Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: FT - Results / Questions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:42 am 

Hi,

I am new to this board and have a few questions regarding Field Target shooting.

I noticed in the Canadian Championship 2010 results there doesn't appear to be any Open Piston Class? Why?

How do you get a TX200 or HW97 to meet the 12 fpe limit of the WFTF division?

Also, there does not appear to be any Piston Gun competitors in the Hunter Division....any reason?

Sorry, if I am over looking something and these questions are lame.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:53 am 

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I would suggest you direct all of these questions in the "Field Target" forum that you'll find listed fourth down in the main board index.
You'll get lots of input from a very knowledgable group of FT shooters.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:56 am 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I would suggest you direct all of these questions in the "Field Target" forum that you'll find listed fourth down in the main board index.
You'll get lots of input from a very knowledgable group of FT shooters.

field-target-f28.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:35 am 

Thank you for the responses. I will post in the FT chat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:35 am 
Supporting Member 2009

hdstbob wrote:
Hi,
I am new to this board and have a few questions regarding Field Target shooting.
I noticed in the Canadian Championship 2010 results there doesn't appear to be any Open Piston Class? Why?
How do you get a TX200 or HW97 to meet the 12 fpe limit of the WFTF division?
Also, there does not appear to be any Piston Gun competitors in the Hunter Division....any reason?
Sorry, if I am over looking something and these questions are lame.

Sorry for the delayed reply, but your questions are not lame!

Slowing either of these rifles down to sub 12fpe typically requires an aftermarket tune kit. It *may* be possible to cut and reshape the HW97 spring to sub 12fpe, but I don't think you can do it with the TX200, as you'll run out of spring preload, and you don't want that.

If you're planning to order a new rifle from a Canadian dealer, and are not in a rush, I *think* you can order a UK version, which will be sub 12fpe. This would be your easiest way of getting a 12fpe rifle.

For the 2010 Canadian Nationals, there wasn't an Open Piston Class, because nobody registered for it - most of the Piston shooters have decided to make the switch and shoot in the WFTF division, myself included. At the end of the day, it's generally accepted that most Piston rifles shoot better at sub 12fpe anyway, so it's just a matter of learning to shoot without a harness - which isn't all that difficult!

Similar story for the Hunter division - there aren't enough Piston shooters to warrant a separate division. There are many capable Piston rifles that could compete well in this division, even at high power (the Diana 54 immediately comes to mind)

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much what you decide to shoot, there's lots of options, just take the plunge and start shooting FT!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:14 pm 

Thanks for the reply Tom. I will try to make it out to at least one of these events this year.