worn ruler) and the diameter of the target circle is 14cm. Is this correct?

Now when I download the 7.5 meter, 75% target, I get the same dimension. I don't think so. What should be the diameter of this circle? Should I reduce the target size to 75% on my printer if I can figure out how to do this?

Once I get the proper target then there will be no problem as I'll just load it and print from the file. But I can only get 31 feet comfortably. I don't want to have to "cheat" for 2 feet and call it a day. I will not be a threat under any circumstances, but I do want to do it right.

Circle dimensions in CM for the targets would [b]really[b] be appreciated! :oops: :oops:

PS - Vic - really nice work on that website! Thanks and bravo!!!!!!!!!!! :D