Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:37 am 

Okay, I've got to face the facts. I'm a very, very average shot and even the world's best pistol is not going to make me a crackerjack. But I'm really up for this forum shooting match as arranged by V76.

I'm using (and going to use) my HW40 for a couple of months as I've spent my bolt. But good as it is, and much as I like it, it's not a target job. The sight radius is short, and my very best score on a 7 yard target so far with 10 shots is 67, and it's not probably going to get much better.

I'm not going to buy a Pardini, and even an Izzy is wasted on me. I'm just not that good and never will be. I'm now left handed and it's just too much money. By the time I got everything done, even an Izzy will cost me 5 1/2 to 6 bills. And I'll never get a Condor!!! Next priority is converting my Alecto (which I just bought from V76) to .22 for grouse and pests. So I'm not going to use that; and I really don't think from what I've read that it's more than marginally more accurate than my HW40.

I'm looking at the Daisy 747 for a birthday present for myself (April). The max I can spend is 300, period. Is there anything more accurate out there than the Daisy for these bucks?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:06 am 

moltogordo wrote:
Okay, I've got to face the facts. I'm a very, very average shot and even the world's best pistol is not going to make me a crackerjack. But I'm really up for this forum shooting match as arranged by V76.

I'm using (and going to use) my HW40 for a couple of months as I've spent my bolt. But good as it is, and much as I like it, it's not a target job. The sight radius is short, and my very best score on a 7 yard target so far with 10 shots is 67, and it's not probably going to get much better.

I'm not going to buy a Pardini, and even an Izzy is wasted on me. I'm just not that good and never will be. I'm now left handed and it's just too much money. By the time I got everything done, even an Izzy will cost me 5 1/2 to 6 bills. And I'll never get a Condor!!! Next priority is converting my Alecto (which I just bought from V76) to .22 for grouse and pests. So I'm not going to use that; and I really don't think from what I've read that it's more than marginally more accurate than my HW40.

I'm looking at the Daisy 747 for a birthday present for myself (April). The max I can spend is 300, period. Is there anything more accurate out there than the Daisy for these bucks?

My first pistol was a raw Crosman 2240. Groupings....broad side of barn door on a good day. My next pistol was a blowback PPK....the bbs barely reach 10 meters. Next was a Barretta 92FS...apparently not bad in the hands of the right shooter....I wasn't the right shooter.

I didn't like pistols much...just couldn't get my mojo working.

Then I bought a used IZH 46m. Blew the seals out of it in the first 10 minutes I had it.

But when I put the new seals in and got a bench rest to tune in the sights I discovered something....the pistol DOES NOT MISS....I do.

I started with the bottom of a five gallon paint can with two handed Weaver grip. I kept using smaller and smaller cans. I kept practising aiming at a nail hole in my kitchen wall using the Wyatt Earp grip and watching how much displacement pulling the trigger did until I got better technique....then I dry fired it.

Now I can hit bottle caps at 10 meters but not nearly as consistently as I would like...... :mrgreen:

Would I have ever gotten better with a pistol if I had not gotten the IZZY?... nope.

Would I now consider getting a Pardini ?.....yep

Can I shoot the other pistols I had before better now?......groupings are now consistently within the barn door.... :mrgreen:

I wouldn't be too concerned about muzzle velocity in a purely target pistol...10 meters is not very far and short strand paper is not very hard to puncture. I would buy a Daisy if I could get one of the discontinued 777s.

Gordo, if you haven't already got one be sure to get an aperture for your glasses. They make a world of difference.

Now I really should go out and fix up that barn door, it's getting crooked on the hinges from the weight of pellets embedded in it.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:17 am 

So well said Mauser! I too thought I was a fair shot with long guns,better than most of my buddies. Pistol shooting not so much. My 46M TAUGHT me how to shoot properly , otherwise I would still be shooting circle patterns. Gordo knows of my passion for my Izzy as I have tried to turn him into the light. - lol. It is around 3yrs. now and the 46 continues to amaze me with what it can do, particularly oudoors at longer ranges { 70+ ft toy soldier head shots }.

{ The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true. }

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:52 am 

Mauser and Rolf are right on the mark. My experiences are very similar.

MoltoGordo: get an Izzy, and and some aperture or a piece of tape with an 1/8" hole on your glasses, things will improve, slowly but surely.

Shooting pistol, (one hand @ 10m), consistently is a great challenge.
I am on my second year, getting 70s average now, with some great days and a few bad days. Bottle caps, I mostly get 3 out of 5!

