Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:49 am 

CJN wrote:
Those who are...making...rules for the CFC are not stupid.

I disagree with this one point... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:44 pm 

Quote:
below 500fps with intended pellet.

That is kind of what I was getting at. I know all of this is only for fun but the rules should be made clear before it comes up in a competition. And if I can help it along by opening my big mouth, so be it.

Yes I do believe it would be cheating that is why I asked first, rather than go ahead and just doing it. I think it would not only be cheating but against the law as Walter and others have stated. But when has that stopped anyone before.

Jeff.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound.
WAGG. Waterloo Area Greyhound Group.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:02 pm 

windbag wrote:
CJN wrote:
Those who are...making...rules for the CFC are not stupid.

I disagree with this one point... :wink:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:17 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Pellets used to determine PL would be the manufacturers choice and they DO NOT use heavy pellets to determine fps.

I wouldn't bet on that if I were you - because you'd lose.
On the original box for my non-PAL Diana 24C it states:
"Certified less than 500 FPS with H&N Barracuda pellets".
H&N Barracuda pellets are a heavy pellet - IIRC, around 10.3 gr. in .177. Far heavier than the average 8.0 grain .177 pellet.

In my experience, manufacturers do indeed make use of heavier pellets to conform to Canada's sub-500 FPS laws.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:16 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:
Pellets used to determine PL would be the manufacturers choice and they DO NOT use heavy pellets to determine fps.

I wouldn't bet on that if I were you - because you'd lose.
On the original box for my non-PAL Diana 24C it states:
"Certified less than 500 FPS with H&N Barracuda pellets".
H&N Barracuda pellets are a heavy pellet - IIRC, around 10.3 gr. in .177. Far heavier than the average 8.0 grain .177 pellet.

In my experience, manufacturers do indeed make use of heavier pellets to conform to Canada's sub-500 FPS laws.

That is very interesting Supr, never heard that one before especially on a gun that has never been PAL rated or offered as PAL rated. (may be mistaken on that one too)

What velocity will your 24C shoot 7.9 grain Crosmans at?

I had the 'manufacturer selects the pellet weight for the velocity' part correct eh? :)

If I was doing a standard for velocity testing it would be the lead roundball weight applicable to the caliber.

Cheers,
Walter....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:38 pm 

Quote:
If I was doing a standard for velocity testing it would be the lead roundball weight applicable to the caliber.

^X2

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:50 pm 

Mac wrote:
Can't see why staying within the rules would be considered cheating. I call it innovating.

Since targets can easily withstand 20 ft/lb and not be damaged, there are no issues there. We try to set the targets for sub 500fps matches to go down with a 2 ft/lb paddle hit and stay up with a 12 ft/lb face hit. That should pretty well cover any innovating that can be done.

I would agree with this.....

If the CFC has not given a standard weight of pellet (specific to caliber) to be used in velocity testing that is their fault, not mine.....If my gun is shooting below 500FPS and meanwhile not exceeding 5.4Joules of power I am not breaking any law, plain and simple.....Until proof of said law is shown I am following their "laws"

I'm sure the argument here will be "Well if you shoot a light pellet it will be over 500FPS".....well yeah, maybe it would be, but I am not shooting light pellets, and all the pellets I have with me our 10.3gr....weird.... :butthead: That's like a cop pulling you over and saying "you know your car could go over the speed limit, if you push the gas too far"..... :lol:

I don't think it is playing the rules when you follow them in a different way than the standard person, provided you are actually still following them. If I didn't have a Chrony I wouldn't do it, as I could never be sure of actually energies and velocities. But shooting a pellet below 500FPS and 5.4Joules is perfectly legal, no matter what pellet you use, they wrote that law, not me. I am/will follow their laws exactly as written, they say nothing about pellet weight, so people assuming a "standard weight" is doing nothing but hurting yourself......Who cares about "manufacturer tests...or recommendations" until I see that on the CFC site, in this law, it is of no relevance

It seems almost sensible that one would adjust their gun with the pellet they intend to use, to the best legal trajectory they can acquire, which is obviously just under 500FPS.....and unless in doing so you produce over 5.4Joules you are perfectly legal :|

:rolleyes:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:04 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:
Mac wrote:
Can't see why staying within the rules would be considered cheating. I call it innovating.

Since targets can easily withstand 20 ft/lb and not be damaged, there are no issues there. We try to set the targets for sub 500fps matches to go down with a 2 ft/lb paddle hit and stay up with a 12 ft/lb face hit. That should pretty well cover any innovating that can be done.

I would agree with this.....

