Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: PFT Anticipation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:23 pm 

Like many, I have been longing to get out & do some shooting, so in anticipation of the upcoming Pistol Field Target match hopefully still scheduled for Burlington range in April, I decided to check out my 1377 in storage since the last PFT match. Good thing I did. Monday I took it out & found some light surface rust on my Walther barrel with the poor "Blue-job" & around the lettering on the pump tube. Not unusual.
However, while cleaning the rust off with a little oil I discovered several small dents on the tip of the barrel. One of these dents was actually through the crown & seemed to be bulging a bit of material into the bore. INTO the pellet path !!! Could this explain the loopy trajectory that I could see when sighting on paper last year at Burlington?? Was this why my accuracy expectations for this quality made barrel left lacking ? Why had i never noticed these dents before? - It was enough for me to carefully try to recrown the barrel, I lightly filed the face flat again & was left with the one larger dent through the crown. I lightly ground the crown deeper 'till past the dent & bulge but not yet into the lands in the barrel. I polished that up a bit, cleaned my optics & put a drop of oil on the bolt seal.
With the warm temps on Wednesday I went out back for an hour plinking at some spinners, cans, & the skull & bell targets that stayed out over winter. Over all the pistol seemed to be shooting a bit higher than I remembered so, determined to test things further, I took the putty trap inside to thaw out for paper.

Today I got my chance. A bit cool but the wind was just light enough to check things out for an under-500 rig. I set the trap in a new spot across my backyard & found I had almost 20 yards of level ground this way. I marked 10 & 15 yards & set up to shoot. I took the first 5 shots in the chair, over my arm on a cross-legged knee, then decided to sit on my pad & shoot FT style as at a match.

Here are a few pics of my fun and test results. The first 5 shots on ea. target were marked with orange marker. I was pretty pleased with accuracy improvement after target #2 - I can't wait now till she's properly sighted in for PFT. :lol:

-MY 1377 FIELD-TARGET PISTOL w/ Walther barrel, using JSB Exacts 4.53
-10 and 15 YARDS, pad on 10, far chair on 15 yds.
-10 YARDS TO TARGET
-15 YARDS TO TARGET
-PUTTY TRAP w/ GAMO TARGET
10 YARD TEST, aimed crosshair on bull from chair for 5, sat FT for 5 compensating by eye
10 YARD SURPRISE - can't believe my results aiming at bottom of 6 ring! :shock:
15 YARD TEST & Sight-In
-OVER-SIGHT & re-sight
- FINAL 10

I tried to do as well as target 2 but after 2 1/2 hours my fingers were getting so numb I couldn't really feel the trigger well enough. I am happy with the improvement after the repair but still can't figure how or when it could have gotten dented there. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, I decided to score each target so you may notice i "rounded-down" on half-lines to be conservative.

See Y'all at the PFT Match. :wink:

Post subject: Re: PFT Anticipation
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:38 pm 

WOW! 30 + views so far & nobody has a comment. Positive or Negative. Hmmmmm? I am SO looking forward to the "SUB-5" PFT match next month.
I had to "call a friend" to determine and/or confirm the date & whether or not it was a GO. - My "Final Answer," ..... I'll BE THERE.

I have more time off than I want lately; Custom picture framing seems to be at an all-time low due to the economy, & the weather was too crappy to go out & shoot & continue sighting in today, so I decided to address the ol' "roll-pin" issue. I needed to create a new pivot-pin for my 1377 & ended up using some neat info gleaned from this great site.
My last (found) pin worked great until it broke at a match. ( roll-pin on standby,)
Cast metal with plating will NOT stand up over any time, (who knew?;) at least I saved two c-clips & the nylon washers from that particular experiment.

I needed something HARDER for a pivot pin & a suggestion from one of our machinist members re: using the smooth end of a drill bit, - SO HARD & yet also available, lead to the creation of this hand-made pin ....

... NOT EASY ... but do-able. Two cheap files were nearly sacrificed to a certain degree & I even used the razor-blade to shave the nylon washers in half the hard way, then sanded them to fit. - 3 hours at least with no machine-shop. :roll: but I figure the less time i watch the wandering roll-pin is more time concentrating on the game. :idea:

- 3 more pix 4 fun.

- WHERE THERE IS A WILL ....
- THERE IS A WAY !

D.I.Y. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:06 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Nice job with the mods PK..
I too am looking forward to the next match.. See you there...

Thanks for sharing! ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:56 pm 

Mc Gyver would be proud!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 pm 

Its looking good Rob, I just pulled "Snoopy" out the other day and started tweaking everything as well, can't wait for this next match...