My eye sight, coordination and muscle tone have improved.
If I can do it at 72, after 30 years of a desk job, anyone can do it!

I know that you are shooting left hand, so get left hand grips!

Yes, I would get a Pardini or a Steyr LP50 right away, if there weren't so many other demands...

Air Pistols: Baikal IZH46M; Webley Alecto .22; Umarex Beretta 92FS; Umarex Colt 1911A1;

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:18 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

I like my Gamo Compact it has a better trigger then my P17 & HW45
http://www.dlairgun.com/Gamo-Air-Pistols.html

You can get Gamo Target Pistol Left Hand Grip for it too .
http://www.dlairgun.com/Gamo-Accessories.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:10 pm 

Beretto wrote:
Mauser and Rolf are right on the mark. My experiences are very similar.

MoltoGordo: get an Izzy, and and some aperture or a piece of tape with an 1/8" hole on your glasses, things will improve, slowly but surely.

My eye sight, coordination and muscle tone have improved.
If I can do it at 72, after 30 years of a desk job, anyone can do it!

I'm feeling somewhat ganged-up on!! :wink: If I go for the Iz, it's going to be a while. I really have no issues with the HW40 except for the muzzle flip that Vic is talking about. I enjoy shooting it a lot. So I'll tinker.

Back in the 70's, I did some target pistol shooting. I had a S&W .22 Target, and was reasonable. The switch to left-hand is not that bad - I'm a professional violinist so my left arm is strong and controlled. I probably have more natural ability as a pistol shooter than a rifle shooter - that's what the guys at the club told me after a couple of pathetic years trying to be a benchrest star. (Placed only once!)

Maybe my pathetic whining is because I'm trying to avoid buying the Iz?

Okay. I'll stop whining and save up for the Iz because I don't want a stopgap. But the Condor has to come first so don't laugh at my scores. I'll stop buying air rifles after the Condor because I've got a lot of powderburners in small calibres and I'd better start using them. I'll concentrate on pistols with my air obsession. I'll save up for the Izzy and stop whining.

Okay. Happy???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
[/b]

PS - Don't feel left out because I didn't mention the Gamo, Rene. I bought an HW40 on your rec, so you're part of this, too. Maybe Vic'll give me a deal on his Izzy when he buys a Pardini! :twisted: But I won't sell or trade the HW40. I like it too much, it's ambidextrous, and my friends like to shoot it, too. No stopgaps, then.

Oh yeah, Beretto - I'm not yet sixty so you're inspiring. I decided last month to go back to the gym in January. Glad your muscle tone is improving yet! Right now I don't have any . . . .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:49 pm 

The Izzy is a heavy gun and all the weight is up front, so I'd suggest you try before you buy. It's a good gun but you might love it or hate it depending on what kind of balance you prefer. I found my FWB65 easier to shoot because it was less muzzle heavy, even though it was about the same weight as the Izzy (on the heavy side). You might be able to find a used Tau-7 for around your price range ($300) and that is also an excellent choice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:58 pm 

moltogordo: Consider the story of the young boy taking violin lessons and making an awful noise. One of the neighbors comes in and listens to him play, after which the boy says, this violin is too cheap, if I just had a better violin I could do so much better. The neighbor picks up the violin and plays a beautiful tune, passes it back to the boy and says I see what you mean, this is not the best violin in the world. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:16 pm 

Watertown wrote:
moltogordo: Consider the story of the young boy taking violin lessons and making an awful noise. One of the neighbors comes in and listens to him play, after which the boy says, this violin is too cheap, if I just had a better violin I could do so much better. The neighbor picks up the violin and plays a beautiful tune, passes it back to the boy and says I see what you mean, this is not the best violin in the world. :wink:

I've used this one more than once! :mrgreen: , Watertown! As I said before, I probably have this intrisic, covert desire to buy an Izzy (and every other airgun out there!) He who dies with the most toys, wins!

Kevin - problem with living in the outbacks like I do is that frequently you have to buy a pig in a poke. I do have the HW40. It's a good gun. I do have a preference for something a bit more weight forward. But my chances of trying a Tau, a Fein, or an Izzy around this neck of the woods is slim to none. This is big gun country.

