Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:10 pm 

Over the winter I've been playing around with an automatic "resettable" target system.
With the recent mild weather, I was finally able to complete the necessary welding and painting. Both are hard to do inside my small shop...
Basically, it's shoot the 4 down. Then shoot them all back up again, where each target is retained by a rare earth magnet (I love those things!). All day fun without having to manually reset.
Unfortunately, I have no way to measure the exact forces at work, but the force needed to push them down is about the same as the force needed to push them back up. Call it harmonic balance, I guess.
I built the basic frame from 1" square tubing, using 1" flatbar for the risers, and 3/4" bar for the back frame. The 1 1/2" targets are washers welded to 4" L-brackets, with tapered hardwood plugs pressed into the holes. The "pivot bar" was made from 3/8 steel rod. Always a lover of chrome, I used 3/8 plumbing tubing for the spacers.
In the prototype stage, my 2240 was able to activate the target in each direction with no problem at 20 feet. I've changed a few things since then, so final distance testing/weight balancing has yet to be done outside.
I also added a hangpoint on the leg, so I can install either a small GAMO resettable target I have, or the wood/ductseal one I built a couple months back (in the archives here somewhere).
Here're a couple pictures...

Attachments:
Mag target rear.jpg
Mag target rear.jpg [ 36.36 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Mag target full.jpg
Mag target full.jpg [ 33.46 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Mag target front1.jpg
Mag target front1.jpg [ 32.39 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 pm 

nice work!
well done!
hope you get lots of enjoyment from your handywork.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:33 pm 

Very nice!

I would maybe pad the magnets with some thin foam or something, repeated smashing could make them chip down or lose their strength...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:03 pm 

It's hard to see in the picture, but the magnets don't really contact with the arm. They sit about 1/2 mm above the edge of the rear support, preventing that problem. The rare earth magnets provide enough strength to grip the weight nicely from that distance. I did use some "magnetic insulation material" on the upper arms, so they aren't adversely affected by the magnetic field...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:22 am 

Super Cool! Good work!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:43 am 

Great looking target - fun, WOW !!! :D

My only thought on the design would be if the impacts of the pellets on the faceplates will tend to eventually knock the magnets off the rear of the faceplates. Did you use a resilient glue, such as "shoe goop" or similar to fasten the magnets?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:58 am 

Thanks all for the kind words...
Suprmatic, the white dots are the painted hardwood plugs, press-fitted into place, and reinforced by hotmelt glue. These will likely be worn by bullseyes over time (in my case a long time), but are easy to replace. The magnets themselves are on the rear support rail, seen in the picture of the rear side. They stick like crazy, so I haven't glued them on. This way, I can experiment with smaller magnets (with less gauss attraction) if the big ones prove to be too powerful to release the arms when shooting down the upper targets.
The 1.5" washer size also enables use of stick-on target spots...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:30 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Got to love reactive targets and that one looks like a lot of fun! ..
Nice looking build 57scott .. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:43 am 

Great job, well done 8)

http://www.dlairgun.com/ - http://www.airgunhome.com/
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:57 am 

57scott wrote:
Thanks all for the kind words...
Suprmatic, the white dots are the painted hardwood plugs, press-fitted into place, and reinforced by hotmelt glue. These will likely be worn by bullseyes over time (in my case a long time), but are easy to replace. The magnets themselves are on the rear support rail, seen in the picture of the rear side. They stick like crazy, so I haven't glued them on. This way, I can experiment with smaller magnets (with less gauss attraction) if the big ones prove to be too powerful to release the arms when shooting down the upper targets.
The 1.5" washer size also enables use of stick-on target spots...

Gotcha' - very well thought out design.
That will provide many hours of shooting fun. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:04 pm 

I would like to build a setup like yours , it looks well done and does not take up a lot of room, Can you post your measurements for the L arms etc. It would sure save a lot of trial and error. Thank for any info.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:05 pm 

Very well tought. If you shoot as well as you build stuff man you must shoot straight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:46 pm 

Thanks-if only I did...

For trackerbill:
The swingarms are just 4" L-braces, available at fine hardware stores everywhere. You can use other sizes, but these seemd to be the optimal size for the project...
On mine, the rear cross member and upper U-frame are 3/4" and 1" respectively, in 1/8" steel. The base is 1" square tube, welded to a flat 12" x12" base. The swingarms have 1.5" washers welded on the ends, and are counterbalanced on the crossrod (1/4" round stock, with chrome tubing spacers) by offset mounting them through the upper leg . The design's pretty basic, but tolerances are tight due to the strength of the 1" rare-earth magnets. I found I had to put "magnetic insulators" on the rear of the upper swing arm to help balance the fpe requirements, but it works fine.
Since I built this, I've gone with 1.5" dayglo target spots. These just stick on over the swingarm spots, and makes it way easier for my fading eyesight.
If someone seriously wants to build their own version of this, PM me, and I'll try to add some detail and build advice...
If you make more than one, though, I'll be expecting royalties. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 am 

Thanks for the great details it will save me a lot of running and guessing (no royalties, I am a "one off man". Your project certainly deserves looking into. I am too old for that. Having trouble seeing the front sights but still getting some good targets. Thanks so much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:40 pm 

Wow, that is VERY cool :) Great idea and well executed! And i thought cutting the center out of a clip board was inventive....LOL