Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: FWB Model 2 has arrived.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:15 am 

Unbelievable quality, slick mechanics, and the first target I shot was my best score ever - with right handed grips, yet. Beautiful, beautiful gun. Thanks so much, Danorama!

The longer sight radius, heavier weight, and incredible trigger are something I've never experienced before. I especially like the heft. I can simply hold it steadier than the much lighter guns I've been shooting, like the HW40. And hit what I'm aiming at, within reason. I'm still not what you'd call talented.

But I'm sticking to my guns, and not going to use it until I break 200 with my HW40. (Or at least, I'll try. :oops: :mrgreen: ) I'm having a friend make some southpaw grips for me, so I won't shoot it much until then - I also need a refill clamp and hose for loading the cartridges from my paintball tanks I use on my Talon. That's ordered and coming in soon from our local Hardware/Paintball store. Buddy Daryl loaded my cartridges last week, but I can't pester him for that kind of thing. So I'll wait.

Probably won't be able to post three rounds with it until then, anyway.

As a final comment, I would think that this gun has spoiled me. Badly. Probably won't buy much else in the way of cheap guns anymore.

But then again, I don't think I'd roll this gun in the mud, so who knows. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:15 pm 

I'll weigh the gun when I drag my kitchen scale out of mothballs. And I seriously doubt I'll ever get tired of the FWB. Even if I stopped target shooting, I'd just keep it to fondle. Like an older but beautiful woman with large breasts. :twisted:

I stopped watching hockey a few years ago. I am a long suffering Canucks fan. I attended their very first game, when they lost 3-1 to LA, and Barry Wilkens scored their very first goal. I was at the televised draw when they got Dale Tallon rather than Gilbert Perrault. I attended the games when they were in the Cup finals, and watched them dismantle two teams that probably would have won cups the next year or two.

The current edition, good as they are, has nobody any of the other top teams fear. They're a team of twinkies. They won't get past the second round without a Getzlaf and a Scott Stevens. I've completely had it.

I have suffered through managerial incompetence that even Torontonians would blush at. Quothe the Raven nevermore. I now watch American Football and WWE. That's it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:33 pm 

Lets see that beauty and some groups... :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:25 pm 

v76 wrote:
The habs are doing fairly well with what we could call a team of twinkies - a lot of young players under 5'10"... and one namely is clocking at a whopping 5'7" 175lbs, desharnais. I hope they won't have to face the Flyers this year again... :mrgreen:

It's okay to have a team of twinkies if the other team is like Boston - all oversize goons. That's overkill and doesn't work, either. I am actually pulling for the Habs. They've always been my team since the Flower days. :D

J - pictures coming up. Message received. Loud and clear. :lol: But not groups . . . . yet. Wait'll I can shoot one that's worth posting! I ain't exactly Dead-Eye Dick :oops: :oops: :mrgreen: even with a Stradivarius.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:54 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:

Lets see that beauty and some groups... :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinkers:

http://www.dlairgun.com/ - http://www.airgunhome.com/
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:22 pm 

v76 wrote:
Congrats! Happy you like the new guns and it's great that you're sticking to your objectives with the HW40. The HW is still a great gun but the olympic-designed 10m pistol are in another class, your scores will definitely go up. Ask p17, he just went from a springer to a 46m!

Indeed, congrats on the fine new machine! It's such a relief for me to go from fighting to control a feisty springer, fun as it was, to a finely made tool which delivers exactly what I put into it. My best score with the Gamo Center pistol was a 528, with about a dozen targets altogether going over 83%. With the 46m my first 'official' target was a 535. My personal best is up to 537, with a bit more than a week using this pistol. Average is 87.9% or 527/600 with the Baikal since getting it on the 13th over 15 sessions. With the Gamo my progress was good initially, and jumped every time I modified the pistol to a more target shooting friendly condition, but with a muzzle velocity probably around 350fps (perhaps I'm being generous - I think the spring is bagged) and only a 7" barrel which was drilled crookedly with rather weak rifling, my average just couldn't seem to creep over about 82% no matter how focused I got. So yeah, my own long-winded way of saying that indeed the hardware does make a heck of a difference. And it's just more fun knowing that when I score well, it's because I shot well, and when I score badly it's because I shot badly, no randomness involved. You're gonna appreciate that.

I'm no hockey fan. Grew up with it though, from before the Canucks existed, as my stepdad was and remains a rabid fan. He and my little brother attend the odd game, shout at the TV a lot, and generally get stressed out when the 'nuckers get close come playoff time. I couldn't care less really. Bunch of big kids getting paid WAY too much money to bash a puck around. woot. To each his own. But I do remember there being a considerable difference between the olden days and the current lacklustre bunch. Tiger Williams. Guy could draw a crowd all on his own. And there was some goalie or other who seemed to have an invisible shield. And bunches of incredibly gifted Scandinavian players. Lots of powerhouse guys who could hit like a train and skate like an Olympian. These days, well, not so much it seems, but then again I don't watch the game. All second-hand hockey for me. Doesn't give you cancer, does it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm 

Congrats on your new FWB....I had the same feeling when I got my first FWB....It makes you want more....

Cheers :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:02 pm 

moltogordo
My thought is "you have it, USE IT."
Just raise your score %. If you are shooting 40% a score of 160/400, then up that to 50%, then 60% and keep going till you are up at 80%. Above 80% go in 5% steps, as score improvements gets harder the further above 80% you go.

For match shooting, you will shoot much better with a match pistol, because you are not fighting limitations of the pistol. For example, for AP the trigger on my Walther CPM-1 is worlds better than my Webly sportster, followed closely by the comparative lack of recoil. These 2 items made a HUGE difference. Both my AP and AR scores jumped when I when from sportster to match AP and ARs.

When you shoot with a top level match pistol that has been fitted to you, "there are no excuses." If it is a miss, it is YOUR fault.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:45 pm 

I've already shot much better scores with the FWB - it simply is a more substantial pistol in my hand, and I can hold it much steadier.

I have taken the grips off of it, however, so a friend of mine can make some left hand ones for me so I won't be shooting the pistol for a while, anyway. I'll have to post this month's score once again with my HW 40. But that's okay.

PS: Looks like I won't be posting this month anyway. I just drove the point of my chef's knife into my left hand, like a total idiot. It looks like I might have to have a couple of stitches. I was trying to cut some frozen butter. :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:21 pm 

Dang! I hate it when that happens. I was working a violinmaker's knife into a piece of maple once, trying to figure out whether the piece was salvageable for a fiddle back by finding how deep the single beetle larvae had eaten. Got busy thinkin' about a girl... and JAB, got stuck and needed a stitch in the artery at the base of my thumb, and two stitches to close. Not terribly debilitating but if I'd been shooting pistol at the time it would have meant a week off at least. Best luck healing up. Sucks to be you. I'm ridin' a 540 score for the month bro, so hey, it's all good here. Working on a new grip for my new 46m too. A bit stuck on lack of hardware to finish up the adjustable rake angle, so might not get a chance before the deadline to shoot again for score. The match is fun though eh? Refreshes every month, never know how one's fates are going to go.