If the CFC has not given a standard weight of pellet (specific to caliber) to be used in velocity testing that is their fault, not mine.....If my gun is shooting below 500FPS and meanwhile not exceeding 5.4Joules of power I am not breaking any law, plain and simple.....Until proof of said law is shown I am following their "laws"

I'm sure the argument here will be "Well if you shoot a light pellet it will be over 500FPS".....well yeah, maybe it would be, but I am not shooting light pellets, and all the pellets I have with me our 10.3gr....weird.... :butthead: That's like a cop pulling you over and saying "you know your car could go over the speed limit, if you push the gas too far"..... :lol:

I don't think it is playing the rules when you follow them in a different way than the standard person, provided you are actually still following them. If I didn't have a Chrony I wouldn't do it, as I could never be sure of actually energies and velocities. But shooting a pellet below 500FPS and 5.4Joules is perfectly legal, no matter what pellet you use, they wrote that law, not me. I am/will follow their laws exactly as written, they say nothing about pellet weight, so people assuming a "standard weight" is doing nothing but hurting yourself......Who cares about "manufacturer tests...or recommendations" until I see that on the CFC site, in this law, it is of no relevance

It seems almost sensible that one would adjust their gun with the pellet they intend to use, to the best legal trajectory they can acquire, which is obviously just under 500FPS.....and unless in doing so you produce over 5.4Joules you are perfectly legal :|

:rolleyes:

You perhaps do not remember the ruling and the reason for the energy level being added.
It was to allow for the shooting of light weight pellets in a non-PAL airgun that exceeds 500fps but not the 5.4 Joules.
The pellets to determine the speed were a) manufacturer specified b) standard weights
AND so for .177 that is 7.9 grains and in .22cal 14.3 grains.

In the case of the Diana of Supr's they specified the pellet on the manufacturer statement. Especially important as it deviates from the 'standard' pellet readily available.

These things were the hot topic back in the early 80s as I recall. Mainly as the registry was gearing up and they made the grab at adult airguns as firearms.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:08 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:

You perhaps do not remember the ruling and the reason for the energy level being added.
It was to allow for the shooting of light weight pellets in a non-PAL airgun that exceeds 500fps but not the 5.4 Joules.
The pellets to determine the speed were a) manufacturer specified b) standard weights

In the case of the Diana of Supr's they specified the pellet on the manufacturer statement. Especially important as it deviates from the 'standard' pellet readily available.

These things were the hot topic back in the early 80s as I recall. Mainly as the registry was gearing up and they made the grab at adult airguns as firearms.

I have never seen these pellet weights referenced in their laws, do you have a link? (Seriously...)

The pellet weight should also be referenced in the actual law itself to remain viable, or at least say "when dealing with XXXXX pellet"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:13 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:

Just though of something though....

What is the difference of using a light pellet over 500FPS and under 5.4J and using a heavy pellet under 500FPS and under 5.4J???

The heavy pellet exceeds neither.... :|

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:22 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:

What is the difference of using a light pellet over 500FPS and under 5.4J and using a heavy pellet under 500FPS and under 5.4J???

The determination is it must break both barriers to be PAL rated.
you gotta use real life examples instead of what-ifs to sort this out.

14.3 grains at 499fps is 7.95fpe = 10.78 Joules..... non-PAL

7.9 grains at 499fps is 4.4fpe = 5.96 Joules ....... non-PAL

Now if either of those shoots a super light pellet that exceeds the 500fps but does not exceed 5.7 Joules it is still non-PAL
if it exceeds both then it is PAL.

EDIT TO FIX MATH

Last edited by Voltar1 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:30 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
jgoodz420 wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:

14.3 grains at 499fps is 7.95fpe = 5.86 Joules..... non-PAL

7.9 grains at 499fps is 4.4fpe = 3.2 Joules

Now if either of those shoots a super light pellet that exceeds the 500fps but does not exceed 5.4 Joules it is still non-PAL

so technically if a rifle does not breach both factors you really dont need a pal for them?
yet you cant buy a 500+fpe rifle without a pal even tho its only a part of the equasion?
that sucks

Dave[/color]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:32 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
jgoodz420 wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:

14.3 grains at 499fps is 7.95fpe = 5.86 Joules..... non-PAL

7.9 grains at 499fps is 4.4fpe = 3.2 Joules

Now if either of those shoots a super light pellet that exceeds the 500fps but does not exceed 5.4 Joules it is still non-PAL

Hmmm.....I understand this to a point

Why is a 28.4gr @ 499 = 15.71FPE illegal then? it is not breaking both barriers. You said they mention standard pellet weights? this leaves me at a blank as I have searched their laws for exactly that, a pellet weight, and found nothing......I guess that's my issue at this point, no where have I seen them list in black and white "7.9gr and 14.3gr"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:46 pm 

[quote="Voltar1 wrote:
jgoodz420 wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:

14.3 grains at 499fps is 7.95fpe = 10.77 Joules..... non-PAL

7.9 grains at 499fps is 4.4fpe = 5.96 Joules ...... non-PAL

Hmmm.....I understand this to a point

Why is a 28.4gr @ 499 = 15.71FPE illegal then? it is not breaking both barriers. You said they mention standard pellet weights? this leaves me at a blank as I have searched their laws for exactly that, a pellet weight, and found nothing......I guess that's my issue at this point, no where have I seen them list in black and white "7.9gr and 14.3gr"[/quote]

Standard weights were determined and thereafter presumed to be understood since about 1980

there are some math mistakes in my quote above. Fixed in an edit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:52 pm 

if you think about it they probably keep it vaugue on purpose...keep people guessing .....keep em scared of breaking the law if they are good law abiding folk

Dave[/color]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next