Is that a scope on there? I thought you had a red-dot? what class are you shooting? :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:52 pm 

Hi Guys. I'm glad to see that there are others feeling that anticipation too. :wink: Time to " SCOPE it out, " & get that PFT rig up to snuff if you're considering checking things out folks.
- jgoodz, - I shoot Pistol Field Target in the "Scoped" division & that's a 4x32 Crosman " Air Guns" scope on my " American Classic " 1377.
I look forward to to seeing you & Snoop-Dog, alias Vulture & WW1 Flying Ace, a.k.a. the Red Baron so we can continue our pumper "comparison."
- Thx. Parker, I know I'm the only one who has handled it since receiving the barrel in the mail, but never saw the wee dents before, after re-crowning slightly I decided to re-test over the Chrony because the weather was CRAP the last couple days.

- MID-MARCH ACCUMULATION
- 'S NO - FUN

Certainly not plinkin' in the backyard. So I thought I would test the rig indoors.

A few results now for 1377/2289 enthusiasts.

To clarify- mods on my 1377 at present include replacing both the breech & barrel, the breech is steel & has a dovetail to accept a scope & the barrel is a Walther Match-Grade barrel for 10 m pistols; I had to lightly sand the barrel to initially fit it to the breech.
I did try a "flat-top" piston to try to reduce pumping but reverted to original piston. Trigger smoothed out internally at contact points & also added a 'trigger-surface-widener?" as you can see in the pics. The transfer-port was enlarged slightly to get it close to 500 fps & the wooden pump handle was added to avoid pinching my hand & add weight to the front for FT style shooting.

Sometimes logic supersedes logistics though, & you end up trying to make sense of the accumulated information.

Thus, finally, my Chrony results over the last couple of snowy days.

I wanted to see if re-crowning made a difference to overall Feet Per Second speed besides improving accuracy.
Yes it did. by @ 3.8 to5 fps. & my pistol was totally shooting 490 + a little at 11 PUMPS. Now it was going OVER 500 by as much as 6 fps. ( too high to be fair with a PFT match.

***** 10 Shots - 11 PUMPS - JSB EXACT 4.53
LOW-494.6 fps
HIGH-506.1 fps
DIFF- 11.5 fps
AVERAGE OVERALL -496.36 fps

***** 5 Shots - 11 PUMPS- JSB HEAVY- 4.52, & .127 g heavier. (for fun)
LOW- 447.9 fps
HIGH- 457.0 fps
DIFF- 9.1 fps
AVERAGE OVERALL - 451.78

***** 10 Shots - 10 PUMPS - JSB EXACT 4.53
LOW-478.0 fps
HIGH-489.8 fps
DIFF- 11.8 fps
AVERAGE OVERALL - 484.0 fps

Looks like I will be going with 10 Pumps & my regular pellets, but now I need to re-sight using 10.

TOTALLY for FUN I decided to see how much a jump you can get pump for pump with a 1377 so took two shots each from a single pump up to 11 pumps averaged the two shots & measured the jump.

1 pump avg. 168.0 fps - 2 pumps avg. 257.5 fps - jump 89.5 fps
2-257.5 - jump 67 fps
3-324.5 - jump 46.8
4-371.3 - jump 28.9
5-400.2 - jump 22.45
6-422.65-jump 21.6
7-444.25-jump 20.5
8-464.75-jump 13.5
9-478.25-jump 13.5
10-495.5- jump 17.25
11-496.36-jump only 0.86

All very interesting of course, I still need to sight in better but learn more & hope this info is useful to somebody out there.

With any luck, I will see a few of you at the PFT match :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:12 pm 

THAT is a lot of pumping......

have you considered a Zoraki?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:39 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
THAT is a lot of pumping......

Yeah, but I have to say that at my age, a little extra pumping-exercise can do naught but good; whether on an FT course or in bed. :oops:

Thanx 4 reply, I'm going to have to google the model of air-pistol you mentioned. Do you have a link?

In the meantime, seeing as I have to re-sight the unit in hand for the eminent "shoot" anyway, :oops: :D - I may try a new test method this weekend to see how much air is leaking out via the transfer port. With the recent Chrony test indicating a variance of @ 11 fps on average, shot to shot, with an equal number of pumps, there can be only 3 ways this variance can be reduced.

1) - It may be pellet weight/diameter difference. ( with JSB's that's bottom on the list.)
2) - It may be air escaping around the pump-piston-seal. ( ? doubted with the recent numbers.)
2) - It may be air escaping around the metal-on-metal contact between the outer edges of the transfer port & the pump-tube. ( This could be it.)

