Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 pm 

Well i got right with it after taking apart the Phantom for a Lube & Tune.

I figure id do the Stoeger first as it is my first Air Rifle.
When i fisrt bought the Stoeger for the most part everything worked good.
The one thing i didn't like was the really stiff trigger. & jurky.

The take down was easy, easyer than the Phantom as far as parts go.

This pic is just of the barrel in the compressor ready to remove the pin.

After reomving the pin the trigger assembly just slids out.
To the right is the safty trigger, it needed a sanding on the piec of matal that comtakes the trigger.
It was pretty rough.

You have to remove the barrel of the main cylinder to release the spring & piston,guide.
Just a screw with a smaller screw to lock it from backing off.

Here is the piston & cylinder. There is no Tauphet in this rifle. The piston also has a guide thats fixed right to the piston inside, can not be removed.
When i cleaned these parts, i discovered rust :shock: .. not rust as you think. But once i got sanding the black crude off, the water was brown, rust color. I used wet & dry paper. So under the black coating rust was starting.

This is the spring and guide for the back that rests agains't the trigger bolt.
These pieces did not have rust.

Here are the pieces all cleaned up. They were all pretty rough, so a bit of sanding was needed for all.

Its together now & Holy crap the one thing i noticed right away cause ive got about 900 rounds through it, is the Trigger ! it is really nice and smooth, almost " touchy " not used to it, lol.
The whole working's are soooooo much nicer :mrgreen:
All contact points of metal got Moly, its so much smoother the whole operation.
Ive got about 60 rounds through it, its smoking a bit, & accuracy was wacky the first 25 shots.
Its getting back to where it used to be, still some rounds to go before im shooting in a penny at 10 yards.
All i can say is the Stoeger is 100% better than it was 8) And i totally recommend taking this Rifle apart if anyone buys one & clean it up & lube it. I got a lot of great tips & info form lots of guys here & i want to thanks you for the info & time through PM :drinkers:
If anyone buys the Stoeger X5 and wants some info i will do my best to give you info on what ive learned.

Cheers. 8)

http://www.dlairgun.com/ - http://www.airgunhome.com/
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:18 pm 

Sorry , there are some typo's ... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:45 pm 

great review.
i have a bee man that seems similar to your gun and story.
my trigger is alot finer than it was stock-8 or 9 pound probably. :evil:

its nice to have a gun that does it for ya. :mrgreen:

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:46 pm 

That's great to hear Stoeger. It's really amazing what a simple lube tune can do.

What are you going to do now that they are both done? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:11 pm 

quickreply7789 wrote:
great review.
i have a bee man that seems similar to your gun and story.
my trigger is alot finer than it was stock-8 or 9 pound probably. :evil:

its nice to have a gun that does it for ya. :mrgreen:

Thansk "quickreply7789"

Ya, the trigger was a huge differance, amazing.
The whole operation of the rifle is like,........... it's a better rifle ! lol.
I like the Stoeger, i wouldn't sell it. I'll buy a seal down the road if it needs it, but it's a keeper.

Cheers 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:15 pm 

SMP wrote:
That's great to hear Stoeger. It's really amazing what a simple lube tune can do.

What are you going to do now that they are both done? :wink:

Hey Sean.

It is so worth ripping a springer apart & do this work, and i really enjoyed it.

Im kind of twitching to go buy another rifle, just so i can take it apart ! Lmao.........
Im already looking to paint the Stock on the Stoeger :rolleyes: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:37 pm 

Hi there Stoeger X5,

Very good report on your work with the Stoeger. Now you have me thinking about taking my X20 apart. :wink: However, I do find it shoots smoothy. Just the trigger was a bit tough, but I installed one of the GTX Gen II trigger on mine a while back. Now the trigger is light and crisp.

Enjoy your X5!

Take care,

NIGHTHAWK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:40 am 

NIGHTHAWK wrote:
Hi there Stoeger X5,

Very good report on your work with the Stoeger. Now you have me thinking about taking my X20 apart. :wink: However, I do find it shoots smoothy. Just the trigger was a bit tough, but I installed one of the GTX Gen II trigger on mine a while back. Now the trigger is light and crisp.

Enjoy your X5!

Take care,

NIGHTHAWK

Thanks "KNIGHTHAWK"
Ive only done my 2 Rifles & it really makes a big difference. Nice trigger upgrade btw.
I just think taking the time to pull the rifle apart, clean it all good, & Get good Moly on all metal contact parts really makes the whole operation of a Springer so much smoother & efficient. Cheers 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 am 

Great pictures and explanations. I just bought an X5 and overall, I love it. I am a airgun Newb and have no experience taking them apart. I would love to do this and was wondering how I go about NOT exploding the spring out of this thing when I take it apart. I know I need some sort od spring copmpressor, but have no idea how to make one that is both safe and easy to use for a low cost.

