Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Chairgun Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:38 pm 

Hi Guys

I have a few questions about Chairgun. I do have a Hawke Sidewinder x16 scope. One thing that is questionable is the table that they give you about the MOA how accurate is that and do I go -7 clicks in the negative way or how does that really work for my turrets that I have for my particular scope.

Any tips will help, Thanks guys
Biagio26

Post subject: Re: Chairgun Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:08 pm 

You can fine tune the number of clicks in ChairGun to make it exactly match your scope.... The bigger question is likely to be how accurately does your scope return to the same point when you adjust it.... Try this:

Set up some graph paper with a dot in the center at 50 yards and shoot 3 shots at the dot.... If your scope is supposed to be 1/4" per click at 100 yards (most are, some at 1/8") adjust it "up" 16 clicks and shoot 3 more shots, still aiming at the dot.... Then go "right" 16 clicks.... then "down" 16 clicks.... then "left" 16 clicks.... each time shooting 3 more shots aiming at the dot.... You should have a six shot group where you started and 3 - three shots groups centered 2" apart in a perfect square.... If the scope is 4 clicks per inch at 100 yards, it would be 8 clicks per inch at 50 yards.... so 16 clicks should be 2 inches apart for each group....

If the pattern is square but the center of the groups are not 2" apart, then use the widget in ChairGun to correct for that.... Then the table in ChairGun will match your scope.... If the pattern is not square.... or the fifth group does not return to the same POI as the original group (which is common unless the scope is of top quality - ie expensive).... then using "clicks" for FT shooting is likely to be a real PITA.... and you would be better to use Mil-Dots to estimate the various POIs at different ranges....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:18 pm 

Only use scope clicks for range zero changes while shooting, if the scope has accurate adjustments, as Bob noted. Usually Model 3200 Bushnels or higher quaility will work - ie; priced $350.00 or more should be OK.

I would not trust any lower cost Bushnel no Tasco (except for 20 year old or older World Class), higher priced Weavers should be OK, all Burris should be OK as well as Bushnel 4200's, 6500's etc, Leupolds, Swarovsky, etc. I've had 44mm Simmons that were OK, others that weren't. About all $1,000 scopes should be OK, but ALL scopes must be PROVEN by you first. Don't trust a scope unless you've proven it first. I've heard Nightforce are also good as well as Sightron.

These are for Non springers unless detailed otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:07 pm 

Quote:
ALL scopes must be PROVEN by you first

Yup, regardless of cost....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:03 pm 

Thanks guys
I have a $540 Hawke Sidewinder. Apparently it is very good scope. I also Have a $800 Leupold Air rifle scope, a 9 -20 power EFR scope. But you have to addjust it in the front of the scope, no side paralax.

Thanks
Biagio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:26 pm 

Hi Guys
One more thing
Apparently you have to make tour zero at 25y. So I sight in my scope at 25y and then I loosen my turret, and move it to 0. Do I have it right or am I confused. One more thing, I need a way to adjust my distance on my sideweel. I need some small strip of something that I can write down and put it on my wheel,

thanks guys, and thank you very much for the tips.
Baigio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:50 pm 

Yes, zero the scope then reset the turrets to zero. Then you can click for elevation and always return the turret to your zero point.
For the sidewheel, you can simply use masking tape to hand mark your ranges, then buy some self adhesive printer paper and using excel, numbers, autocad etc make a cleaner, more permanent tape for the wheel.