Formerly, i have tested this possibility by tearing a 1 inch-ish square or SMALLER from a bit of tissue or TP; fold it in half, pump or prep the gun, lay the folded TP in the valley between the barrel & tube & fire (in a safe direction,) & see if the tissue moves.
My new idea for this test was inspired by a TV commercial for America's Funniest Vids that gets a lot of "Air" in Canada where an infant "caught on tape" blows a wee fart & sends up a HUGE plume of white dust. It's cute, Seen it ? I'm going to "borrow" some talc off of the Mrs. this weekend & see if it jibes.

I hope people view their 1377's differently. - Me gotta be cheap. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:50 pm 

Hey Alaus, neat quip, have you seen Mac Gruber, the Movie ? It's a SPOOF on the TV show from the late SEVENTIES & is a lot of fun for adults @ our age to watch. :D
I do have to say that us frugal & ingenious NEWFIES have all of em BEAT when it comes to making a lot out of little. Move Over Mac Gyver !!!!!!!!!!!!

In my fervor, I ALMOST missed your reply so thanx. -PK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Nice job on that pivot pin 8) Shows that you don't need a machine shop. Just perseverence and some hand tools. 8) But a cheap dremel may sure make upgrades and repairs easier. :wink: And the more pumpin the better. Even at our age. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:02 pm 

Thanx 4 reply Re: pivot-pin Scruffie. I spent @ 3 hours creating that because i couldn't find a single item that would have done the job at the local hardware shops & Necessity IS the MOTHER of INVENTION after all... It also makes pumping the rig up easier ( due to smoother & HARDER metal,) than it did with a Roll-Pin
I have to thank one BC machinist, ( i can't remember the name,) who mentioned making them for sale on THIS site, who inspired me to TRY to make it by hand. One thing, though, - do NOT use a titanium plated bit if using hand-tools. I ended up using my "Princess-Auto-imported-knockoff " of a dremel tool to finally cut the shank off of the bit. It worked, & I wondered if i shouldn't of used it for the rest of the job. Then i realized that with the high RPM's being hand-held it was safer for my fingers etc. using jeweler's files. :wink: - Slow & Steady won the race, - the brothers Grimm would'a been proud !

Since then, I tried the experimental method of testing air-leakage that i mentioned above. Took the pistol apart twice, made ever-so-slight mods to the transfer-port parts each time & wound up with a tiny increase in F.P.S. & a teeny-weeny improvement in consistency overall, so the concept was at least minimally viable. I now know that there is a slight loss of air around the valve-pin on the rear end of the valve as well but you absolutely can NOT modify that !

Once again, I hope this info helps SOMEONE, & also, I hope it encourages anybody with an under/500 pistol to come out & see what the FUN is ALL about with the CANADIAN Field-Target Game. :)

Here is an URL to a very short U-Tube vid Re: the " FART-TEST. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FTcueWrglA

Spring is almost Sprung, EVERYBODY get out & have some FUN !!! :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:57 pm 

I put a little O-ring on the top of my transfer port to seal it off, not sure what the size is though...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:17 pm 

Yeah, jgoodz, they come with a little rubber seal for the bottom of the T.P but not the top ?? So since my last post I have partially disassembled the pistol twice to try fitting an upper seal on the original TP, then fully disassembled once to entirely replace the original set-up with a bit of good-old poly-tube.
Monday, I tested this over the chrony & got the following 10 shot string - it was just right at 11 pumps with less fluctuation overall in speed.
492.3 fps
I figured this would be pretty reliable at the target end for PFT and actually got the chance today to re-sight after making the changes.
The backyard actually warmed up enough & most of the snow almost gone so I went for it even though there was a light wind off & on.
Here's a pic of the last three targets I shot today after peppering several to sight in even this much.

I know I got to chattin' about some mod-stuff on this thread, but I hope starting the PFT conversation early encourages some more of you to get on out to the upcoming match, after all, even a 1377 can provide hours & hours of enjoyment. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:26 pm 

POWDERKEG wrote:
Yeah, jgoodz, they come with a little rubber seal for the bottom of the T.P but not the top ??

there is a picture in my "Snoopy thread" of my transfer port with top and bottom seals...I can pull a measurement off of that O-ring if need to get one...

Looks like your about ready eh? :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:11 am 

Did a little sighting in today with the Alfa Pistol and I think it is ready. As for me, we'll see on the 10th.