Also, what grease is considered to be a good brand of moly to use and how much and where exactly do I use it. sorry for all the questions just need some specifics so I don't mess it up or put a spring through my eye.

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:41 am 

Also, what grit sandpaper did you use and would it be more beneficial to get the parts almost to a polished state or is simply getting rid of the factory paint and buurs enough?

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:57 am 

a word of caution to you beginners attempting your own tune on these chinese springers.. Be careful and pay attention to the trigger sear and the piston rod.. When the sear or hook wears out they will fire with very little effort on the trigger, making them very dangerous.. Sometimes the sear will just let go if they're worn.. Be carefull.. Understand how the hook and sear engagement should be before assembling.. Sometimes they need to be touched up..

Also , Using bigger springs in these guns is not a good idea..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:52 am 

rvd wrote:
Also , Using bigger springs in these guns is not a good idea..

I'm picking up a new X5 later today... It's the Canadian version with 495 fps. I'll have my PAL by mid-January and I had been hoping to upgrade the spring on the X5 when I get the PAL. In the States this gun is rated at 800 fps (I don't need more than that for target shooting and general plinking) and someone suggested to me that upgrading the spring to the US version would be easily possible.

So I'm hoping that your suggestion above applies to springs bigger/stronger than the US stock spring for this gun.

Do you (or anyone) see that this would be a problem?

My X5 is arriving as a package deal with scope and case... I've heard that the scope isn't particularly good. With a budget of up to $150, is there a better scope you guys would suggest?

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:07 pm 

Mtl_Biker: If you want ~800fps I'd get an X20 and detune it to 800. It'll be much easier to cock, much smoother to shoot, quieter, and on average more accurate. Do some other mods to quiet the spring and it'll be substantially quieter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:48 am 

The problem is that I don't yet have my PAL (Possession and Acquisition License in Canada) so an X20 is not available to me. I picked up my X5 last night and now I have to wait for the weekend in order to play with it in daylight.

In the States the X5 is standard at 800 fps (designed for it) and it's detuned for the Canadian version to keep it under 495 fps. I imagine that the US and Canadian guns are identical except for the spring. Which is why I'm hoping to upgrade the spring once I receive my PAL.

And once I do get the PAL I will probably get myself a much higher quality gun with 800-1200 fps.

Chevota wrote:
Mtl_Biker: If you want ~800fps I'd get an X20 and detune it to 800. It'll be much easier to cock, much smoother to shoot, quieter, and on average more accurate. Do some other mods to quiet the spring and it'll be substantially quieter.

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:32 am 
Supporting Member

Cheap spring compressor that works. (Sorry but no pics.)

I already had a 16" steel "F" clamp. They're about $20 from Princess Auto or Canadian Tire.

I arranged two 40" 2x4's with one sitting on its edge, and the other laid flat on top of it like a very long letter T and screwed them together.

The F clamp has one fixed end. I drilled out the rivet and removed that fixed end. I cut a groove on the bottom at one end of the lower 2x4 of the T, slid the F clamp bar into it, pinned it and put braces to keep it in the groove. I left about 6" of the bar sticking out so now I had the top of the F clamp just above the top 2x4 with 6" of adjustment, and about 3 1/2" of threaded travel. That's enough for all the guns I own.

I made a moveable traveler to slide up and down the top 2x4 with plywood sides and bottom and pieces underneath to keep if from coming off its 2x4 track. I made vertical holes in the traveler and 2x4 track about 1" apart so the traveler can be pinned at a convenient spot.

The gap between the plywood sides I made so that it is just wide enough to accept the breech end of a barrel meaning I don't have to take the barrel off a gun in order to use the spring compressor.

I also have a piece of plywood cut to fit the end of the traveler, with a lug to fit into the gap and a hole drilled to take a pin to hold it in place. I use that piece for one of my guns with a fixed barrel, or if for some reason I have the barrel off any gun.

I have two bolts padded with some brake line, screwed vertically into the top 2x4 near the F clamp end to avoid sideways movement of the action when the spring is compressed. I have some pieces of 3/16" scrap notched to fit between the bolts and left removable so I can stack as many as are needed for each gun. To prevent upwards of the action under compression, I have a re-usable heavy weight zip tie which goes around the two bolts.

I put feet on the whole thing by simply screwing a couple of pieces of 2x4 about 8" long, sideways on the bottom 2x4. I drilled holes in one of the feet to accept the four different sized punches I use to push the pins out.

To help stability, I glued a bicycle tube patch on the face of the F clamp and it works really well.

I've used this set-up a lot and it hasn't caused me any problems and cost nothing because I already had all the stuff. 8)

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

If someone sees a problem with my set-up, I'd love to know so I can fix it.

Peter :D