I don't have a wife to nag at a purchase, or to hide a purchase from (that's probably why I shoot in my living room or kitchen! :twisted: ) But because I don't have a chance to try, I usually have to go by recommendation. And the forum guys have been terrific. And if I don't like it, hey, I'll eventually buy another one. Going on pension next year will put a bit of a kibosh on that, though, so I want to get as many as I can before the door closes :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:44 pm 

Gordo, add it all up....the hair loss....the soulless MUHUHAHAHA laughter...the gradual assimilation of the body into a cyborg.....you are on your way into the dark side just like the rest of us..... :mrgreen:

The light sabre was old school technology...sort of like vinyl records and tube amps....but think "MERCURY LIVING PRESENCE"....the IZZY is from that era....

If you USE THE FORCE you will do just fine with that gun...... :mrgreen:

Come over to the Dark Side Gordo....

Night-time sharpens, heightens each sensation ...
Darkness stirs and wakes imagination ...
Silently the senses abandon their defences ...

Slowly, gently night unfurls its splendour ...
Grasp it, sense it - tremulous and tender ...
Turn your face away from the garish light of day,
turn your thoughts away from cold, unfeeling light -
and listen to the music of the night ...

Get out your violin Gordo......... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

moltogordo wrote:
, my very best score on a 7 yard target so far with 10 shots is 67, and it's not probably going to get much better.

Out of 6 targets that I shot today my best one was 67/100 too but at 10 yards and my worst one was 40/100 , that was with my Gamo Compact with one hand .
I hope that I can get better with practice .
Shooting with one hand is very humbling for me . :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:59 pm 

under500fps wrote:
moltogordo wrote:
, my very best score on a 7 yard target so far with 10 shots is 67, and it's not probably going to get much better.

Out of 6 targets that I shot today my best one was 67/100 too but at 10 yards and my worst one was 40/100 , that was with my Gamo Compact with one hand .

Rene - that sounds like mine, except my worst was 34. :oops: Glad the losers don't have to buy the beer!

Mauser - Mercury Living Presense? OH MAN! Those were some of the best recordings ever made. I have modern DVD's from those tapes, and they're spectacular on my stereo. I have one of the Schoenberg 5 Orchestral Pieces Op. 16, and another of the Ossepiev Balalaika Orchestra, that would knock your socks off. My system is centered around Sonic Frontiers components. Tubes, of course!!!

Maybe the Baikal IS my gun! :D

Hey, who's the poet?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:14 pm 

moltogordo wrote:
under500fps wrote:
moltogordo wrote:

Rene - that sounds like mine, except my worst was 34. :oops: Glad the losers don't have to buy the beer!

Mauser - Mercury Living Presense? OH MAN! Those were some of the best recordings ever made. I have modern DVD's from those tapes, and they're spectacular on my stereo. I have one of the Schoenberg 5 Orchestral Pieces Op. 16, and another of the Ossepiev Balalaika Orchestra, that would knock your socks off. My system is centered around Sonic Frontiers components. Tubes, of course!!!

Maybe the Baikal IS my gun! :D

Hey, who's the poet?

Andrew Lloyd Webber from Phantom of the Opera..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:00 pm 

The 747 is not a bad pistol. Here is are 2 tricks that I learned.

#1 the grip
I have sweaty hands, and when I sweat the pistol grip slips in my hand and the front of the AP drops. I would have to grip the AP harder and harder to counter the slip.

The trick is...get a bit so plastic stick on "non-skid" material. I got mine from the local Ace Hardware.
Cut a small piece, about 1"x1"
Stick this onto the backstrap of the grip, where your hand touches the backstrap.
The non-skid keeps the pistol from slipping and rotating in my hand.

The 2nd trick is the 7x7 can be dry fired safely.
Just cock the bolt w/o working the air charging lever.
This one thing improved my trigger pull tremendously. My other AP could not be dry fired, so I did not realize that I was pushing the trigger (and thus the AP) to the side. In other words, my trigger pull was not STRAIGHT BACK. And the only way I discovered that was dry firing, so the sound and movement of the shot did not distract from the sight picture when I pulled the trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:04 am 

ac12 wrote:
The 747 is not a bad pistol. Here is are 2 tricks that I learned.

#1 the grip

The trick is...get a bit so plastic stick on "non-skid" material.
The non-skid keeps the pistol from slipping and rotating in my hand.

The 2nd trick is the 7x7 can be dry fired safely.
Just cock the bolt w/o working the air charging lever.
In other words, my trigger pull was not STRAIGHT BACK. And the only way I discovered that was dry firing, so the sound and movement of the shot did not distract from the sight picture when I pulled the trigger.

Two excellent tips. Thanks. I haven't thrown out the idea of a 747 yet, but I guess I'll eventually get both. This thing's a disease anyway, so I'll have to get out of denial! :mrgreen: